BD1N Steel

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Rich53

BD1N Steel

Post by Rich53 »

Here's a picture of my new Begleiter. I own several of these knives and I've been very happy with them.

This one's in BD1N steel. Anyone else own a knife with a BD1N blade? I've heard it's pretty new and it's considered higher end in terms of performance.
20220121_190528.jpg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: BD1N Steel

Post by DM11 »

From what I understand at the moment. Carpenter BD1N is a modern take on the GIN-1 steel Spyderco used back in the late 80's and the 90's. I consider it a good basic stainless steel. It may have a little more performance because of its powder melt technology than other basic stainless steels. I sure would not consider it to be anywhere close to the present day super steels that are out there. YMMV. :)
David
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

DM11 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 pm From what I understand at the moment. Carpenter BD1N is a modern take on the GIN-1 steel Spyderco used back in the late 80's and the 90's. I consider it a good basic stainless steel. It may have a little more performance because of its powder melt technology than other basic stainless steels. I sure would not consider it to be anywhere close to the present day super steels that are out there. YMMV. :)
I'm not really into knives for heavy use or steel characteristics / technology but you seem to know DM11 - What steels are "super steels out there today"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Rich53 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:09 am Here's a picture of my new Begleiter. I own several of these knives and I've been very happy with them.

This one's in BD1N steel. Anyone else own a knife with a BD1N blade? I've heard it's pretty new and it's considered higher end in terms of performance.

20220121_190528.jpg
Check out the app " Knife Steel Composition".
I downloaded from Play Store to my Android devices.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

tnorton wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:32 pm
DM11 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 pm From what I understand at the moment. Carpenter BD1N is a modern take on the GIN-1 steel Spyderco used back in the late 80's and the 90's. I consider it a good basic stainless steel. It may have a little more performance because of its powder melt technology than other basic stainless steels. I sure would not consider it to be anywhere close to the present day super steels that are out there. YMMV. :)
I'm not really into knives for heavy use or steel characteristics / technology but you seem to know DM11 - What steels are "super steels out there today"
Some steels that are considered super steels M390, CPM S90V & S110V, K390, PMA11, Maxamet. There are many others but this will give a feel of whats out there today. Of course the concept of super steels is a subjective thing so YMMV. :)
David
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

DM11 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 pm
tnorton wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:32 pm
Some steels that are considered super steels M390, CPM S90V & S110V, K390, PMA11, Maxamet. There are many others but this will give a feel of whats out there today. Of course the concept of super steels is a subjective thing so YMMV. :)
Thanks David for the information - I'm a collector of older traditional pocket knives - I'm interested is the steel the reason some tacticals are more expensive - It seems from outside looking in on these type knives you can pay a wide range for approx the same design knife - Trying to figure out why some of the same size and similar design knives sell for 55 dollars up to 255 dollars - just curious ::shrug::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There is a great deal of good info about various steels on custom knife-maker Jay Fisher’s web site, including the pros and cons of each. I don’t find BD1N there but there are so many steels available no one site can have them all.

I see discussion on forums about super steel this, and super steel that, and have to shake my head in wonder as to why and how any lay person can tell the difference in performance. There are trade-offs between strength, toughness, hardness, brittleness, ease of sharpening etc. What is not included on the steel charts is a thorough unbiased analysis of all those attributes, including and after the maker’s heat treat and tempering is done. Which can make a lot of difference and can vary from maker to maker. To quote Jay Fisher
Choosing a higher alloy steel type will not make up for inadequate hardening and tempering process. It will just make a more expensive failure.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:36 pm There is a great deal of good info about various steels on custom knife-maker Jay Fisher’s web site, including the pros and cons of each. I don’t find BD1N there but there are so many steels available no one site can have them all.

I see discussion on forums about super steel this, and super steel that, and have to shake my head in wonder as to why and how any lay person can tell the difference in performance. There are trade-offs between strength, toughness, hardness, brittleness, ease of sharpening etc. What is not included on the steel charts is a thorough unbiased analysis of all those attributes, including and after the maker’s heat treat and tempering is done. Which can make a lot of difference and can vary from maker to maker. To quote Jay Fisher
Choosing a higher alloy steel type will not make up for inadequate hardening and tempering process. It will just make a more expensive failure.
Ken
Yeah. I have a couple $300 knives I keep because I love the way they look. However, I would never break my bank buying only expensive knives.

While high end knives with exotic "super steels" are cool, why would you need a really expensive knife just to carry around with you for opening boxes? If you have a job that involves lots of cutting tasks, like stripping cable or whatever, I can see buying a higher end knife for daily use. Expense needs to be balanced with utility IMO.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”