Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Madmarco »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:24 am I impulse bought this Camillus USA Yello Jacket 711 Stockman for around $20, and was beginning to get a little nervous, as the seller's photos gave me the impression it had belt sander damage. Not a single photo showed the knife open.

However, that was actually a stain on the blade. Rust was its only problem--especially on the inside of the backsprings. Cleaned off well, however.

KIMG1362.JPG

Interestingly enough, it is a second. I'm guessing the seller tried to hide this issue.

KIMG1365.JPG

Functionally, there is no issue. I suspect the culprit is a crack in the Delrin near the rocker pin.

KIMG1364.JPG

Needed some sharpening work, which didn't take long to get a working edge. I'm nearing proper shaving sharp every time I sharpen. I have found that as long as the knife still has its factory bevel, the suggestion Buck gives of coloring in the bevel with a Sharpie marker works great to keep the right angle.
Nice save Cody! ::tu:: Now you have yourself a perfectly good user! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

QS, Boji, Cody ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Three great looking knives! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm
Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm I've said it elsewhere, but Italian design is top drawer and your City knife is no exception. Love it.
I believe you're correct. On this one is the blade really tight opening and closing or smooth with a good snap?
David, the LW Loveless "City Knife" is a well-built slip joint folder; the action is silky smooth with a solid but somewhat light snap both opening & closing. Neither the opening pull nor the closing snap are super hard---it's certainly no nail-breaker nor is the snap as strong as most GECs I have owned. I believe it's meant to be more of a "gentleman's folder" intended for fairly light-duty cutting chores.
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I got this Blackjack lockback "Yukon Skinner" for the gnarly Stag handle. When I got it in hand, I was immediately impressed with the fit & finish, which is not too surprising for a knife made in Seki, Japan. At 4-5/16" closed it's the biggest folder in my collection...it's also the heaviest. This baby is a very solid, sturdy knife that is clearly made for hard work (although it won't be doing any skinning or other cutting under my watch...strictly a safe queen to be handled and admired as a piece of cutlery art). I really like the tang stamp, too. ::nod::

P1230006.JPG
P1230008.JPG
P1230010.JPG
P1230013.JPG
P1230015.JPG
P1230014.JPG
P1230007.JPG
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Gnarly
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 am I got this Blackjack lockback "Yukon Skinner" for the gnarly Stag handle. When I got it in hand, I was immediately impressed with the fit & finish, which is not too surprising for a knife made in Seki, Japan. At 4-5/16" closed it's the biggest folder in my collection...it's also the heaviest. This baby is a very solid, sturdy knife that is clearly made for hard work (although it won't be doing any skinning or other cutting under my watch...strictly a safe queen to be handled and admired as a piece of cutlery art). I really like the tang stamp, too. ::nod::

P1230006.JPGP1230008.JPGP1230010.JPGP1230013.JPGP1230015.JPGP1230014.JPGP1230007.JPG
Big beautiful solid knife ~Q~! ::tu:: Garry(Quick Steel)had bought one directly from JDK, but unfortunately his came in not so great shape. He wasn't pleased about a number of issues and ended up returning it, but yours looks to be in perfect condition. I have their Mamba with a dagger blade, and it too is only for admiring and cleaning, and is one of my favorite knives! Congratulations on a great score! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 am I got this Blackjack lockback "Yukon Skinner" for the gnarly Stag handle. When I got it in hand, I was immediately impressed with the fit & finish, which is not too surprising for a knife made in Seki, Japan. At 4-5/16" closed it's the biggest folder in my collection...it's also the heaviest. This baby is a very solid, sturdy knife that is clearly made for hard work (although it won't be doing any skinning or other cutting under my watch...strictly a safe queen to be handled and admired as a piece of cutlery art). I really like the tang stamp, too. ::nod::

P1230006.JPGP1230008.JPGP1230010.JPGP1230013.JPGP1230015.JPGP1230014.JPGP1230007.JPG
Spectacular, Q!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That is quite a handsome knife!
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

A great knife anyone would be proud to have in their collection!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

📬 Got this Bulldog trapper in. ::tu::
Attachments
20220123_114358.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Nice trapper Loose. Love the stag on that Blackjack.

I got in this knife from Ali at Eight Knives. Love these bird’s head bolsters on these Persian made knives. I must say I love the blade geometry on this one too. It wasn’t hair shaving sharp when I got it so I got out my new KME sharpening system and went from 300 grit to 600 then 1500 and in less than 10 minutes this thing will shave hair and slice paper in multiple directions with one stroke. One of the sharpest knives I have. The stag on this is impressive with the bark remaining right up to the bolsters and the file work on the back spring and the blade is very well done. It’s a new EDC for me and I’m loving it.
Attachments
B392CA7B-0480-4FEE-AC76-F652DF12287C.jpeg
14905C6B-B2BC-42E4-BA65-74286A1A36A0.jpeg
5213F606-9B2C-4F66-BC40-62072F4B964E.jpeg
D3288084-19FD-402C-A5FD-F032BA9EDEE8.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 pm Nice trapper Loose. Love the stag on that Blackjack.

I got in this knife from Ali at Eight Knives. Love these bird’s head bolsters on these Persian made knives. I must say I love the blade geometry on this one too. It wasn’t hair shaving sharp when I got it so I got out my new KME sharpening system and went from 300 grit to 600 then 1500 and in less than 10 minutes this thing will shave hair and slice paper in multiple directions with one stroke. One of the sharpest knives I have. The stag on this is impressive with the bark remaining right up to the bolsters and the file work on the back spring and the blade is very well done. It’s a new EDC for me and I’m loving it.
Thanks Mark! ::handshake::
Very nice looking knife you shared, like that you're not bothered by sharpening it too. ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 pm Nice trapper Loose. Love the stag on that Blackjack.

That's a real beauty, Mark! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Loose Arrow wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:18 pm 📬 Got this Bulldog trapper in. ::tu::
Classy looking knife, Loose Arrow!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

toomanyknives wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 pm
Loose Arrow wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:18 pm 📬 Got this Bulldog trapper in. ::tu::
Classy looking knife, Loose Arrow!
Thank you Kerry, glad you liked it! ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I love that BD Trapper lA. It just oozes quality.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:12 pm I love that BD Trapper lA. It just oozes quality.
Always glad to hear of your approval Garry, thanks! ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, you have a very interesting and impressive knife. You mentioned the back spring. I agree, I think the file work is considerably beyond the norm. But the stag, the bolsters and blade all add up to a beautiful package.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful knife L.A.! ::tu:: Great addition to your collection! 8)
8)
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 pm
Beautiful knife L.A.! ::tu:: Great addition to your collection! 8)
Thanks Marco, you're always posting cool ones too. Take care. ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

So you found a good one did you Mark! ::tu:: I was looking at your knife until I found the model I ended up buying which is a bit longer than your model. I hope your new knife has all the aspects you were looking for. It sure does look good with it's bolsters and covers, and now that you've sharpened it to your satisfaction it'll make a great user. Congratulations for taking the plunge! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thank you TMK, Garry and Mark. It is a beauty. One to take out and show off.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Fabulous knife Q, beautiful stag and design. Killer swedge too. Wow.
Loose A, that's some sweet bone color and condition. Gorgeous.
Sharpshiney, that's a fabulous looking knife. Great blade profile and the stag. Cool bolsters too.
Great pick ups all. Great page to scroll through. Congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 am Loose A, that's some sweet bone color and condition. Gorgeous.
Great pick ups all. Great page to scroll through. Congrats.
Thanks Iman ::handshake::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Postal person left this in my mailbox 📬 yestiddy another small congress to pare and clean my fingernails with. ::super_happy::
Attachments
20220125_090935.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”