The whittler page

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The whittler page

Post by doglegg »

Dinadan wrote:Doglegg thank you for a couple of very interesting comparison photos. I agree that all three of those are fine knives!
Thanks you, I sure enjoy them.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote:Dogleg, never met a Wharncliffe whittler I didn't like. Three beauties, especially that Case bone. Nice seeing the size comparison instead of reading about it. Good info and nice knives.
It was surprising to me to see them side by side as I thought them about the same size. Thanks.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

'Ol S&M sheep foot red bone time
Attachments
WP_20180302_013.jpg
WP_20180302_011.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Honey bone whit today
Attachments
WP_20180312_016.jpg
WP_20180312_022.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's a Wostenholm Whittler with what I believe are dyed pressed stag or horn handles (if I remember Lyle's info it was horn?).. Blades have great hard snap, tight and the tolerance between blades is amazing - that Sheffield quality. The spine of the master blade is pretty cool - almost 3/16" thick at tang and tapers down to the point like an axe from top view :) .. It is still showing some original crocus polish on blades and very lightly sharpened… Nice wedged spring and no doubt a whittler that is a solid feeling knife! Hammered pins - I’m guessing early 1900s on date (maybe 1890s..)…
Closed Mark Side DSCN3341.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN3361.JPG
Blades Open 1 DSCN3467.JPG
Blades Closed - Spines DSCN3398.JPG
Wedged Spring DSCN3417.JPG
Tang Stamp - Master DSCN3486.JPG

Post by Ivoryman »

Last century Winchester. If I had to pick one knife only it would probably be a whittler. 3 blades, straight edge, curved edge, different options. If I had to pick one, but thankfully I don't. Much more fun to mix it up.
Attachments
WP_20180319_045.jpg
WP_20180319_059.jpg
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Ivoryman wrote:Last century Winchester. If I had to pick one knife only it would probably be a whittler. 3 blades, straight edge, curved edge, different options. If I had to pick one, but thankfully I don't. Much more fun to mix it up.
That's a good looking knife you have there. ::tu::
Love the wharncliff blade and handles.I also like whittlers

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote:Last century Winchester. If I had to pick one knife only it would probably be a whittler. 3 blades, straight edge, curved edge, different options. If I had to pick one, but thankfully I don't. Much more fun to mix it up.
You got a good one there Ivoryman. Every thing perfect about that knife in my book. And great photo as well. Congrats.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this bone handled whittler over the weekend. It is marked A. W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. It has the usual whittler layout with the 3 blades and tapered back, but this one has a double sided file in place of one of the smaller pen blades. Also stamped on the back of the blades is a large X with the letters
X over L N over T stamped within the large X. Anyone familiar with what this means?

IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2309.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Ivoryman, those are such sweet looking S&M’s. Love those. I also am a big fan of Winchesters, so drooling over the Winchester whittler posted,nice.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OC, the XLNT stamp was used by Kastor and is a clever abbreviation for EXCELLENT.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I can't believe it's been over a year since I posted anything in this fine thread. Getting old and lazy I guess. Here are a few.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

orvet wrote:OC, the XLNT stamp was used by Kastor and is a clever abbreviation for EXCELLENT.
Thanks Dale. I just wasn't reading the markings phonetically enough. LOL
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Greg,
I love those first two bone-handled Empires! ::drool::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

orvet wrote:Greg,
I love those first two bone-handled Empires! ::drool::
Thanks Dale! It's hard to beat that Empire jigged bone. It's definitely a favorite of mine. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Attachments
938B6407-3D61-4E83-9A2A-59E7221A4F00.jpeg
910720D3-C481-4DAE-8307-0CB787317904.jpeg
15CCDA0E-A7B3-4262-8620-E8399813E7FC.jpeg
924BD7CD-E4E3-44F2-BF93-34F419B99D0E.jpeg
60885485-E8F5-43A7-B5F9-C7A8CB81FC04.jpeg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Attachments
B9C8F28A-A109-4514-9F22-AB122A15F3E8.jpeg
449330B9-88C8-48D2-A7F4-D8B84267CC72.jpeg
0B4229EA-D719-403C-A011-69C36BE84F92.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Fabulous Ben, great vintage stuff.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
Attachments
CB4FB6EF-81EB-4919-9EDE-32E4E06C71A0.jpeg
1144332E-4859-4945-8A13-34092A75FF2E.jpeg
AA699FE5-EA34-4383-882A-EDFA9517CF4F.jpeg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

doglegg wrote:Just for comparison sake, GEC 57, Case 6355 and Schatt and Morgen 43 1/2. The 57 is the smallest and the 431/2 slightly the largest. The Case is the smoothest. All 3 great knives.DSCN4072.JPGDSCN4073.JPG
Three incredible whittlers, doglegg! ::tu:: Just for pedantry's sake, and to help in identifying the knives, by those photos I'm about 85% sure that the 6355 is actually a Case Classics whittler built by Queen on the same frame as that sweet S&M. I suspect if you measured the two they'd be real close in every way. The "real" Case seahorse whittler seems to have a more slender and serpentine frame than the stouter Queen/CC/S&M version, stance of the Wharnie blade when opened is also significantly different, different secondary blade profiles, etc. I grabbed a similar photo of one of my own Cases and eyeballed them bolster-to-bolster so you can see the differences.
whittlers.jpg
I don't have any of those sweet Queens or a GEC whittler (yet) to do a size comparison, sadly. The Case is a hair over 4" closed.
29903837665_a373308ecc_o.jpg
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I picked up this bone handled whittler over the weekend. It is marked A. W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. It has the usual whittler layout with the 3 blades and tapered back, but this one has a double sided file in place of one of the smaller pen blades. Also stamped on the back of the blades is a large X with the letters X over L N over T stamped within the large X. Anyone familiar with what this means?
Dale covered the origin and meaning of the mark. I just want to use this opportunity to show off my Wadsworth XLNT Barlow. :lol:
xlntbarlow.jpg
Jacknifeben wrote:Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Jacknifeben wrote:Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Jacknifeben wrote:How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
My friend, you come up with some ridiculous knives. I am in awe. ::tu:: ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

When you have been collecting knives as long as me I had some advantages. There not as many old knives out there any more.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
doglegg wrote:Just for comparison sake, GEC 57, Case 6355 and Schatt and Morgen 43 1/2. The 57 is the smallest and the 431/2 slightly the largest. The Case is the smoothest. All 3 great knives.DSCN4072.JPGDSCN4073.JPG
Three incredible whittlers, doglegg! ::tu:: Just for pedantry's sake, and to help in identifying the knives, by those photos I'm about 85% sure that the 6355 is actually a Case Classics whittler built by Queen on the same frame as that sweet S&M. I suspect if you measured the two they'd be real close in every way. The "real" Case seahorse whittler seems to have a more slender and serpentine frame than the stouter Queen/CC/S&M version, stance of the Wharnie blade when opened is also significantly different, different secondary blade profiles, etc. I grabbed a similar photo of one of my own Cases and eyeballed them bolster-to-bolster so you can see the differences.

whittlers.jpg
I don't have any of those sweet Queens or a GEC whittler (yet) to do a size comparison, sadly. The Case is a hair over 4" closed.

29903837665_a373308ecc_o.jpg
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I picked up this bone handled whittler over the weekend. It is marked A. W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. It has the usual whittler layout with the 3 blades and tapered back, but this one has a double sided file in place of one of the smaller pen blades. Also stamped on the back of the blades is a large X with the letters X over L N over T stamped within the large X. Anyone familiar with what this means?
Dale covered the origin and meaning of the mark. I just want to use this opportunity to show off my Wadsworth XLNT Barlow. :lol:

xlntbarlow.jpg
Jacknifeben wrote:Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Jacknifeben wrote:Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Jacknifeben wrote:How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
My friend, you come up with some ridiculous knives. I am in awe. ::tu:: ::tu::
It is a Case Classic, Tony. Indeed upon closer inspection you are right on the S&M and the Case Classic. and the Seahorse is a more delicate knife. Thanks. ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I found these two whittlers at a flea market down in Iowa over the weekend. Neither of them are pristine, but usable.

Miller Brothers 3 3/4" with tapered back, and either rosewood or ebony screw retained handles.
IMG_2341.JPG
Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett -OVB, 3 5/16" whittler, tapered back, with MOP handles. Has a couple of handle chips missing, but still a usable little knife. One of the small blades has a double sided file instead of the usual pen blade. There is a little bit of the OVB blade etch remaining on the master blade. Not real choice, but I couldn't pass on it for $5.
IMG_2342.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice OC, along with the knives from the other post. ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I don't know what to make of this whittler. There is no tang stamp on the two larger blades, only on the awl blade is there a stamp, "Paxton & Gallagher Omaha", but I am not sure if that blade belongs to this knife. I bought this at a flea market over the weekend and am wondering if the awl blade has replaced a broken blade. It is a sleeveboard whittler, bone handled, nickle silver bolster with steel pins, brass liners, 3 5/8" overall closed length. The usual whittler pattern is followed, the two smaller blades each have their own springs, with the main blade using both of the springs. The awl has a matchstrike pull. There is no tapered center divider. I am questioning if it is original with the blades the way they are now ?
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”