The whittler page

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Jacknifeben

Re: The whittler page

Post by Jacknifeben »

Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Attachments
938B6407-3D61-4E83-9A2A-59E7221A4F00.jpeg
910720D3-C481-4DAE-8307-0CB787317904.jpeg
15CCDA0E-A7B3-4262-8620-E8399813E7FC.jpeg
924BD7CD-E4E3-44F2-BF93-34F419B99D0E.jpeg
60885485-E8F5-43A7-B5F9-C7A8CB81FC04.jpeg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Attachments
B9C8F28A-A109-4514-9F22-AB122A15F3E8.jpeg
449330B9-88C8-48D2-A7F4-D8B84267CC72.jpeg
0B4229EA-D719-403C-A011-69C36BE84F92.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Fabulous Ben, great vintage stuff.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
Attachments
CB4FB6EF-81EB-4919-9EDE-32E4E06C71A0.jpeg
1144332E-4859-4945-8A13-34092A75FF2E.jpeg
AA699FE5-EA34-4383-882A-EDFA9517CF4F.jpeg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

doglegg wrote:Just for comparison sake, GEC 57, Case 6355 and Schatt and Morgen 43 1/2. The 57 is the smallest and the 431/2 slightly the largest. The Case is the smoothest. All 3 great knives.DSCN4072.JPGDSCN4073.JPG
Three incredible whittlers, doglegg! ::tu:: Just for pedantry's sake, and to help in identifying the knives, by those photos I'm about 85% sure that the 6355 is actually a Case Classics whittler built by Queen on the same frame as that sweet S&M. I suspect if you measured the two they'd be real close in every way. The "real" Case seahorse whittler seems to have a more slender and serpentine frame than the stouter Queen/CC/S&M version, stance of the Wharnie blade when opened is also significantly different, different secondary blade profiles, etc. I grabbed a similar photo of one of my own Cases and eyeballed them bolster-to-bolster so you can see the differences.
whittlers.jpg
I don't have any of those sweet Queens or a GEC whittler (yet) to do a size comparison, sadly. The Case is a hair over 4" closed.
29903837665_a373308ecc_o.jpg
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I picked up this bone handled whittler over the weekend. It is marked A. W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. It has the usual whittler layout with the 3 blades and tapered back, but this one has a double sided file in place of one of the smaller pen blades. Also stamped on the back of the blades is a large X with the letters X over L N over T stamped within the large X. Anyone familiar with what this means?
Dale covered the origin and meaning of the mark. I just want to use this opportunity to show off my Wadsworth XLNT Barlow. :lol:
xlntbarlow.jpg
Jacknifeben wrote:Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Jacknifeben wrote:Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Jacknifeben wrote:How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
My friend, you come up with some ridiculous knives. I am in awe. ::tu:: ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

When you have been collecting knives as long as me I had some advantages. There not as many old knives out there any more.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
doglegg wrote:Just for comparison sake, GEC 57, Case 6355 and Schatt and Morgen 43 1/2. The 57 is the smallest and the 431/2 slightly the largest. The Case is the smoothest. All 3 great knives.DSCN4072.JPGDSCN4073.JPG
Three incredible whittlers, doglegg! ::tu:: Just for pedantry's sake, and to help in identifying the knives, by those photos I'm about 85% sure that the 6355 is actually a Case Classics whittler built by Queen on the same frame as that sweet S&M. I suspect if you measured the two they'd be real close in every way. The "real" Case seahorse whittler seems to have a more slender and serpentine frame than the stouter Queen/CC/S&M version, stance of the Wharnie blade when opened is also significantly different, different secondary blade profiles, etc. I grabbed a similar photo of one of my own Cases and eyeballed them bolster-to-bolster so you can see the differences.

whittlers.jpg
I don't have any of those sweet Queens or a GEC whittler (yet) to do a size comparison, sadly. The Case is a hair over 4" closed.

29903837665_a373308ecc_o.jpg
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I picked up this bone handled whittler over the weekend. It is marked A. W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. It has the usual whittler layout with the 3 blades and tapered back, but this one has a double sided file in place of one of the smaller pen blades. Also stamped on the back of the blades is a large X with the letters X over L N over T stamped within the large X. Anyone familiar with what this means?
Dale covered the origin and meaning of the mark. I just want to use this opportunity to show off my Wadsworth XLNT Barlow. :lol:

xlntbarlow.jpg
Jacknifeben wrote:Very old Lockback , Stag, whittler He is in the history book.
Jacknifeben wrote:Another unusual WHITTLER with a punch blade, slanted and pinched bolsters, three back springs, and etched.
Jacknifeben wrote:How about a 32734 gunstock WHITTLER with a spey blade stamped FOR CUTTING FLESH ONLY?
My friend, you come up with some ridiculous knives. I am in awe. ::tu:: ::tu::
It is a Case Classic, Tony. Indeed upon closer inspection you are right on the S&M and the Case Classic. and the Seahorse is a more delicate knife. Thanks. ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I found these two whittlers at a flea market down in Iowa over the weekend. Neither of them are pristine, but usable.

Miller Brothers 3 3/4" with tapered back, and either rosewood or ebony screw retained handles.
IMG_2341.JPG
Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett -OVB, 3 5/16" whittler, tapered back, with MOP handles. Has a couple of handle chips missing, but still a usable little knife. One of the small blades has a double sided file instead of the usual pen blade. There is a little bit of the OVB blade etch remaining on the master blade. Not real choice, but I couldn't pass on it for $5.
IMG_2342.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice OC, along with the knives from the other post. ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I don't know what to make of this whittler. There is no tang stamp on the two larger blades, only on the awl blade is there a stamp, "Paxton & Gallagher Omaha", but I am not sure if that blade belongs to this knife. I bought this at a flea market over the weekend and am wondering if the awl blade has replaced a broken blade. It is a sleeveboard whittler, bone handled, nickle silver bolster with steel pins, brass liners, 3 5/8" overall closed length. The usual whittler pattern is followed, the two smaller blades each have their own springs, with the main blade using both of the springs. The awl has a matchstrike pull. There is no tapered center divider. I am questioning if it is original with the blades the way they are now ?
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

All of us NFL fans are familiar with the phrase "Upon further review". I am using that phrase here after spending some time looking at the inside with a good light and a loupe, and have come to the conclusion that the Paxton & Gallagher whittler that I pictured above is original. It has an offset bend in the awl that pairs with a spacer at the rear, and the spacer between the two smaller blades is also accounted for. I had thought that because the original steel pins were protruding slightly that it may have been apart. But I think the knife had gotten loose and someone hammered on the steel pins without a slacker in an attempt to tighten it up. The double spring pressure on the master blade sure makes it hard to open, but it is still kind of a neat old knife.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Definitely a rarity, I have never even encountered that stamp/maker and I certainly have never seen an old whittler with a punch on it before.

I guess that's another interpretation of a "carpenter's whittler" if you want to put a name on it., :lol:
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I really like the looks of that sleeveboard whittler OC. Love the jigging pattern, bone color and shield shape.... classic styling.
Greg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this whittler today at a local pawn shop for a few bucks. It is an American Shear & Knife Co. 4 1/4" tapered back. Unfortunately it has a lot of pitting on the blades and one of the pen blades is tipped, but it snaps like a bear trap on all three blades, handles are good ebony, and the shield is really nice. The blades are full, so I will sharpen it up and carry it. Goins says American Shear & Knife was from 1851-1911.
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I picked up this whittler today at a local pawn shop for a few bucks. It is an American Shear & Knife Co. 4 1/4" tapered back. Unfortunately it has a lot of pitting on the blades and one of the pen blades is tipped, but it snaps like a bear trap on all three blades, handles are good ebony, and the shield is really nice. The blades are full, so I will sharpen it up and carry it. Goins says American Shear & Knife was from 1851-1911.
That is a very nice old knife! I would call that pitting a very minor issue. Grind the tipped blade into a coping blade and it will be better than new.
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, I like the looks of that old knife even with its scars. ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

I believe there is a thread for this manufacturer and that one I expect would be most welcome OC.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

wlf wrote:I believe there is a thread for this manufacturer and that one I expect would be most welcome OC.
Thanks, I will post it there too.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Yeller Case
Attachments
WP_20190116_066.jpg
WP_20190116_073.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Iman, you have a keeper there. Great scales and classic design. ::tu::
Case XX 6383

Post by Case XX 6383 »

3 ten dots and a USA
Attachments
20190113_152924.jpg
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I've always preferred the beefier sheepsfoot blade of a stockman than the coping blade of a whittler in a medium frame knife, but have managed to keep a couple really exceptional ones ... a 6380 and a 6347 Select. THe tapered backspring and resulting thin feel of whittlers is a big advantage for me ...
IMG_8013.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

I'm really enjoying the whittlers ya'll are posting.
S&M halfwhittlera.jpg
S&M halfwhittlerb.jpg
geocash
Case XX 6383

Post by Case XX 6383 »

83s
Attachments
20190119_164945.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is the most slender Whittler i have, a 3 1/4" silver Mappin & Webb Trustworthy from early 1900's. Mappin & Webb was in the same league as Jos. Rodgers during the Sheffield era. The Hallmarks show: sterling silver, from Sheffield in 1909. V. neat knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5978.JPG
IMGP5979.JPG
IMGP5976.JPG
IMGP5977.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”