info on this Utica

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
petesknives

info on this Utica

Post by petesknives »

Another one of Petesknifes. What would you call this handle material?
The bail is stamped Sterling. The other blades, one is a nail file the other a bottle opener. And the corkscrew of course! Main blade is stamped UTICA with Cutlery Co underneath. Knife is in super nice shape. Any ideas
on vintage and value. The brass liners have like filework or something, fancy though. Also should I post this on Knife Q&A instead of this forum?
Thanx All Ken
Attachments
utica pocket pard 2.jpg
utica pocket pard 2.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
utica pocket pard.jpg
utica pocket pard.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Pocket Pard was a trademark for a special line of knives made by Utica Cutlery - my guess would be 1920's era but could have been anytime between WWI and WWII. I would call that handle "marbled celluloid".

That is only the second one of them that I have seen....they are rare but I have no idea on value....most likely $125 to $150. You could try posting in the Bernard Levine forum at Bladeforums. He may know the exact dates although he won't give his value opinion.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

In addition to knifeaholic's help, if what you are describing about the liners looks like the picture below, that is known as milled liners...just a nice decorative touch. If not, how about a picture?

Bill
Attachments
STA-SHARP Milled liner.jpg
STA-SHARP Milled liner.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

pocket pard

Post by Mossdancer »

Hello;
Its interesting the way UTICA is in a semi circle. If you cock the blade at 315 degrees is there anything inside the circle. I dont have but a couple and the Trademark is layed out straight as below on the featherweight.
W.B.
Attachments
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0001.JPG (27.81 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: pocket pard

Post by knifeaholic »

Mossdancer wrote:Hello;
Its interesting the way UTICA is in a semi circle. If you cock the blade at 315 degrees is there anything inside the circle. I dont have but a couple and the Trademark is layed out straight as below on the featherweight.
W.B.
The arched or semi-circle stamp is the older Utica tang stamping...circa 1910 era to maybe 1930 or mid 30's.
petesknives

Post by petesknives »

No Moss nothing inside the circle, and yes milled liners. Thanx you guys are great.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Pocket Pards Utica Knife

Post by galvanic1882 »

The Pocket Pard knives made by Utica Cutlery were produced to match the Parker Duofold pens in the 1920's. They were a high end knife at that time because of the gold fittings. The bolsters, shield and bails were all a form of gold electroplating. Not sure of the process of how the gold was put on or part of the making of the fittings. I have had about 4 of these but only have 2 left in my collection with there original boxes. I have a copy of an old Utica Cutlery catalog that explains more on these knives. I have included pics of the knives.
Attachments
pocketpards.jpg
pocketpards.jpg (124.53 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

NICE!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Utica Cutlery

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks for the thumbs up. I have attached pics of more Utica's that I own which are from the factory collection. Hope you like them

Mike
Attachments
utica's5.jpg
utica's5.jpg (111 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
utica's4.jpg
utica's4.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
petesknives

Pocket Pards

Post by petesknives »

::tu:: ::tu:: Super nice. thanks for sharing! Ken
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

I read that the " pocket pard" trademark began in 1929. The handles are of Dupont Pyralin, in jade green it appears. It also says that the bolsters, shield and shackle were 14k gold filled. I really like old knives that still bear a factory blade etch. That is one more nice knife.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Utica Pocket Pards

Post by galvanic1882 »

You are right about the Pocket Pards, How about these Electric Cutlery NJ knives??? The bottom one is an old Friedmann & Lauterjung. Ilove the old etched ones also.

Mike
Attachments
electric1.jpg
electric1.jpg (112.74 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Outstanding knives thanks for sharing :) ::tu::

Mike,

If you ever get an itch to get rid of the 3 bladed Friedmann & Lauterjung please let me know, I would be most interested... :D $$
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Utica Pocket Pard

Post by galvanic1882 »

There is a list of guys that want this one. It's one of my favorites. Got from a seller on ebay about 7 years ago.

What are some of the brands you collect?

Mike
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

I'm crushed :cry: that I'm standing in line for your Friedmann & Lauterjung but it would be a line worth waiting in, I would hang on to that one.

I just recently narrowed my view on collecting down to two catagories, my fun :D collection which is any 3 or 5 bladed trapper, jack, barlow type knife I can get my hands on. And here recently I am starting to collect Schatt & Morgan knives. I have collected a nice assortment of Robeson new & old but will probably sell those off to feed my S&M collection.

Here is a quick shot of some of my 3 & 5 blade collection, I will not bore the other members by opening them up again making them look at them one more time :P the picture does not do any justice to what is being shown but it gives an idea. There are Case trappers, copperheads, scouts, German Eye, Henckels, Bulldogs, Kutmaster, Marbles, Weidmannsheil and Fox & Hound mixed in that tray...

Sunburst
Attachments
3 & 5 blade collection.JPG
3 & 5 blade collection.JPG (203.99 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
petesknives

3 and 5 blades

Post by petesknives »

Super nice Sunburst!! :mrgreen: ::tu:: Ken

Return to “General Knife Discussion”