Need Info on Russell Barlow

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Need Info on Russell Barlow

Post by stagman »

Hey everyone, I have had this stag Russell Granddaddy barlow for about 15 years. Now I know the Russell Harrington Cut. Co. has had the rights to the old Russell Co since 1933. This knife is oviously way newer than that. Any one know or saw one of these before ??? Have any idea who made it ??? Its stamped Russell with the trade marks, see pics. Its a monster knife at 5" closed and weighs 6.5 oz. Compare that weight to a Case 1976 5165 stag bi-centennial folding hunter at 5 oz and you get a idea what a heavy knife this is. I have enlosed 2 pics and any info you all could send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!
Attachments
DCP_0002.JPG
DCP_0002.JPG (159.74 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
DCP_0005.JPG
DCP_0005.JPG (17.42 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Russell Harrington issued sets of two stag handled single blade barlows, one standard and one daddy barlow. They wer made on contract by Colonial Knife Company and each set of two came in a hardshell box.

Yours is one of the daddy barlows. I have no idea how many sets were produced. IIRC they were made in about 1998 but I am not sure. It was more recently than 15 years ago though. If you contact Russell Harrington here in MA (Southbridge MA) they might be able to fill in the details.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

1998 is the correct year for the Colonial made Russell reproductions, as knifeholic surmised. The arrow has three feathers on the authorized reproductions. There are German made versions (Boker??) everywhere...but the arrow has more feathers on those, so they are pretty easy to spot.
I believe Schrade also made some authorized reproductions for Russell in 1974, but I don't seem to be able to find anything on size(s) or handle materials. Maybe someone else will turn up some information about that run.
Here is "little brother" from the Colonial run, this one belongs to a fellow forumite now...

Bill
Attachments
Russell Barlow by Colonial.jpg
Russell Barlow by Colonial.jpg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Well guys, after reading your posts this morning I dug out my old note book on knives I had bought years ago and had this wrote in it: Bought may, 1999, paid 35 bucks, seller says made before 1990. Sure appreciate the correct info on it because I had no idea whatsoever who made it or when. Just another reason to thank Bryan for creating this great site. Thanks again !!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Lobo;

Schrade made the 1974 version - it was a 2-blade standard size barlow, clip and pen blades, serial numbered. They made a lot of them but I forget the number. But it was just this one style.

Be aware too that in the 70's a lot of unauthorized Russell Barlows with bone handles were imported from Germany.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Thanks for filling that in knifeaholic... ::tu::

I did find out the the number was 12,000 in the run by Schrade. I'm making a note of the 2 blade style since my memory sucks... :roll: :mrgreen: ...and I'd probably have to ask you again in 6 months...sheesh.

Thanks again.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

Hey Bill,

That's a nice picture of my knife. Mind if I steal it? :mrgreen:

Jim
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Be my guest, Jim. :mrgreen:
I've kept it in my insurance file, because I have another one in a display of stag handled folders, and I'm too lazy to shoot another picture. :oops:

bill
yerout

Post by yerout »

This is the Schrade Model Bill and others wrote about the first 2,000 of these came in a wooden box with a sliding top with the same etching as the blade also it was in a felt pouch which also has the etch embossed in it

Roger
Attachments
P2190736.JPG
P2190736.JPG (79.85 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hi Roger!

That's a nice knife. Is that a smooth bone, or what?
Thanks for showing us one of them. ::tu::

Bill

Return to “General Knife Discussion”