who let the dogs out!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

who let the dogs out!

Post by jonet143 »

this is my only bulldog. it is a 1993 3 7/8" small congress II third generation. etched bd 1 of 12. no other etch. beautiful green bone with a bar shield. carbon steel.

any other barkers out there?

johnnie
Attachments
1993 double dog
1993 double dog
bulldog.JPG (150.22 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

It is engraved BD 1 OF 12 becuase there is no Frosted Blade etch. So, only 12 knives were made in this configuration. You have a very fine and RARE Bulldog Brand Knife. Here is a sister knife in Stag that is also engraved with BD 1 OF 12. This is 1 of 12 because it has Surgical Instrument Steel with an etch. Only 12 were made with this configuration. You may be able to see the Surgical Inst. on the small coping blade on the right side. Surgical Instrument Steel is what Bulldog called stainless steel starting in 1993, the beginning of the Third Generation. Just a note: the First Generation only had the Cowboy's Pet series using stainless steel and thats what they called it then. Quite often you run into sellers on eBay selling knives marked Surgical Inst. as First Generation. NO WAY! Due to lack of information these knives are quite often just sold as First Generation. :D Anyway, I enjoyed seeing your Bulldog, you picked a good one to have! ::tu:: ::drool::
Attachments
3 78 Small Congress ~ Genuine Stag ~ 1 of 12.jpg
3 78 Small Congress ~ Genuine Stag ~ 1 of 12.jpg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

nice knife hukk! i think they had about 20 blade and handle configurations in this pattern, all bd 1 of 12 engraved. i don't have many knives that could be considered "rare".

maybe someone knows wether frank buster was still involved with the third generation? or was it j. parker only.

johnnie
johnnie f 1949

Hukk

Post by Hukk »

jonet143 wrote:nice knife hukk! i think they had about 20 blade and handle configurations in this pattern, all bd 1 of 12 engraved. i don't have many knives that could be considered "rare".

maybe someone knows wether frank buster was still involved with the third generation? or was it j. parker only.

johnnie
As far as I know, it was Jim Parker only. Frank Buster had the Fight'n Rooster knives made at the Friedrich Olbertz factory, same factory as Jim Parker's Bulldog Brand. 1993 marked the first year of ownership of the Bulldog trademark for Jim Parker who obtained the rights from Charlie Dorton. I do see a resemblance in a few Bulldog Brand patterns to those of the Fightn' Rooster. Guess that can be expected when knives are made in the same factory. I haven't seen anything in writing that indicates that Frank Buster was involved with Bulldog.
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

cool, i knew charlie dorton was involved but i was'nt sure if anybody else was. being from the same factory kinda makes them all related. i'm looking for a fightin' rooster congress but i don't know what i'll be able to afford.
thanks for the info.

johnnie
johnnie f 1949

steve

Post by steve »

great looking knives. heres my lone bulldog barking from my collection. its a pearl handled canoe made between 1993-95.
Attachments
bulldog pearl canoe1.jpg
bulldog pearl canoe1.jpg (162.39 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Pearl with an acorn shield, they only made 36 in the third generation, I'm guessing you have a 3 1/2 inch canoe, if so it would be BKC 564, a real nice knife. I have a bunch of Bulldogs, but collect others also. I have a Bulldog Oystershell (imitation pearl) Canoe that I like from 2000, the start of the fifth generation. I like 2000 knives because it was a busy year for Bulldog. We had the end of the standing dog tang stamp, the start of the double dog head tang stamp and also the millenium knives. That year could end up as being highly collectable. Anyway here is an odd-ball 1 blade canoe, 1 of 7. I like it for the Bulldog Brand etch rather than the Pit-Bull Trademark etch. This is not Pearl, it is celluloid. It would be nice if it were pearl.
Attachments
Oystershell 1 Blade Canoe.jpg
Oystershell 1 Blade Canoe.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

Return to “General Knife Discussion”