Anyone interested in Browning knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Anyone interested in Browning knives

Post by PA Knives »

HI!

I picked up three Browning knives this past weekend. This isn't my thing so if someone is interested let me know and I will send photo's. First one is new stag handled doubled edge with blood groove. Near mint as it gets. Box papers and NICE, the others are tacticals and I don't know much about them. One is stamped 425 with wood hanldes the other is similar. I have the box and paper work atlthough niether is mint. Very good condition at best. I certainly would consider a trade for old PA knives too. Let me know if this is something you could use.
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

I got excited when I saw the title of your post -- I thought I'd found another Browning fan. I don't collect so much as accumulate knives, and notwithstanding the fact that Browning knives apparently are not all that collectable, I love them. Particularly the "Browning Sportsman" knives.

I would like to pose the question: Why are Browning knives not more collectable? I'm not really complaining, since I've been able to pick up several very cool ones for not much money. However, workmanship, materials, and particularly the appearance all seem very first rate to me. I even read in "The Standard Knife Collectors Guide, Fourth Edition" that their original folding hunter (which was designed by Gil Hibben incidentally) was copied by Case in designing the "Shark Tooth" line of folding hunters. The Cases of course are highly collectable. And you will never find me disparaging Case, but the fact is my browning folding hunters seem to be of superior construction to my Sharks Tooth knives, and I have several of both.

I'd like to hear what someone knowlegable has to say about this, since I certainly am not.

And to PA Knives, I'm not so much into tacticals or fixed blades, otherwise I'd explore your offer. However, I did recently pick up a Browning tactical -- a model 611 with ATS 34 half serrated tanto blade, titanium liners and carbon fiber handles, brand new for about $50. If a Benchmade has anything on this knife, I don't know what.

Sorry about the rant!

Jim
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hey folks,

My opinion is that the Brownings are not so desireable because they are just contract knives, made by various other companies. They seem to be pretty nice knives (Japanese made?) but not on the cutting edge of design, and currently not particularly in favor with most collectors.
Maybe things will change, but they are not on my personal list of must haves. Don't have a beef with them or anything, just trying to surmise why they don't seem to be particularly "Collectable."

Doesn't mean others won't like them, of course.

Bill

Edited for clarity of thinking.... :wink:
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

HI!

The fixed blade is particularly nice. It has a made in spain sticker on it so I assume that is correct. If I was into fixed blades at all I would consider it as it isn't your usual hunting knife, but a beautiful double edge with a blood groove almost the entire length of the blade. Heavy stag handle. The tacticals are OK, but I am not into those at all. Looks like ebay is going to see these. I will try to post a link to them once I get it listed. Probably not until next week. Browning has nice construction in my opinion but it just doens't have the reputation with the collectors like the big boys. ????? not sure why. Of course I am a purist and if it isn't bone and Old am not to interested. Thanks for asking
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

To respond to Bill, you are right that Brownings are contract knives, and always have been. Some are made in Japan, and I've also seen Germany and Italy, and you can tell by the tang stamp since it always indicates this. The ones that are stamped "Browning USA" are the only ones that are even semi-collectable. I'm not sure what the cutting edge of design is, but I do admire the styling of a lot of the Browning folding hunters. They also seem to put a lot of thought and effort into the styling and quality of their sheathes which I also appreciate. If I had a digital camera, I'd post some examples, but alas I'm stuck in the 20th Century and still use film.

I must have low tastes, since another one of my favorite makers is Moore Maker, and those are contract knives too. Conversely I have three Schatt and Morgan knives, and they just seem too pretty to use, and not so sturdily constructed. And, Ive said it before, there's something almost effeminate about them (Don't kill me Bill).

No accounting for tastes I guess. One maker I'd imagine we can both agree on is Case. If there could only be one maker in the world, I'd want it to be Case. I imagine you'd agree.

Regards,

Jim
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

longbeachbum,

Hey, my daughter lives in Long Beach..... :D 8)

OK, just to keep this interesting.....I don't think there is anything wrong, or low quality, about most contract knives. Especially not Browning or Mooremaker, who both seem to have high standards. You mentioned Case, did you know that Queen ( Schatt and Morgan, bone handled Mooremakers) has made knives for Case as well? Contacting is very common, so to clarify about the Brownings, let me pontificate... er... ah... add just a bit.

Browning made firearms for a long time. They never really MADE knives, always by contract. Winchester made firearms. They also made knives at one time. Currently there are Winchester knives, marketed by Bluegrass Cutlery ( made by QUEEN) that are quite nice. There are Winchester knives sold in WalMart and sporting goods stores, that are made in China (brought in to WalMart by Gerber, I believe, who is owned by Fiskars.....whew!).
The gist of that tidbit is that most collectors only seem to view the early Winchesters, made by Winchester, as true collectables. To me that means an older knife, in good condition, brings more $$ than a brand new one. Even though the newer knife may be of high quality (Mooremaker, Browning). It may mean something else to you, all well and good.
Some folks, like our own pa knives, are very focused in their collections. Others collect by brand, or pattern, or time period, or military knives, or.....well you get the picture.

Personally, I collect what strikes my fancy. I really like customs by not so well known makers. But I have lots of factory knives (even.....some made on contract... :oops: ). Many others would not deem my choices collectable.
WHO CARES!! Collect and use what YOU like, and then it's easy to smile when viewing or using your knives..... :wink:

So, I was in no way belittling your Brownings, or any other knife (except cheap knockoffs) that people might choose to use or collect. I was just trying to figure out a "WHY" answer. The "Cutting Edge" part was meant because I don't know if Browning actually designs the knives, or their contractors bring them prototypes. I don't see them collaborating with custom makers, as of yet, for designs. Nothing more was meant. Maybe a poor choice of words....or, maybe not.

No animals were harmed during this epic, and my fingers are quite tired now, so I'm turning control of this thread back to you folks.... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Regards,

Bill

Edited for clarity...I hope.
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Hi!

These are the items that I have on ebay related to Browning, except the last item which is GERBER sharpener. I don't know much about these as you all know I am a Old knife person. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

You were right, those are nice! The fixed blade in particular is a beauty.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”