Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Quick Steel »

Cody, I admire you for putting in the time and effort to bring those two warriors back to life.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:44 pm
And I still haven't gotten around to buying a Copperhead. Unlike last year's Pocket Hunter, it is a very practical knife for EDC. 3 3/4" closed is my target closed size.
There's certainly no lack of them on the Bay, both foreign and domestic. Nothin' to it but to do it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm Crosman Blades (Camillus) 910A Stockman. I like Stockmen that have a serrated blade on board, and locking blade ones are really uncommon. Beat up, so I don't mind carrying it at all. I bought this one mostly for work, hunting, camping, and fishing. This allows me to not have to carry a mid-sized locking one-hand opener AND a Stockman, since the locking blade is on board the Stockman. I carry a fixed blade for the heavier stuff. While well used, it has been taken care of. All the blades are sharp, as is the serrated blade.

Mini Tufflite. At 3" closed, it is quite small. But, functionally, it is quite large. Feels like a big knife in hand too. It is strong enough to do the big knife stuff. I had to do a lot of work. The edge on it was awful, and the very tip is still bent.
Nice finds Cody! Especially like the first & last knives in this group you picked up! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:42 pm
TPK wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 pm Today I finally recieved this Ochsenkopf axe head. ::tu:: Few more pictures in the appropriate thread for those interested in axes & stuff. ::tu:: Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake::
Nice! I have a Stihl version of that which is my go-to axe. The 600 gram head and the longer handle is much better than my other go-to, an Estwing.
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Picked up some stuff on my way home to pimp my axe! :lol: Handle, wedge, paint ect. ::tu::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm Crosman Blades (Camillus) 910A Stockman. I like Stockmen that have a serrated blade on board, and locking blade ones are really uncommon. Beat up, so I don't mind carrying it at all. I bought this one mostly for work, hunting, camping, and fishing. This allows me to not have to carry a mid-sized locking one-hand opener AND a Stockman, since the locking blade is on board the Stockman. I carry a fixed blade for the heavier stuff. While well used, it has been taken care of. All the blades are sharp, as is the serrated blade.

Mini Tufflite. At 3" closed, it is quite small. But, functionally, it is quite large. Feels like a big knife in hand too. It is strong enough to do the big knife stuff. I had to do a lot of work. The edge on it was awful, and the very tip is still bent.
Nice finds Cody! Especially like the first & last knives in this group you picked up! ::tu:: :D
The Camillus is a really good setup. But, since the Delrin handles are cracked, I've been thinking about replacing the spey blade with a punch to make it my perfect work knife if I do decide it needs work. But, it's fine as is. The Imperial Ireland Apex knives has a Stockman with a similar blade layout as I want (Turkish clip, serrated coping, punch) as well as a 34OT-size knife Schrade made for Purina. But, both are kinda uncommon. I can get the Irish Imperial for under $20 easily, but the Schrade Purina knives weren't made in high numbers.

I put the Mini Tufflite to work today doing some weed eating. Pretty darn strong little knife, that unlike other 3" closed knives, fits my hand as good as a 4" knife. And really lightweight. I'm picking up another pretty soon in either blue or red.

The Voyager is too aggressive (and big) for my tastes. I own some pretty aggressive-looking one-hand openers, but this one is kinda scary, even to me. That's the one problem I do have with tantos--they produce a far more aggressive-looking blade than any other pattern. It is only for jobs where I really need a fixed blade, but can't really carry one on my belt due to being around brush or equipment.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The mail was late getting to my house today, but this arrived!
20210409_183013.jpg
20210409_183049.jpg
It's a Case Copperhead, pattern 6249W, with Caribbean Blue sawcut jig bone covers. I also ordered a few extras along with it.
20210409_183213.jpg
Edit: forgot to add the unboxing video!

https://youtu.be/1gjHs9AWUNI
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

What can I say? I’m a sucker for Solingen’s :lol:
These arrived yesterday. A Explorer button lock and a Weidmannsheil Lockback.
First one of these Explorer button locks I’ve ever had. Pretty neat. The button locks it closed, half stop and open.
Attachments
30B5BB3D-33CF-4E87-A507-929E1D09FA84.jpeg
74B90932-D74B-43E9-8035-8F0A72DD12DE.jpeg
5C587C64-32EC-47DC-AE89-059AB6826C2E.jpeg
Eye Brand Collector
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 am The mail was late getting to my house today, but this arrived!

20210409_183013.jpg

20210409_183049.jpg

It's a Case Copperhead, pattern 6249W, with Caribbean Blue sawcut jig bone covers. I also ordered a few extras along with it.

20210409_183213.jpg

That's a good one, Dan! Very nice! ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 am That's a good one, Dan! Very nice!
Thanks! I must admit the camera doesn't capture it well, so it looks much better in the hand.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 pm

The Camillus is a really good setup. But, since the Delrin handles are cracked, I've been thinking about replacing the spey blade with a punch to make it my perfect work knife if I do decide it needs work. But, it's fine as is. The Imperial Ireland Apex knives has a Stockman with a similar blade layout as I want (Turkish clip, serrated coping, punch) as well as a 34OT-size knife Schrade made for Purina. But, both are kinda uncommon. I can get the Irish Imperial for under $20 easily, but the Schrade Purina knives weren't made in high numbers.

I put the Mini Tufflite to work today doing some weed eating. Pretty darn strong little knife, that unlike other 3" closed knives, fits my hand as good as a 4" knife. And really lightweight. I'm picking up another pretty soon in either blue or red.

The Voyager is too aggressive (and big) for my tastes. I own some pretty aggressive-looking one-hand openers, but this one is kinda scary, even to me. That's the one problem I do have with tantos--they produce a far more aggressive-looking blade than any other pattern. It is only for jobs where I really need a fixed blade, but can't really carry one on my belt due to being around brush or equipment.
:shock: Schrade made Purina knives? I didn't know that. ::hmm:: Wish I had one of them! ::nod::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 am The mail was late getting to my house today, but this arrived!

Great looking knife Dan! ::tu:: ::nod::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 am What can I say? I’m a sucker for Solingen’s :lol:
First one of these Explorer button locks I’ve ever had. Pretty neat. The button locks it closed, half stop and open.
Two more beautiful knives! Congrats! ::handshake:: :D

Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 am What can I say? I’m a sucker for Solingen’s :lol:
You aren't the only one that has a soft spot for Solingin made knives. Great score! :D
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:44 am

:shock: Schrade made Purina knives? I didn't know that. ::hmm:: Wish I had one of them! ::nod::
They made several! I did some searching, and was surprised at how many I hadn't seen before. Apparently, in the '90s Schrade and Purina had quite the partnership. But, they must not have been made in high numbers, as I only occasionally see them, as opposed to quite a few Kutmasters. Back in the '30s, they also made a pull-ball automatic with a Purina logo.

Irish Imperials were Schrades budget brand. I've been buying quite a few. They're decent knives for not much money.

Hoofpick knife with "Schrimshaw" of a Western scene. I think this is among the better-looking hoof pick knives Schrade made. Most had a Farnam ad. It's just the seller wants a stupid price. They're worth about $20 or less regardless of the logo, but the seller wants $40 and they seem to think it's much older than it really is. That's why I think they've been trying to sell it for more than two years.
s-l1600IIPN.jpg
SC505 "Purina Chow 100th"
il_fullxfull.1013330754_pcm0.jpg
il_794xN.1059635639_7qgt.jpg
All these photos come from here.

5OT with Purina shield, Purina embossed on sheath

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53989&p=597709&hili ... na#p597709

I think I mentioned this one before, as this is my dream Stockman pattern. But, I mistakenly said it was on the 34OT frame. It's on the larger 885UH frame. It has a serrated coping blade, punch in place of spey. I have seen two for sale, but they both went past my bids. This one has had the shield flipped over, but is the same knife. Should say Purina on it. Muskrat Man here has the punch for this pattern for like $2, but I don't know if it will fit the the Crosman even though both the Schrade and the Camillus/Crosman are 4" Stockmans.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9561&p=78820&hilit= ... ina#p78820
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

20210409_183013.jpg

20210409_183049.jpg

20210409_183213.jpg

Here's a tweaked shot of it. It's a looker for sure!
20210409_183013.jpg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

20210409_183013.jpg

20210409_183049.jpg

20210409_183213.jpg

Nice one Dan! Great color. :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Picked up this peasant knife from out own AAPK store owned by scagel. Very modestly priced but a very functional knife. Doubt I will carry it but wanted an example of one. Thanks for looking.
DSCN6941.JPG
DSCN6942.JPG
DSCN6943.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

doglegg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:39 pm Picked up this peasant knife from out own AAPK store owned by scagel. Very modestly priced but a very functional knife. Doubt I will carry it but wanted an example of one. Thanks for looking.DSCN6941.JPGDSCN6942.JPGDSCN6943.JPG
Nice! I picked up the larger version at my local knife store a couple of years ago, also mostly because it was cheap.

I like mine as it has plastic handles (I don't really like Opinels because you can only get carbon steel with the wood handle, which swells up in humid weather), but a carbon steel blade. I can fully strip it for cleaning, and only need to tighten two screws which are large slotted screws. Plenty tough as well with great carbon steel. Mine is a work knife. There's no backspring or blade lock, but if one tightens down the screws enough, it won't close.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the input Cody. ::handshake::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very unique knife Floyd and from New Zealand to boot. ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

doglegg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:39 pm Picked up this peasant knife from out own AAPK store owned by scagel. Very modestly priced but a very functional knife. Doubt I will carry it but wanted an example of one. Thanks for looking.DSCN6941.JPGDSCN6942.JPGDSCN6943.JPG
Cool looking piece, never heard of the brand and never seen a New Zealand tang stamp. Congrats, rare bird to me anyway. Thanks for showing.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

doglegg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:39 pm Picked up this peasant knife from out own AAPK store owned by scagel.
That's a nice pick-up. Looks like it would be a good carrier if you decide to do so.

Thanks to all for the kind words, and toomanyknives for the edit of my photo. I'll try taking a photo of the Copperhead with benefit of sunlight and/or the flash and see if its greenish tint shows more prominently.
USN 2000-2006
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:44 am

They made several! I did some searching, and was surprised at how many I hadn't seen before. Apparently, in the '90s Schrade and Purina had quite the partnership. But, they must not have been made in high numbers, as I only occasionally see them, as opposed to quite a few Kutmasters. Back in the '30s, they also made a pull-ball automatic with a Purina logo.

Irish Imperials were Schrades budget brand. I've been buying quite a few. They're decent knives for not much money.

Hoofpick knife with "Schrimshaw" of a Western scene. I think this is among the better-looking hoof pick knives Schrade made. Most had a Farnam ad. It's just the seller wants a stupid price. They're worth about $20 or less regardless of the logo, but the seller wants $40 and they seem to think it's much older than it really is. That's why I think they've been trying to sell it for more than two years.

All these photos come from here.

5OT with Purina shield, Purina embossed on sheath

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53989&p=597709&hili ... na#p597709

I think I mentioned this one before, as this is my dream Stockman pattern. But, I mistakenly said it was on the 34OT frame. It's on the larger 885UH frame. It has a serrated coping blade, punch in place of spey. I have seen two for sale, but they both went past my bids. This one has had the shield flipped over, but is the same knife. Should say Purina on it. Muskrat Man here has the punch for this pattern for like $2, but I don't know if it will fit the the Crosman even though both the Schrade and the Camillus/Crosman are 4" Stockmans.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9561&p=78820&hilit= ... ina#p78820
Well thanks for the Info & pictures Cody! ::handshake::
I appreciate the time & effort you put into so many of your posts! ::nod::
For your young age, you sure know a great deal about knives. Much more than I know. That's for sure! If you continue collecting throughout your lifetime it will be amazing how much knife wisdom you will have when you are 50 or 60 years old. ::nod:: ::tu:: You could even write a knifer book somewhere along the way. ::nod::
::hmm:: Of course, I recieve a free signed copy (If I'm still around.) since I planted the seed. ::nod:: ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool find Floyd! 8) Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks David, Iman, Dan and Tom . ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”