Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Dan In MI

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Dan In MI »

Congratulations on a great find, Rick!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:42 pm Been looking for a Camillus 715 Yello-Jaket for about 6 months. Had one on my Ebay Saved Searches all this time and ended up finding one right here on AAPK thanks to the streaming banner at the top of the page.
I like that one & I love the size of it! Nice acquisition Rick! ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:05 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:04 pm This Kissing Crane with horn showed up this week. Looks like it might be NOS.
NOS or not, it's a beauty and a keeper!

Here is my delivery for today, another Camillus 27. This one has a very prominent Channellock etch. It isn't perfect (ding on the front cover, up near the top of the bolster, and the bail seems to have a slight tweak). But it's presentable, and if I find a nicer one, it'll get carried!
Thanks Dan! I figured out that it is NOS because the seller has 7 more of them. :mrgreen:

Nice Score on the Camillus! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:03 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:50 pm
doglegg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 pm My son sent me this one from My Historical Knives here on AAPK. I had been watching it for some time and so he pulled the trigger for me. Bone handle but no tang stamp. Very old. Thanks Lee. Thanks for looking. ::handshake::
That's Super Cool Floyd! ::super_happy:: Can you tell us/me anything about it's blades. ::shrug:: ::super_happy::
Knice handles on those Tom. ::nod::
The blades on my knife are for bleeding horses or other animals or people from back when that was accepted treatment.
::woot:: OK cool! Learned something new. Thanks! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good looking little knife Rick, congrats... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

TPK wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 pm
bighomer wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm The ole mailman was good to me today. Kinda feel like I stole this'un off the bay.
Nice find Joe! ::tu:: I have one that looks almost the same but it has a different # on it. 1967redrider gave me this one. It's the only Queen I have in my collection. ::nod:: :D
That's a fine looking knife friend Tom. ::tu:: ::ds::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:11 am Congratulations on a great find, Rick!
TPK wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:59 am I like that one & I love the size of it! Nice acquisition Rick! ::nod:: :D
dlr110 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:50 pm Good looking little knife Rick, congrats... ::tu::
Thanks guys!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TPK

Post by TPK »

bighomer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 pm
bighomer wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm The ole mailman was good to me today. Kinda feel like I stole this'un off the bay.
Nice find Joe! ::tu:: I have one that looks almost the same but it has a different # on it. 1967redrider gave me this one. It's the only Queen I have in my collection. ::nod:: :D
That's a fine looking knife friend Tom. ::tu:: ::ds::
::super_happy:: ::tu::

Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Showed up yesterday!! ::ds::

My first ever GEC. Having once worked in the Pennsylvania oil fields myself, and being a collector of antique engines and machinery, this knife called out to me. The scales made from reclaimed sucker rods is the icing on the cake. The fit and finish is far above and beyond that of any knife I have ever owned, including my best bucks and cases. Giving it some pocket time in the shop today, as my club prepares for an engine show next week. I told myself that I wouldn’t put a lot of miles on this one, but it’s going to be hard to resist the temptation to grab it every morning.
Attachments
351481DD-3F52-4D04-85A5-7F1085957BE3.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 am Showed up yesterday!! ::ds::

My first ever GEC. Having once worked in the Pennsylvania oil fields myself, and being a collector of antique engines and machinery, this knife called out to me. The scales made from reclaimed sucker rods is the icing on the cake. The fit and finish is far above and beyond that of any knife I have ever owned, including my best bucks and cases. Giving it some pocket time in the shop today, as my club prepares for an engine show next week. I told myself that I wouldn’t put a lot of miles on this one, but it’s going to be hard to resist the temptation to grab it every morning.
Congrats again and loved the review. Exact sentiment I have about being beyond my Bucks and Cases, and S&M and about every other brand I have except Moki. GEC made a convert our of me and I feel like you feel. Now I seek mostly GEC. Carry on and love it some. Not as much fun in the safe. 86s are out there, you can always get a back up if you really want/have to have one. Best carried, used, loved on, coon fingered, chicken eyed, appreciated, held, rubbed, played with and enjoyed I say. Congrats again and great to see your pics.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A Camillus short line 70 bone handle cattle knife recently made it's way to my house. Of course I invited it to stay. Bay fishing again.
DSCN6980.JPG
DSCN6982.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I like the patina on those blades, dog.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I guess this can go here. As I mentioned in the FCD thread, we were at the D. Cousin's Reunion in Evansville, IN this weekend. Met the significant other of my cousin's daughter for the first time and it turned out that he was in the Marine Corps so we did a bit of jaw-jackin'. I noticed a clip on his pants pocket that had to be on a knife so I asked to see it. Turned out to be a Gerber Flatiron. I coon fingered it & chicken eyed it & complimented him on it then mentioned that I had a thing for knives and let it go at that.

Yesterday morning at breakfast, he pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to me. I demurred but he insisted I take it. Well I couldn't insult the boy so in my pocket it went.
Gerber 4660519B Flatiron - Labeled.JPG
I just got back from the post office where I sent a recently acquired Buck 722 Spitfire still in the clam-pak for not much money. I'm guessing the Buck will be more handy to him than the Gerber Flatiron or at least much easier to open one handed. We shall see.
Buck 722 x2-crop.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 am Showed up yesterday!! ::ds::

That's a beauty!! ::tu:: ::tu::

doglegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 pm A Camillus short line 70 bone handle cattle knife recently made it's way to my house. Of course I invited it to stay. Bay fishing again.
Dang Floyd, Love the looks of that one. You done good. ::tu::

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:48 pm I guess this can go here. As I mentioned in the FCD thread, we were at the D. Cousin's Reunion in Evansville, IN this weekend. Met the significant other of my cousin's daughter for the first time and it turned out that he was in the Marine Corps so we did a bit of jaw-jackin'. I noticed a clip on his pants pocket that had to be on a knife so I asked to see it. Turned out to be a Gerber Flatiron. I coon fingered it & chicken eyed it & complimented him on it then mentioned that I had a thing for knives and let it go at that.

Yesterday morning at breakfast, he pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to me. I demurred but he insisted I take it. Well I couldn't insult the boy so in my pocket it went.

I just got back from the post office where I sent a recently acquired Buck 722 Spitfire still in the clam-pak for not much money. I'm guessing the Buck will be more handy to him than the Gerber Flatiron or at least much easier to open one handed. We shall see.
Very nice Jerry!! ::tu:: Good on you and him!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:48 pm ...a Gerber Flatiron. I coon fingered it & chicken eyed it & complimented him on it then mentioned that I had a thing for knives and let it go at that.

Yesterday morning at breakfast, he pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to me. I demurred but he insisted I take it.

I just got back from the post office where I sent a recently acquired Buck 722 Spitfire still in the clam-pak ...
Great story, jerryd...that's about the best way to swap knives...very natural, very "organic" win-win. Congratulations and good on you. :D
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Congrats one and ALL!!!👍🤩👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks QS, I like patina and bones. ::handshake::
Papa Bones, John, thanks. ::handshake::
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:48 pm I guess this can go here. As I mentioned in the FCD thread, we were at the D. Cousin's Reunion in Evansville, IN this weekend. Met the significant other of my cousin's daughter for the first time and it turned out that he was in the Marine Corps so we did a bit of jaw-jackin'. I noticed a clip on his pants pocket that had to be on a knife so I asked to see it. Turned out to be a Gerber Flatiron. I coon fingered it & chicken eyed it & complimented him on it then mentioned that I had a thing for knives and let it go at that.

Buck 722 x2-crop.jpg
Cool story! ::tu:: Good deal! ::tu:: ::nod::

TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 pm A Camillus short line 70 bone handle cattle knife recently made it's way to my house. Of course I invited it to stay. Bay fishing again.DSCN6980.JPGDSCN6982.JPG
Nice find Floyd! ::tu:: ::nod::

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Tom. ::handshake::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

doglegg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 pm A Camillus short line 70 bone handle cattle knife recently made it's way to my house. Of course I invited it to stay. Bay fishing again.DSCN6980.JPGDSCN6982.JPG

Very nice, I like that one. Beautiful bones and condition. Congrats on that score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Buck 722 x2-crop.jpg
Cool story! ::tu:: Good deal! ::tu:: ::nod::
Thanks Tom.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Willie, Floyd, and Jerry: great pick-ups, one and all!

I have added three more to what promises to become a fleet of electrician's knives. The first two are Camilli. One is another Xcelite with the late 1970s to 1980s tang stamp. The drywall adhesive has since been removed from the blade. The other is much older, likely WWII. It also has "U.S.N." stamped on!
Camillus Pair Closed.jpg
Camillus Pair Open.jpg
Two Camillus Tang Stamps.jpg
WWII Camillus Cover.jpg
The third is a Robseon. This is the oldest knife, maybe even the oldest object, I've ever owned. It was purchased from our very own TripleF. He also included an old sharpening stone as a bonus. Huge thanks for this beauty, Scott, and I'll be displaying the two alongside each other!
Robeson Closed.jpg
Robeson Open.jpg
Robeson Tang Stamp.jpg
Robeson And Bonus.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 am The third is a Robseon. This is the oldest knife, maybe even the oldest object, I've ever owned.
It’s fun holding history in your hand, isn’t it? :) so many people can’t understand that!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:17 am

Very nice, I like that one. Beautiful bones and condition. Congrats on that score.
I appreciate that I man. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

Dan you are getting quite a pile of those TL 29/ electrician knives. I have a couple and admire them for their bring it on build. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”