Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TPK

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by TPK »

Gone2Three wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:40 am Three more to add to my stash... and a couple of more on the way ::ds::
Nice finds! I like the small one in black! Congrats! Looks great! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks Garry and Tom. These are two nice additions to the collection. I agree with you Garry on this being one of their better endeavors. And that Damascus is what got me on this TV knife too.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thanks everyone for the likes on my new additions, boy... there sure are some really good looking knife's being put up here!
Congratulations y'all
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yes, the maverick pattern is some perty incredible cutlery, makes me almost wish I didn't trade off mine. And that TV is amazing! Kinda reminds me of something Bear or Case would do. Seeing as it's a Tuna, I bet it's a incredible piece of cutlery.
Good job Mark ::tu:: .
That's another really good looking wire jack there Skip, you shore have an eye for picking out the good ones ::tu:: .
Man Gone, your making me drool! Stop it, I don't need to see more gorgeous Queen :mrgreen: .
You done good son ::tu:: .
That is a winner of a pen knife there Biggy ::tu:: . The Germany printing looks a lot like the ones on my kissing cranes, good chance they were made by Robert Class back in the day ::hmm:: .
Good job folks ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Just in from Scott (Triple F). This one's going with me to work tomorrow. It sure came dressed up fancy in a IXL box. ___Dave
Attachments
DSC00922.JPG
DSC00923.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a serious looking knife. No doubt good for serious work.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 am Good old Queens! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Here's the other Queen Winterbottom I was wanting for. The scales seem slightly different on this vs. the last, also the tang stamp is sideways (as shown) with a small "Q" rather than the big "Q" stamp that is prominent on others.
Was there a possible change in the way they were made or is it just because the age of the knife?

Thanks for taking a look...

Last picture showing them side by side
Attachments
20200330_204014.jpg
20200330_203531.jpg
20200330_205543.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

djknife13 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 pm Just in from Scott (Triple F). This one's going with me to work tomorrow. It sure came dressed up fancy in a IXL box. ___Dave
Hmmm. There's a Kershaw Automatic I wasn't aware of. ::hmm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

djknife13 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 pm Just in from Scott (Triple F). This one's going with me to work tomorrow. It sure came dressed up fancy in a IXL box. ___Dave
Whats the connection between Kershaw, Schrade, IXI and Sheffield?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Gone2Three wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 am
Treefarmer
Here's the other Queen Winterbottom I was wanting for. The scales seem slightly different on this vs. the last. Was there a change in the way they were made or is it just because the age of the knife?

Gone2Three, this is just an observation, not an opinion from an expert: I can't see the tang stamp on the original knife but with the etch still in place, I would venture it is maybe a newer knife than the 2nd one you just posted. The tang on the last one is either from the 1952-'55 era or from the 1951-'54 era according to the 2 Queen tang stamp charts that are found here on the forum. This knife could possibly have real Winterbottom bone handles as the imitation Winterbottom handles didn't appear until closer to the 1960s or maybe in the 60s. Usually the difference can be felt but to be sure, careful inspection with magnification will reveal Haversian canals in the bone and the delrin will be free of these small veins.
The color of the two knives are slightly different but that can be expected as dyes from on year to the next might be slightly different as well as the type of work it was used in. The real Winterbottom bone handles will lose their darker highlight color with use and become a very mellow, yellow bone color. Look at my avatar, those two #49s were made in the 1958-60 era, one is well used the other almost mint condition. Go to the search line on the forum and punch in Haversian, there should be a better explanation. It may be that both knives a real Winterbottom bone.
This question is not restricted to Queen knives, lots of knives are thought to be bone and end up being delrin. In my opinion the delrin handled knives are less likely to break or crack compared to a bone handle. But real bone is just a lot more classy. Winterbottom bone real or imitation usually requires a second look to make sure. The red/brown jigged delrin used in the Case knives is very easy to spot, tough stuff but not attractive.
Along that line, there is a small crack in the handle of the knife in question on the pile side. That's not to say that derlin wont crack, it will
I traded for 2 #19 imitation Winterbottom Queen trappers with an AAPK member, the handles are almost identical in every respect, length of groove and design are the same, only where the handle joins the bolster are there differences and that is a result of them being hafted by hand.
Here is a picture of 3 #19 Queen Trappers, the two I mentioned and one with real Winterbottom bone handles that have some age on them, in fact about 60 years.
006.JPG
Queens are fascinating to me, not as popular as some other brands but they hold a special place in my memory. The old fellers, I'm talking about the one's that have gone to meet their just rewards, they either carried a Case, a Treebrand or a Queen back in the day. The Queens always stood out with the shiny blade when I was a kid. They caught my eye whether it was being used to skin a deer, clean a fish or cut a bull calf in the cow pen. Now I have a box full of 'em and almost too old to do much with the old Queens. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

ken98k wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 am
There isn't any between IXL and Kershaw. Scott just shipped it to me in a fancy IXL box. I'm going to dig around in my safe to find a nice IXL to display in the box.____Dave
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 am
Gone2Three wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 am
Treefarmer
Here's the other Queen Winterbottom I was wanting for. The scales seem slightly different on this vs. the last. Was there a change in the way they were made or is it just because the age of the knife?

Gone2Three, this is just an observation, not an opinion from an expert: I can't see the tang stamp on the original knife but with the etch still in place, I would venture it is maybe a newer knife than the 2nd one you just posted. The tang on the last one is either from the 1952-'55 era or from the 1951-'54 era according to the 2 Queen tang stamp charts that are found here on the forum. This knife could possibly have real Winterbottom bone handles as the imitation Winterbottom handles didn't appear until closer to the 1960s or maybe in the 60s. Usually the difference can be felt but to be sure, careful inspection with magnification will reveal Haversian canals in the bone and the delrin will be free of these small veins.
The color of the two knives are slightly different but that can be expected as dyes from on year to the next might be slightly different as well as the type of work it was used in. The real Winterbottom bone handles will lose their darker highlight color with use and become a very mellow, yellow bone color. Look at my avatar, those two #49s were made in the 1958-60 era, one is well used the other almost mint condition. Go to the search line on the forum and punch in Haversian, there should be a better explanation. It may be that both knives a real Winterbottom bone.
This question is not restricted to Queen knives, lots of knives are thought to be bone and end up being delrin. In my opinion the delrin handled knives are less likely to break or crack compared to a bone handle. But real bone is just a lot more classy. Winterbottom bone real or imitation usually requires a second look to make sure. The red/brown jigged delrin used in the Case knives is very easy to spot, tough stuff but not attractive.
Along that line, there is a small crack in the handle of the knife in question on the pile side. That's not to say that derlin wont crack, it will
I traded for 2 #19 imitation Winterbottom Queen trappers with an AAPK member, the handles are almost identical in every respect, length of groove and design are the same, only where the handle joins the bolster are there differences and that is a result of them being hafted by hand.
Here is a picture of 3 #19 Queen Trappers, the two I mentioned and one with real Winterbottom bone handles that have some age on them, in fact about 60 years.006.JPG
Queens are fascinating to me, not as popular as some other brands but they hold a special place in my memory. The old fellers, I'm talking about the one's that have gone to meet their just rewards, they either carried a Case, a Treebrand or a Queen back in the day. The Queens always stood out with the shiny blade when I was a kid. They caught my eye whether it was being used to skin a deer, clean a fish or cut a bull calf in the cow pen. Now I have a box full of 'em and almost too old to do much with the old Queens. :)
Treefarmer
Thanks Treefarmer,
I appreciate the reply along with this information and story behind your love of this brand. After posting this I reached out to the owner of these two and asked for some insight on the stamping. Couldn't remember exactly but said thought both were purchased at the beginning of 70's about a year or so apart from each other. He referred me to check with Queen's archive for reference and the stamp information. Looking at it seems to tie onto the time frame he mentioned. The 2 blade with no tang stamp has etched blade was purchased first, the three blade a couple of yrs after. So its probably not bone but delrin after all...
And that crack mentioned unfortunately was my fault from it slipping from my hand and hitting the floor ::dang:: hopefully it won't come completely off..
The two blade wasn't used as much... the 3 blade was a regular carry until replaced a few years later according to him. They are keepers with a story and definitely not show quality, but mine nonetheless! Until next time,
Cheers, Gone2Three
Here's the tang stamp info retrieved from the sight.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200331-072757_Drive.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The 3 blade has a sideways Q, that dates that one pretty close. The one with out a stamp is of a 10 year period that tang stamps were no used, only a blade etch. The knives could have very well been bought in the early 70s, there is no reason for there not to be a NIB old stock on a shelf, referring to the 3 blade.
Enjoy your old Queens!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Got this'un yestiddy.
Attachments
20200330_195254.jpg
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 pm The 3 blade has a sideways Q, that dates that one pretty close. The one with out a stamp is of a 10 year period that tang stamps were no used, only a blade etch. The knives could have very well been bought in the early 70s, there is no reason for there not to be a NIB old stock on a shelf, referring to the 3 blade.
Enjoy your old Queens!
Treefarmer
Will do! .... and if you ever want to part ways with one of your two #19's just give me a holler ::ds::
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

bighomer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm Got this'un yestiddy.
That's a nice Gerber! ::tu::
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

djknife13 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:44 am
ken98k wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 am
There isn't any between IXL and Kershaw. Scott just shipped it to me in a fancy IXL box. I'm going to dig around in my safe to find a nice IXL to display in the box.____Dave
::tu:: Okay, got it! :)
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is what the Ponder Post Rider brought me today. I wish I was going to be
able to carry it to Easter Service. It's a CASE 62165 SS 2019
Attachments
20200331_113756.jpg
20200331_113936.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:06 pm Here is what the Ponder Post Rider brought me today. I wish I was going to be
able to carry it to Easter Service. It's a CASE 62165 SS 2019
Very nice and appropriate to the season, Dave.
Stay healthy my friend,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

He is risen, indeed!
Very nice, David!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Looks Great David! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Oh, I forgot, ::dang:: Of course it does, it's a Case! ::super_happy::

My post man brought me a 1989 2 3/4" Böker Stockman. Supposedly 1 of 500. ::shrug:: Never used, sharpend or carried but no box.
Thanks for looking! :D
Attachments
P_20200401_184730.jpg
P_20200401_184945.jpg
P_20200401_190516.jpg
P_20200401_190536.jpg
P_20200401_190622.jpg

Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thats a nice Case knife you've got there David, the engraving on the bolsters are beautiful...not to mention that old Luger swiss isn't bad itself ::tu::

Tom I've been eyeing the older Boker knives, you did good on that one.

Here's today's mailbox haul from last weeks escapades with a few more due later in the week.
Cheers!
Attachments
20200401_125309.jpg
20200401_125250.jpg
20200401_125112.jpg
20200401_125220.jpg
20200401_124649.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Gone2Three wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm
bighomer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm Got this'un yestiddy.
That's a nice Gerber! ::tu::
Thanks buddy, just one of ole Scott's finds. I like it. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Came about a half-hour ago and as Gone2Three said, more on the way later in the week. This was on back order at Shepherd Hill until I got tired of waiting and found it cheaper at SMKW. Quick ship too. She's a beauty.
Attachments
Case 2019 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Crimson Red Bone Peach Seed Jig - Labeled.JPG
Case 2019 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Crimson Red Bone Peach Seed Jig - Tang Stamp.JPG
Case 2019 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Crimson Red Bone Peach Seed Jig - Pile Closed.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm Came about a half-hour ago and as Gone2Three said, more on the way later in the week. This was on back order at Shepherd Hill until I got tired of waiting and found it cheaper at SMKW. Quick ship too. She's a beauty.
Looks AWESOME Buddy!!! ::tu:: :D

Return to “General Knife Discussion”