Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by toomanyknives »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:14 am A while back I got interested in the G. Schrade's Stainless Steel Hunting & Fishing Knives. These old knives were made from 1926-1946, then there are some made with Boker etched blades that are a bit newer. They are available in every condition and there is an unbelievable asking price spred between owners!
Well, I got my 1st one several months back and a few days ago got another, both are in excellent shape. Some times when I end up with a pair of knives, they end up as birthday gifts for the two oldest grandsons, one in September and the other in February. So yesterday we mailed one to the oldest grandson for his birthday next week. Last week another one came up on Ebay that appeared to have a full blade and the lock looked right. It arrived today, not quite as nice as the 1st two, still with a full blade but someone put some unsightly scratches on the blade when they sharpened it. It'll stay in my pile most likely.
Personally, I find them unique for 1st being old, 2nd being simply made, 3rd I like the engraved (stamped) handles and their interesting history.
001.JPG005.JPG
Treefarmer
Those really are pretty cool, Treefarmer. The G. Schrade stuff can be interesting. I remember seeing some wire knives made by them that were also unique..
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have one Philip and I agree that they are unique. Congrats on yours. ::handshake::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

bighomer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm The mailman dropped these off yestiddy, thanks Jeffin. ::tu::

Beautiful Electrician, and that fish knife ain't bad either. Congrats BH.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

bighomer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm The mailman dropped these off yestiddy, thanks Jeffin. ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice. Jeffin does some jam up work!

treefarmer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:14 am A while back I got interested in the G. Schrade's Stainless Steel Hunting & Fishing Knives. These old knives were made from 1926-1946, then there are some made with Boker etched blades that are a bit newer. They are available in every condition and there is an unbelievable asking price spred between owners!
Well, I got my 1st one several months back and a few days ago got another, both are in excellent shape. Some times when I end up with a pair of knives, they end up as birthday gifts for the two oldest grandsons, one in September and the other in February. So yesterday we mailed one to the oldest grandson for his birthday next week. Last week another one came up on Ebay that appeared to have a full blade and the lock looked right. It arrived today, not quite as nice as the 1st two, still with a full blade but someone put some unsightly scratches on the blade when they sharpened it. It'll stay in my pile most likely.
Personally, I find them unique for 1st being old, 2nd being simply made, 3rd I like the engraved (stamped) handles and their interesting history.
001.JPG005.JPG
Treefarmer
::tu:: ::tu:: Looks good to me and she has a lot of life left in her. Great find Treefarmer!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Still got a gnarly stag wild hair up my keister; so, when I saw this 2013 S&M File & Wire 031208 Burnt Stag Pint Swaybelly, I couldn't resist. Normally, I'm not a big fan of wide spear blades, but the more I play around with this one, the more it grows on me. It is a DFC era knife, which, to be honest, gave me a moment of hesitation...however, the stag is just so gosh darned gnarly and beautiful I decided to take the risk. I was very relieved when I got it to find that the fit and finish are classic "old school" Queen, i.e., top notch in every respect (which is usually somewhat of a crap shoot with DFC era knives) . Also, it has D2 Tool Steel, which I much prefer to the DFC Carbon Steel. Closed Length = 3 5/8"

P9180023.JPG
P9180041.JPG
P9180002.JPG
P9180040.JPG
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Greaaaaaaaaaaat stag. Congrats, that's a beauty. Love those big spears too.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:55 am Still got a gnarly stag wild hair up my keister; so, when I saw this 2013 S&M File & Wire 031208 Burnt Stag Pint Swaybelly, I couldn't resist. Normally, I'm not a big fan of wide spear blades, but the more I play around with this one, the more it grows on me. It is a DFC era knife, which, to be honest, gave me a moment of hesitation...however, the stag is just so gosh darned gnarly and beautiful I decided to take the risk. I was very relieved when I got it to find that the fit and finish are classic "old school" Queen, i.e., top notch in every respect (which is usually somewhat of a crap shoot with DFC era knives) . Also, it has D2 Tool Steel, which I much prefer to the DFC Carbon Steel. Closed Length = 3 5/8"

P9180023.JPGP9180041.JPGP9180002.JPGP9180040.JPG
Another winner, Q!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That knife provided a great canvas for all that wonderful stag. Glad it is in your pile. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That stag has great character. Dirty shame other makers (Case) can't (won't) haft their handles that well.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:55 am Still got a gnarly stag wild hair up my keister; so, when I saw this 2013 S&M File & Wire 031208 Burnt Stag Pint Swaybelly, I couldn't resist. Normally, I'm not a big fan of wide spear blades, but the more I play around with this one, the more it grows on me. It is a DFC era knife, which, to be honest, gave me a moment of hesitation...however, the stag is just so gosh darned gnarly and beautiful I decided to take the risk. I was very relieved when I got it to find that the fit and finish are classic "old school" Queen, i.e., top notch in every respect (which is usually somewhat of a crap shoot with DFC era knives) . Also, it has D2 Tool Steel, which I much prefer to the DFC Carbon Steel. Closed Length = 3 5/8"
:shock: Man! Is that stag Sweeeeeeet!!! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

#goldpan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:26 am Nice knife Randy! Please share a picture after you get her cleaned up ::tu::
All purdy now!
Wasn't too bad, better condition than others I've received lol...
Happy to share it with you all here! ::super_happy::
Attachments
20210919_120441.jpg
20210919_120435.jpg
20210919_120421.jpg
20210919_120413.jpg
20210919_120403.jpg
20210919_120338.jpg
20210919_120326.jpg
20210919_120307.jpg
20210919_120302.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That's a real prize!! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Gone2Three wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 pm
All purdy now!
She cleaned up nicely. Handles are beautiful. Great find and great job!! ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap. I will post more about it with some info on it's background in the "My Latest Schrade Thread."
schrade usa 708b cad craft_a.JPG
schrade usa 708b cad craft_b.JPG
schrade usa 708b cad craft_c2.JPG

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice find. I had read the history on those but have forgotten now. ::shrug::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 pm Very knice find. I had read the history on those but have forgotten now. ::shrug::
Thanks Floyd. Ripster and I had talked about it back when he posted one he had picked up. Not much info out there on it. Some theorized it may have been a sales promo, a Give Away at dealerships, or an award for service knife. But I posted what I found out on the owner of this one in the Schrade section.

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 pm Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife...This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts
Now THAT is a GREAT find, Smitty! Very Cool. Congrats on a fantastic score. ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:14 pm
Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 pm Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife...This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts
Now THAT is a GREAT find, Smitty! Very Cool. Congrats on a fantastic score. ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
Thank you "Q" and Congrats to you on some fine stag finds lately!! ::tu::

Smitty
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:32 pm
Gone2Three wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 pm
All purdy now!
She cleaned up nicely. Handles are beautiful. Great find and great job!! ::tu::

Really appreciate it, yep those old bones are something! ::tu::
treefarmer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:49 pm That's a real prize!! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Thank you Treefarmer! ::handshake::
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Q - that S&M is a beauty... Love that stag! ::nod::

Smitty, nice new Schrade Cadillac knife ::tu::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Gone2Three wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 pm Q - that S&M is a beauty... Love that stag! ::nod::

Smitty, nice new Schrade Cadillac knife ::tu::
Thanks G2Three!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Great scores, Gone2Three and Smitty! Some time will pass before my next one...I need to cull the herd a bit.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 pm Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap. I will post more about it with some info on it's background in the "My Latest Schrade Thread."
I have been outdone, Smitty! You now have the Cadillac of Craftsman knives! ::tu:: ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:45 pm Finally received this one late yesterday evening. It is a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp 708B. A 2-3/4" Serpentine Pen knife, it has the smooth black delrin handles with the Cadillac Emblem Shield.On the mark side, the clip blade has a Schrade U.S.A. tang stamp (without the model number) with a blade etch of "Cadillac Craftsman", and on the pile side it has the model number. This one is like new and came in the plastic view box with all inserts. No use evident on the blades and great snap. I will post more about it with some info on it's background in the "My Latest Schrade Thread."
Beautiful Smitty! ::tu:: Love the smooth black covers and super-cool Caddy shield! ::nod:: Great find! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

doglegg wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:40 pm It must be Barrett Tool season. I fished this old beat up one out the bay recently. Always like the looks of them and finally found one I could afford. Blade well used but all parts there. HHH on the handle. Thanks for looking. DSCN7281.JPGDSCN7282.JPGDSCN7283.JPGDSCN7284.JPGDSCN7285.JPG

Cool, dog! I got mine in hand last night, worked on giving it a little spit shine and will post some pictures on a different thread tonight. 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”