Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by doglegg »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:11 pm
doglegg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Oooops. :oops: :oops:

Hey just kidding my fellow dog, I suspect there are enough short lines and #72s to go around :wink:
I detected a little tongue in cheek there GSP..... ::handshake::
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

doglegg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm
doglegg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 am
:wink: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 pm
Sorry mate!
:oops:

It's too easy to take things the wrong way online... I honestly didn't know you were joking.
Please accept my apology sir, my bad!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 am
Sorry mate!

It's too easy to take things the wrong way online... I honestly didn't know you were joking.
No worries mate! :wink: ::handshake:: You are right, from just the text and nothing else to go by it is easy to take things the wrong way online ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:08 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 am

Sorry mate!

No worries mate! :wink: ::handshake:: You are right, from just the text and nothing else to go by it is easy to take things the wrong way online ::hmm::
::handshake::

Exactly mate! ::nod:: ::hmm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A good friend had shown me this knife a while ago and I immediately ask if it was for sale. The answer was no as it was one of his favorite knives and in excellent condition. Sense then I have continued to inquire about it and finally the answer was to ask what I thought it was worth. I gave my answer as an at least price, he responded with a price and we were able to come to a dollar amount satisfactory to both of us. It is a Schrade 863 KON-KAV in wonderful condition. The handles are bone!!! More than I've ever paid for a 72 style knife but excited to get to house it for a while. I will post more pics in the 72 clone thread. How do I feel about this one? ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
DSCN7296.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Half the knives in this group were super-cheap junk. Those I just packed away; as to actually have some POS knives for the POS Exchange. One turned out to be an automatic (Super Knife USA that doesn't lock shut); which may explain why the seller sent them FedEx.

Here's some good ones.

The Poorman (actually, that's the tang stamp!) Pakistani Folding Hunter I viewed as a POS, but it's not. Handles are horn, brass bolsters, and it's surprisingly well put together. Will definitely be carried and used.

Schrade USA CH8. Rust, filthy, and a beat up blade. Missing (supposedly non removable) pocket clip, but one of the older removable variety intended for the CH-7 will snap right in once I take out the screw that held the old clip. Should clean up into a nice beater.

Pierre Cardin by Richartz Solingen. Brand new, never used.

Smith and Wesson USA Sportsman Series Shooter's Tool. This is an original USA-made knife from the 1970s; not a Taylor remake. Blade has some tiny chips in it, which should sharpen out. Worth the $30 I paid for this lot alone. Why I bought it too.

SOG Micron II. Has some lock issues, which I suspect are due to it being FILTHY. If it's something else, I'll send it to SOG and get a warranty replacement.
KIMG0303.JPG

They were also packed in a pretty sturdy Estee Lauder zipper bag. That will definitely be put to use once I clean it out. It's better made than those actually made for tools.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

doglegg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm A good friend had shown me this knife a while ago and I immediately ask if it was for sale. The answer was no as it was one of his favorite knives and in excellent condition. Sense then I have continued to inquire about it and finally the answer was to ask what I thought it was worth. I gave my answer as an at least price, he responded with a price and we were able to come to a dollar amount satisfactory to both of us. It is a Schrade 863 KON-KAV in wonderful condition. The handles are bone!!! More than I've ever paid for a 72 style knife but excited to get to house it for a while. I will post more pics in the 72 clone thread. How do I feel about this one? ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: DSCN7296.JPG
SCORE!! Persistence pays off!!🎊 Congrats Floyd!!👏
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

doglegg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm A good friend had shown me this knife a while ago and I immediately ask if it was for sale. The answer was no as it was one of his favorite knives and in excellent condition. Sense then I have continued to inquire about it and finally the answer was to ask what I thought it was worth. I gave my answer as an at least price, he responded with a price and we were able to come to a dollar amount satisfactory to both of us. It is a Schrade 863 KON-KAV in wonderful condition. The handles are bone!!! More than I've ever paid for a 72 style knife but excited to get to house it for a while. I will post more pics in the 72 clone thread. How do I feel about this one? ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: DSCN7296.JPG
Way to go doglegg, beautiful bones, sweet condition, real excitement bringer. Everything you could ask for. Congrats and enjoy that beauty. Mmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just received from Shepherd Hills Cutlery. Case copperhead in crimson bone with wharncliffe blade. ::tu::
case copperhead.jpg
case copperhead.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nev52 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm Just received from Shepherd Hills Cutlery. Case copperhead in crimson bone with wharncliffe blade. ::tu::

case copperhead.jpg
Nice! I'm hoping my plain jane Yellow Delrin CV model ships pretty soon. It was on backorder when I got it on sale a couple weeks ago from them.

I may be getting a Wharncliffe version as well as the collection knife.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John, Iman thanks for your kind words. Can't express how pleased I am with it. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
Nev52 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm Just received from Shepherd Hills Cutlery. Case copperhead in crimson bone with wharncliffe blade. ::tu::
case copperhead.jpg
Love the Wharncliff model. Like the bone as well. ::tu::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sweeeeeeet! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm Smith and Wesson USA Sportsman Series Shooter's Tool. This is an original USA-made knife from the 1970s; not a Taylor remake. Blade has some tiny chips in it, which should sharpen out. Worth the $30 I paid for this lot alone. Why I bought it too.
Nice mixed lot of knives Cody! ::tu:: :D One of them catches my Special interest. The shooter's tool. I'm interested because I have seen ::hmm:: at least three of them show up on eBay over here in the last couple of years. So please tell me how I can tell the difference between one from 1970's & a remake. Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Always good to learn something new. ::nod::

Edit: Open mouth, insert foot I guess. ::dang:: The blade etch would be a dead giveaway. ::facepalm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

case copperhead.jpg
Winner Winner!! 🎊🎉🎊
John 👍
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 pm
cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm Smith and Wesson USA Sportsman Series Shooter's Tool. This is an original USA-made knife from the 1970s; not a Taylor remake. Blade has some tiny chips in it, which should sharpen out. Worth the $30 I paid for this lot alone. Why I bought it too.
Nice mixed lot of knives Cody! ::tu:: :D One of them catches my Special interest. The shooter's tool. I'm interested because I have seen ::hmm:: at least three of them show up on eBay over here in the last couple of years. So please tell me how I can tell the difference between one from 1970's & a remake. Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Always good to learn something new. ::nod::

Edit: Open mouth, insert foot I guess. ::dang:: The blade etch would be a dead giveaway. ::facepalm::
Thanks! I bought this lot as that one knife tends to be very expensive. I think more were produced by Taylor in Japan than by/for Smith and Wesson in Vermont. Seems that regardless of whether it came out of Japan or Vermont, sellers want about the same. Seems that from what little I've been able to dig up, the line was introduced in 1981 (fixed blades); I'm guessing to compete with the wildly successful line of knives Browning had introduced about a decade prior. I saw some patents that were drawn up in 1991, but cancelled in 1992 because of "no response". Presumably, that means the company in VT went under in 1991-2.

Here is what I've noticed.

First of all, the dead giveaway. All the later Taylor models have a three-screw pocket clip; and holes drilled for it. The USA models never featured any kind of a clip.

USA models will have no tang stamps at all; just the blade etch and handle engraving. These were made by a company called Vermont Knives of West Rutland, VT. The remakes marketed by Taylor Brands are stamped "SMITH AND WESSON USA" on the blade and "SEKI JAPAN" on the screwdriver. Some versions may have been produced in China.

As you said, I noticed that the remakes don't have an etch. The USA ones are etched with the Smith and Wesson logo.

The USA models have a lightly engraved Smith and Wesson crest, with "STAINLESS" above and "USA" below. The Taylor Brands models usually have a gold-tone Smith and Wesson medallion glued to a cutout in the handle.

Hope this helps.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a beauty Floyd, ::tu:: congrats! Not my style, but I can still appreciate a nice knife! Interesting how you got it too! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

case copperhead.jpg
Very nice Nev! ::tu:: I love the covers and wharnie blade! 8)
8)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Madmarco, interesting that you said not your kind of knife. I always look at your knives and can appreciate them but they are never ones I would buy. That makes me appreciate your opinion of my knife even more. Our specifics are not shared but our over all love of knives is. Thank you. ::handshake:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

doglegg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm Madmarco, interesting that you said not your kind of knife. I always look at your knives and can appreciate them but they are never ones I would buy. That makes me appreciate your opinion of my knife even more. Our specifics are not shared but our over all love of knives is. Thank you. ::handshake:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
You're most welcome Floyd, ::handshake:: and thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've been goin' to the mailbox a lot lately, poor me huh! I got this cool swinguard from our ebay buddy "doodlefroodle" today! Funny thing is, prior to spotting this one I'd never seen this style knife before, then as I was browsing ebay this morning I found another one but with brown covers and a clip-point blade! I like my dagger blade and black covers WAY more! 8)
WIN_20210922_11_10_34_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210922_11_09_55_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Very nice Mark. I haven’t seen that style before either. I like it.
I got very pleasant surprise today from Maddogfl, this Bayes Barlow. Going to use this one in my EDC rotation. Many thanks Steve, she is a beauty.
Attachments
F2F3A8F0-88B4-4AAF-8C05-AEB897B6D645.jpeg
E3E941A4-43F0-4C33-BF6B-455AA4E90CD0.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 pm Very nice Mark. I haven’t seen that style before either. I like it.
I got very pleasant surprise today from Maddogfl, this Bayes Barlow. Going to use this one in my EDC rotation. Many thanks Steve, she is a beauty.
Nice Barlow Mark! Is that the one we've been discussing, and are those actually ivory covers? Beautiful either way! That Steve is a good ole' egg! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 pm
TPK wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks! I bought this lot as that one knife tends to be very expensive. I think more were produced by Taylor in Japan than by/for Smith and Wesson in Vermont. Seems that regardless of whether it came out of Japan or Vermont, sellers want about the same. Seems that from what little I've been able to dig up, the line was introduced in 1981 (fixed blades); I'm guessing to compete with the wildly successful line of knives Browning had introduced about a decade prior. I saw some patents that were drawn up in 1991, but cancelled in 1992 because of "no response". Presumably, that means the company in VT went under in 1991-2.

Here is what I've noticed.

First of all, the dead giveaway. All the later Taylor models have a three-screw pocket clip; and holes drilled for it. The USA models never featured any kind of a clip.

USA models will have no tang stamps at all; just the blade etch and handle engraving. These were made by a company called Vermont Knives of West Rutland, VT. The remakes marketed by Taylor Brands are stamped "SMITH AND WESSON USA" on the blade and "SEKI JAPAN" on the screwdriver. Some versions may have been produced in China.

As you said, I noticed that the remakes don't have an etch. The USA ones are etched with the Smith and Wesson logo.

The USA models have a lightly engraved Smith and Wesson crest, with "STAINLESS" above and "USA" below. The Taylor Brands models usually have a gold-tone Smith and Wesson medallion glued to a cutout in the handle.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Appreciate your Input! ::tu:: ::nod::

Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks everyone!! I really like it ::ds:: Cody I also wanted the delrim cv model but the crimson bone and wharncliffe blade sold it !!!
case copperhead.jpg
case copperhead.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

Return to “General Knife Discussion”