Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by toomanyknives »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 pm Just picked up a new Buck 301. I'm really impressed with the quality of this knife. love the blade grinds on all three.
This will be a great EDC...IMG_1685 (2).JPG
Those Black Sawcut 300 series knives are great users. ::tu::

For those who may not already know, don’t let the lack of handle pins or the lack of a pin through the shield fool you. The liner, the bolsters, and the shield are all the same piece of steel. The second photo was borrowed from member 300Bucks. It’s a better pic than the ones I have.
IMG_5101.JPG
Buck Shield.jpg
The method of attachment that Buck uses for the handles is far better than glue and possibly even better than pins. The handles start off with black “posts” on inner side. The posts go through the holes in the liners and then the posts are melted and sanded flush with the liner. Those little ridges on the outside perimeter of the holes keeps the handle from pulling away from the liner. The plastic melts into those ridges and creates a very secure attachment.
IMG_5106.JPG
IMG_5096.JPG
These Black Sawcut 300 series knives aren’t going to come apart under any kind of abuse the user can throw at them.
Very cool! Thanks for the info, Rick! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:53 pm Smitty, JP, Dan, TMK, you guys have got some beauties there. Very nice, indeed. The bright blue Alox is really, really nice. Love that blue. ::tu::
Thank you, LJ!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

If it has been posted once, it has been posted 1000 times, "We learn something new on AAPK everyday, if we just search!"
Had no clue concerning the construction of those Buck knives.
Thanks for posting those pictures!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 pm Just picked up a new Buck 301. I'm really impressed with the quality of this knife. love the blade grinds on all three.
This will be a great EDC...IMG_1685 (2).JPG
Those Black Sawcut 300 series knives are great users. ::tu::

For those who may not already know, don’t let the lack of handle pins or the lack of a pin through the shield fool you. The liner, the bolsters, and the shield are all the same piece of steel. The second photo was borrowed from member 300Bucks. It’s a better pic than the ones I have.
IMG_5101.JPG
Buck Shield.jpg
The method of attachment that Buck uses for the handles is far better than glue and possibly even better than pins. The handles start off with black “posts” on inner side. The posts go through the holes in the liners and then the posts are melted and sanded flush with the liner. Those little ridges on the outside perimeter of the holes keeps the handle from pulling away from the liner. The plastic melts into those ridges and creates a very secure attachment.
IMG_5106.JPG
IMG_5096.JPG
These Black Sawcut 300 series knives aren’t going to come apart under any kind of abuse the user can throw at them.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

treefarmer wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 am If it has been posted once, it has been posted 1000 times, "We learn something new on AAPK everyday, if we just search!"
Had no clue concerning the construction of those Buck knives.
Thanks for posting those pictures!
Treefarmer
I echo what Philip stated. ::tu:: I was not aware of this construction method either. Thanks for educating us, Rick. ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

My order from Einhorn LLC arrived this morning. A much-needed new belt (now sporting a Case buckle), plus a sheath for a Sod Buster Jr, a slip for a Peanut, and a key fob. I'm very, very pleased, and I highly recommend Ross' products!
Einhorn LLC Order.jpg
Sheath And Slip Filled.jpg
Sheath And Slip Empty.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Those are really nice Dan.

I've said it recently that I didn't have a "Purina" knife only because I couldn't find one in the places I've gone.
Well I found not one but two, the one I was really looking for, the Stockman and a Barlow. The Stockman is
in pretty bad shape, but it will do until I find a better one. Also I couldn't resist the tourist souvenir
"Great Smoky Mts." knife, just an impulse buy.
20210515_104614.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:17 pm My order from Einhorn LLC arrived this morning. A much-needed new belt (now sporting a Case buckle), plus a sheath for a Sod Buster Jr, a slip for a Peanut, and a key fob. I'm very, very pleased, and I highly recommend Ross' products!

Einhorn LLC Order.jpg

Very nice Dan. ::tu:: ::tu:: Good looking leather work.

dlr110 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:14 pm Those are really nice Dan.

I've said it recently that I didn't have a "Purina" knife only because I couldn't find one in the places I've gone.
Well I found not one but two, the one I was really looking for, the Stockman and a Barlow. The Stockman is
in pretty bad shape, but it will do until I find a better one. Also I couldn't resist the tourist souvenir
"Great Smoky Mts." knife, just an impulse buy.
20210515_104614.jpg
Good finds David. Gotta love those Purina promos. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:17 pm My order from Einhorn LLC arrived this morning. A much-needed new belt (now sporting a Case buckle), plus a sheath for a Sod Buster Jr, a slip for a Peanut, and a key fob. I'm very, very pleased, and I highly recommend Ross' products!

Einhorn LLC Order.jpg

So glad it didn't go through San Francisco for you ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A new 6318 and a new shave mug from SHC.
20210515_151405.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm A new 6318 and a new shave mug from SHC.
20210515_151405.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::clapping:: Very nice. Can't go wrong with an 18. I see a mug order in my future. :D

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Got a couple in yesterday. Had to do the oil bath and some cleanup on them. First a POWR-KRAFT 84-11 that adds to my Camillus 72 Clone family. I'll post some more about this one in the Camillus 72 Clone Thread. It was nasty and delrin handles were oxidized when I got it. But it was a $15 knife. Blades do have some wear, but cleaned up nicely. Main Clip blade has weak snap, but had none to begin with. Small Clip and Coping blade have great snap.
POWR_KRAFT 84_11_a.JPG
POWR_KRAFT 84_11_b.JPG
POWR_KRAFT 84_11_c.JPG
Next I picked up Schrade Florist knife with the "Say It With Flowers" etch on the Pile side handles and Business Address on the Front side. It is a single Grafting Blade, and has a very positive half stop, and great snap. The Tang Stamp is SCHRADE, CUT. CO., WALDEN N.Y. Which was used from 1917 until 1946.
Schrade Cut Co Florist_a.png
Schrade Cut Co Florist_b.png

Smitty
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Today was a really strange one.Was headed out to meet an old friend for breakfast and when I turned on to the main street from our subdivision I spied a yard sale.Actually went by it and something told me to turn around so I did and pulled into the driveway.
There were a couple tables and on the tables were these really strange boxes made of plastic with latches on the side. Inside the four boxes were two different knives,a keychain screwdriver set and a telescoping pen with 3 refills. The company name was True Utility and they are apparently based in the UK. The two knives were a Skeleton Knife and a Smart Knife.The former is a very minimalist knife similar to a Gerber only sans pocket clip. The Smart Knife is a multi-tool of sorts with the assisted opening tab also functioning as a straight slot screwdriver;the frame is cutout to permit it's use as a wrench from 4mm to 12 mm;it also has a belt cutter blade and there is a cap lifter on one end and the other is a spring loaded belt loop clip.
The other two boxes contained a Mini Driver(the tool;not the actress)that features 4 small screwdriver tips that are magnetic and store inside the handle that is slotted to allow a coin or a key to be inserted to provide additional leverage.It has a keychain attachment .
The last item is called a Tele Pen which is a ball point pen that telescopes in length to form a full size pen and comes with 3 refills.I bought these mainly because I have a couple of pens that use this size refill(one is an Imperial small pocket knife with folding pen)and have had trouble finding them in stores.
I also bought them because they were just a dollar apiece! And I liked the trick boxes!
At the flea market later on I found a tiny pair of folding scissors in it's own pouch made by Wiss Germany for $2.
My friend Wayne wanted to meet up to give me the last four copies of a book he had published of some of my lettering styles. These were drawings I had made while sitting around watching TV over a period of a few years.When he had seen the drawings he thought we could put together a bunch of them into a book and sell them.
I was very skeptical about the idea but told him to give it a go.He had published 20 copies and had given me one awhile back. He kept one for himself and sold all but four.He hasn't been able to put time into that endeavor as he is in the process of building a custom 1954 Kaiser that he made into a convertible.By the way did I happen to mention that Wayne is 80 years old? He also gifted me one of his newly published coloring books containing automotive drawings of custom cars that were done by a friend of his who has since passed away. He did this as a tribute to him and all the profits are going to his friend's widow.
Attachments
TrueUtilityToolSkeletonKnife$1.JPG
TrueUtilityToolSmartKnife$1.JPG
TrueUtilityTool MiniDriver$1.JPG
TrueUtilityToolTelescopingPen&Refills$1.JPG
WissGermanyFoldingScissors$2 002.jpg
WissGermanyFoldingScissors$2 004.jpg
Books 003.jpg
Books 001.jpg
Books 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

knife7knut wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:15 pm Today was a really strange one.Was headed out to meet an old friend for breakfast....
Interesting finds for sure. Awesome artwork on the cars. ::tu::

Smitty
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

I can see that our members have good taste in knives, and some fascinating side interests. That custom car coloring book looks like fun! Anyway, I finally broke down and got a Cripple Creek knife by Bob Cargill. It is a 1982 Knife World Coffin Jack from SharpNShinyKnives here on AAPK. The knife is beautiful!
IMG_6247.jpg
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Wow! Lots & lots of cool knives and stuff being posted here.
Cool leather items Dan! ::tu:: ::nod::
Cool yard sale finds! ::tu:: :D
Beautiful SH delivery! ::tu:: :D
Smitty I like that one! ::tu:: ::nod::
SSK has a very classy selection! ::nod:: ::tu::
Last but not least, Congrats on the Purina knives David! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

I have a few new additions to my EDC pile I haven't posted yet. Did some cleaning on them this morning and thought I'd show you guys what they look like.

1) The nicest and cleanest of the pack is a 4" Hartkopf with Horn handles, Pinched bolsters & a corkscrew. It only needed some oil.

2) The next 5 were bought as a lot. 4 of them are stamped F.H.N. (over) Solingen. The 5th one of the lot has some other stamp. ::shrug:: These 5 knives just needed a very light cleaning & some oil.

3) The last knife I have to show is a Ed Wüsthof Dreizack Solingen. It was a total mess! ::doh:: Spent 2 of my 3-hrs. of cleaning on this one alone but it turned out to be a good knife. ::nod::

Will take me three posts and a few min. time to get all the pictures of them posted so stay tuned. ::tu::

These knives are nothing to brag about. Just some EDC's, but as always, thanks for looking friends! ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_20210516_123309_918.jpg
IMG_20210516_123251_196.jpg
IMG_20210516_161127_595.jpg
IMG_20210516_161451_451.jpg
IMG_20210516_161357_845.jpg
IMG_20210516_161324_943.jpg
IMG_20210516_161318_429.jpg
IMG_20210516_161307_042.jpg
IMG_20210516_163232_361.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Lot of 5 knives. 4 of these have the same tang stamps. The odd-ball could read F.H.N. STAHL. ::hmm:: The seller said the 5 knives were of the same brand. Quality of the knives is ok except for the cheap handle materials. 4 appear to be plastic. The flat black one has (non Aluminium) metal handles. All seven knives I am posting have a great strong snap and no blade wobble. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20210516_162517_575.jpg
IMG_20210516_162338_810.jpg
IMG_20210516_162248_664.jpg
IMG_20210516_162222_945.jpg
IMG_20210516_162211_904.jpg
IMG_20210516_162143_152.jpg
IMG_20210516_162119_844.jpg
IMG_20210516_162053_619.jpg
IMG_20210516_161924_887.jpg
IMG_20210516_161849_157.jpg

TPK

Post by TPK »

And last but not least, this Ed Wüsthof Dreizack Solingen. It took me about 2-hrs. of elbow grease to get this one cleaned up the way I wanted it but it turned out pretty nice. Even the yellow cracked ice handles grew on me (to some extent) after a while. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210516_163028_353.jpg
IMG_20210516_162909_580.jpg
IMG_20210516_162759_708.jpg
IMG_20210516_162751_541.jpg
IMG_20210516_162723_293.jpg
IMG_20210516_162659_254.jpg
IMG_20210516_162603_889.jpg
IMG_20210516_163232_361.jpg
Time to cool off. :-)
Time to cool off. :-)

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::clapping:: Good job on those Tom. It's always a good feeling When you can bring one back to a good serviceable knife. I really like the one with the two blades and corkscrew with the pinched bolsters. Almost looks like horn handle.

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:44 pm ::tu:: ::tu:: ::clapping:: Good job on those Tom. It's always a good feeling When you can bring one back to a good serviceable knife. I really like the one with the two blades and corkscrew with the pinched bolsters. Almost looks like horn handle.
Thanks Smitty! ::handshake:: That's a Hartkopf with Horn handles. ::nod:: ::tu::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

David, Smitty, Steve, and Tom: thank you for the kind words, and no worries about a spontaneous journey to the West Coast! Y'all showed had some great pick-ups, too. There is another X318 in my future...

Knife7Knut and Rustle showed some good pick-ups, too. I'm amazed that Knife7Knut keeps finding stuff he doesn't have!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Tom, your Hartkopf looks like a fine quality piece. Loving it.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:51 pm

I have a few new additions to my EDC pile I haven't posted yet. Did some cleaning on them this morning and thought I'd show you guys what they look like.

1) The nicest and cleanest of the pack is a 4" Hartkopf with Horn handles, Pinched bolsters & a corkscrew. It only needed some oil.

Congrats, nice score. I have been looking at a Hartkopt and really like what I see, the classy old look with that horn is greaaaaaaaaaat. Good score. Nice show too. Thanks for the look.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 am
TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Congrats, nice score. I have been looking at a Hartkopt and really like what I see, the classy old look with that horn is greaaaaaaaaaat. Good score. Nice show too. Thanks for the look.
Quick Steel wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:39 pm Tom, your Hartkopf looks like a fine quality piece. Loving it.

Thanks friends! ::handshake:: Appreciate it! ::super_happy::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Sorry wrong thread.. I'm using my phone and I'm not very good with it.

Picked these up on the first day of our road trip. There was a lot of knives but no real deals. All prices were FIRM and mostly over priced.
Attachments
20210516_162506.jpg
20210516_170412.jpg
20210516_195154.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”