Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Ivoryman

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Dan, know what you mean about the bug biting. I've been bitten.

Thanks doglegg, great looking EZ open there. Love those bones and the blade looks so aged and like a cool relic blade. Would love to see the cleaned up results. Congrats.

Loose Arrow, that's some beauty. Wow, that is pretty. Gorgeous and I love a knife with rounded ends like that. Looks comfy in the pocket for sure.

Thanks all for the comments if I missed ya.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:45 pm Loose Arrow, that's some beauty. Wow, that is pretty. Gorgeous and I love a knife with rounded ends like that. Looks comfy in the pocket for sure.

Thanks all for the comments if I missed ya.
Thanks! ::tu:: Have a safe weekend Iman.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great looking knives everyone! ::tu:: ::nod::

LA that puppy is... ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

TPK wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:16 am Great looking knives everyone! ::tu:: ::nod::

LA that puppy is... ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks friend! ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I saw a #45 Queen Big Chief the other day in the shallow end of the bay. It looked great, aluminum handle were not dinged up, the blade still had a full etch, the owner said knife was in great shape. So I bid on it and ended up with it for a very decent price. The knife arrived yesterday and was packaged properly and was a beauty to behold once I got it free of the bubble wrap and clear tape along with a nice thank you note. :) Then things went south. :( The knife has no snap, it opens and closes but without any spring action. What to do? I looked at the sellers other items, this was the only knife listed, he isn't a knife person, the knife opens and closes and looks nice. I don't think he knew any better. I'm a bit disappointed but I choose not to return it or make a fuss. A good handle and a good blade make it a parts knife and I found a place to get a new spring and then all I will need is a pin. Some of y'all know how simple the #45's are, only 4 parts. I read where Cody described his go round with one of theses a while back. ::tu::
Great handle, no dings.
Great handle, no dings.
Full etch and fairly full blade, just no spring action for the half stop position.
Full etch and fairly full blade, just no spring action for the half stop position.
You never know when you just look at a picture and don't ask questions. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sorry for your disappointment with such a great old knife. Hope you can get it working. ::dang:: ::facepalm::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 am I saw a #45 Queen Big Chief the other day in the shallow end of the bay. It looked great, aluminum handle were not dinged up, the blade still had a full etch, the owner said knife was in great shape. So I bid on it and ended up with it for a very decent price. The knife arrived yesterday and was packaged properly and was a beauty to behold once I got it free of the bubble wrap and clear tape along with a nice thank you note. :) Then things went south. :( The knife has no snap, it opens and closes but without any spring action. What to do? I looked at the sellers other items, this was the only knife listed, he isn't a knife person, the knife opens and closes and looks nice. I don't think he knew any better. I'm a bit disappointed but I choose not to return it or make a fuss. A good handle and a good blade make it a parts knife and I found a place to get a new spring and then all I will need is a pin. Some of y'all know how simple the #45's are, only 4 parts. I read where Cody described his go round with one of theses a while back. ::tu::001.JPG002.JPG
Treefarmer

Just curious. Is the spring broken or worn?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tom Chase graciously sold me this Schrade 863. I would call it NOS. Wonderful knife, thanks again Tom. More pic's in the 72 clone thread.
DSCN7252.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

edge213 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm
treefarmer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 am I saw a #45 Queen Big Chief the other day in the shallow end of the bay. It looked great, aluminum handle were not dinged up, the blade still had a full etch, the owner said knife was in great shape. So I bid on it and ended up with it for a very decent price. The knife arrived yesterday and was packaged properly and was a beauty to behold once I got it free of the bubble wrap and clear tape along with a nice thank you note. :) Then things went south. :( The knife has no snap, it opens and closes but without any spring action. What to do? I looked at the sellers other items, this was the only knife listed, he isn't a knife person, the knife opens and closes and looks nice. I don't think he knew any better. I'm a bit disappointed but I choose not to return it or make a fuss. A good handle and a good blade make it a parts knife and I found a place to get a new spring and then all I will need is a pin. Some of y'all know how simple the #45's are, only 4 parts. I read where Cody described his go round with one of theses a while back. ::tu::001.JPG002.JPG
Treefarmer

Just curious. Is the spring broken or worn?
edge213, I had an offer from a fellow AAPK member to repair this knife if I could find a spring. I found where to get a spring and before I ordered it I decided to look at the knife a bit closer. I got one of my "good" Big Chiefs out for comparison and found the tang appears to be completely rounded off and does not compress the spring at any point from closed to open. Opening and closing the knife reminds me of an Opinel friction knife. Something went wrong a long while back for it to be worn this much. Am I correct assuming the spring is harder than the blade? I'll disassemble the knife and see what is going on. Here are the pictures I took showing the difference in the tangs with the blade in the same position, no spring movement and then the bit of metal on the back shows some unusual wear or stress.
Compare the tangs, #2 is round and apparently does not engage the spring.
Compare the tangs, #2 is round and apparently does not engage the spring.
A tiny bit of stressed metal adjacent to the spring protrusion.
A tiny bit of stressed metal adjacent to the spring protrusion.
When I get time, I'll take it apart and show the condition of the blade.
Treefarmer

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Steve P was gracious enough to sell me this 72 CutRite variation. Did not have one and proud to get it. Thanks Steve. ::handshake::
DSCN7243.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is what the Ponder Post Rider left me today.
The CASE Collectors Club, 40 Years Gray Heritage Jig Folding Hunter 6165 w/leather sheath.
Attachments
20210727_130146.jpg
20210727_130228.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Treefarmer, Floyd, and David, y'all have some great new additions. Every one is a winner!

Roland (Kootenay Joe) recently posted up a lot of Schrades for sale. I couldn't bite down on that lure fast enough. Both Canada Post and USPS were at peak, and the lot arrived today.

Old Timers, an Uncle Henry, and two Sears kick it off. From top to bottom, left to right: 12OT, 106OT, early 108OT, 707UH, Craftsman 95941, and Old Crafty 9545 (AKA Old Crafty Jr.).
OTs, UH, And Sears Marks.jpg
OTs, UH, And Sears Piles.jpg
OTs, UH, And Sears Open.jpg
The next ones are 219s and 708s. From top to bottom, left to right: two 708s, 219 jack (currently in my pocket), 219 small Stockman (in absolutely phenomenal condition), and two 708Bs, one with "C & H Transportation Co." on the pile side.
219s And 708s Marks.jpg
219s And 708s Piles.jpg
219s And 708s Open.jpg
Finally, Roland also threw in these two: a pen bearing no model number and a Primble Belknap 934. The pen might be in for some new covers.
Pen And Primble Marks.jpg
Pen And Primble Piles.jpg
Pen And Primble Open.jpg
Many, many thanks to Roland for making this basket full o' peaches available!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dan you got quite the harvest there. Roland is always a good man to deal with. ::nod::

Dr, that's a fine looking knife. ::tu::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:58 pm Treefarmer, Floyd, and David, y'all have some great new additions. Every one is a winner!

Roland (Kootenay Joe) recently posted up a lot of Schrades for sale. I couldn't bite down on that lure fast enough. Both Canada Post and USPS were at peak, and the lot arrived today.

Old Timers, an Uncle Henry, and two Sears kick it off. From top to bottom, left to right: 12OT, 106OT, early 108OT, 707UH, Craftsman 95941, and Old Crafty 9545 (AKA Old Crafty Jr.).

OTs, UH, And Sears Marks.jpg

OTs, UH, And Sears Piles.jpg

OTs, UH, And Sears Open.jpg

The next ones are 219s and 708s. From top to bottom, left to right: two 708s, 219 jack (currently in my pocket), 219 small Stockman (in absolutely phenomenal condition), and two 708Bs, one with "C & H Transportation Co." on the pile side.

219s And 708s Marks.jpg

219s And 708s Piles.jpg

219s And 708s Open.jpg

Finally, Roland also threw in these two: a pen bearing no model number and a Primble Belknap 934. The pen might be in for some new covers.

Pen And Primble Marks.jpg

Pen And Primble Piles.jpg

Pen And Primble Open.jpg

Many, many thanks to Roland for making this basket full o' peaches available!
Awesome group you picked up Dan. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thank you, Floyd and Smitty! And yet another thanks for Roland, as well!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

My wife bought me this old trapper from and antique shop in Poulsbo Washington. (A beautiful town) It needs some attention and has a chip in the blade but it's special being from her.
DSCN7230.JPG
DSCN7231.JPG
DSCN7232.JPG
DSCN7233.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Congratulations Floyd, that is the kind of knife that is a perfect gift!
Your wife has great taste!
If it was new, what could you do with it, put in on a shelf or put in your pocket? With this old Case you can enjoy bringing it back to life and not worry about it being dinged up a bit. I imagine it'll have some great edges when you finish with it. ::tu::
Treefarmer

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm My wife bought me this old trapper from and antique shop in Poulsbo Washington. (A beautiful town) It needs some attention and has a chip in the blade but it's special being from her.
::tu:: ::tu:: Definitely a special gift and a Special Wife. Kudos on both!! ::nod::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Philip and Papa Bones. She is a keeper and the knife as well.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm Thanks Philip and Papa Bones. She is a keeper and the knife as well.
Yep,a keeper both ways ! You done well Floyd . ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm She is a keeper and the knife as well.
Agreed on both counts. I'll drop a hint for my upcoming birthday celebration and see if I do that well...
USN 2000-2006
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks JP and Dan. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm My wife bought me this old trapper from and antique shop in Poulsbo Washington. (A beautiful town) It needs some attention and has a chip in the blade but it's special being from her. DSCN7230.JPGDSCN7231.JPGDSCN7232.JPGDSCN7233.JPG
Good wife, good life, better tell her she's right popular around here.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I will tell her that Iman. And thanks. ::handshake::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

doglegg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm My wife bought me this old trapper from and antique shop in Poulsbo Washington. (A beautiful town) It needs some attention and has a chip in the blade but it's special being from her. DSCN7230.JPGDSCN7231.JPGDSCN7232.JPGDSCN7233.JPG
::tu::
David

Return to “General Knife Discussion”