Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Railsplitter »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 pm Nice group, way to go RailS, that's a sweeeeeeet line up. Would love to know how the AAPK carry for a year was? Did it do all you needed it to do? Seems like two blades I could pretty much live with anytime. Like the wide clip profile. Nice lookers, thanks for the pics.
Oh yes, it was a fantastic knife. I never found myself needing a different knife. Wanting one maybe but not needing one. I always thought the Rust Red Jigged Bone AAPK model was the best #35 in the whole lineup. I can only imagine how much you must like yours.

I've got one #35 Churchill left and it isn't going anywhere.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 am Thanks, Smitty and TMK! I'm looking forward to testing out the carrier, and they'll take their place in the Wharncliffe thread soon. And Marc, Shephed Hills has the Micarta version listed as delivering this month.
Thanks for the link Dan, ::handshake:: I'll check it out! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks for the link Dan!
I don't believe I provided a link, so here goes:

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?Product ... 6&Patid=13
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks for the link Dan!
I don't believe I provided a link, so here goes:

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?Product ... 6&Patid=13
Thank you for the DIRECT link Dan. ::handshake:: I was just going to search "Shepard Hills Cutlery" and look for them there, but your link takes me right to the knife, so, THANKS! ::ds:: 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

You're welcome!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I received this one today. Another addition to my Camillus Pony Jack family. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. Approximate date of manufacture roughly from 1941-46. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked and broken. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.
Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Shame about the cracks, but even so, that's a looker. Are the covers bone or synthetic?
USN 2000-2006
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm I received this one today. Another addition to my Camillus Pony Jack family. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. Approximate date of manufacture roughly from 1941-46. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked and broken. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.

Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png
Beautiful older piece Smitty. Too bad the covers are cracked, but at least it'll give you the opportunity to replace them with something even nicer. 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:57 pm Shame about the cracks, but even so, that's a looker. Are the covers bone or synthetic?
I will probably have the handles replaced and made a good looking EDC out of it. Under my 45X lighted Magloop it appears to be bone especially with the veins& lines on the break end. Plus when I turn on the UV light on the loop, it does not have the glow that delrin or synthetics usually do.

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Beautiful older piece Smitty. Too bad the covers are cracked, but at least it'll give you the opportunity to replace them with something even nicer. 8)
Appreciate it Marc. Yep, I believe it will make a neat EDC with replacement of the handles. ::tu::

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 am Under my 45X lighted Magloop it appears to be bone especially with the veins& lines on the break end. Plus when I turn on the UV light on the loop, it does not have the glow that delrin or synthetics usually do.
Awesome. Now I know one trick to distinguish genuine bone from synthetic. Thanks for the education!
USN 2000-2006
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 am
Papa Bones wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 am Under my 45X lighted Magloop it appears to be bone especially with the veins& lines on the break end. Plus when I turn on the UV light on the loop, it does not have the glow that delrin or synthetics usually do.
Awesome. Now I know one trick to distinguish genuine bone from synthetic. Thanks for the education!
I had to look at mine again, it's actually a 60X adjustable, and has two white LED lights and 1 Uv light. If you experiment on different types of handles with the UV light, you will notice a pattern of how different materials glow. Plus bone will show the veins in them. Some of the old black composite materials which are composed of a rubber plastic composite hardly have any glow.

Here is a pic of the one like I have.
Kingmas Mini 60X Currency dt.jpg

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I have a light that may be UV. I'll check it, and if not, I'll invest in one. Thanks again for educating me!
USN 2000-2006
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Afternoon Everyone ,got a few goodies in the mail this week .
The Stanley came from member here ,excellent condition, fair price, fast shipping. It’ll go with my other 72 variations
Pure oil knife is for Father in law,he’s got a bunch of Pure oil stuff,including a running petroleum pump . Would like to find one in better shape,but he’ll be happy with this.
And The Rusty 4 line Camillus,took a little gamble on that off the bay . Took it down to shop and it cleaned up okay ! This Model was sent overseas to our Servicemen from Red Cross ,if memory is correct in that regard.
Hey Smitty, that little light is awesome for the few dollars they cost. Never thought about the different light techniques,going to check that out .
Till next time, take care ,stay safe
Attachments
C3003D4F-4CA8-4CE4-B2C7-EBBE85AE3D72.jpeg
65110D06-BACB-4B20-9595-D9404EEBC516.jpeg
C84320BF-183B-42D1-9136-7EC84D758C6C.jpeg
9164020B-2097-4CE8-98EF-A161FFF19B60.jpeg
JP
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm Afternoon Everyone ,got a few goodies in the mail this week .
The Stanley came from member here ,excellent condition, fair price, fast shipping. It’ll go with my other 72 variations
Pure oil knife is for Father in law,he’s got a bunch of Pure oil stuff,including a running petroleum pump . Would like to find one in better shape,but he’ll be happy with this.
And The Rusty 4 line Camillus,took a little gamble on that off the bay . Took it down to shop and it cleaned up okay ! This Model was sent overseas to our Servicemen from Red Cross ,if memory is correct in that regard.
Hey Smitty, that little light is awesome for the few dollars they cost. Never thought about the different light techniques,going to check that out .
Nice score J.P.! ::tu:: You are a very thoughtful son-in-law thinking of your f-i-l like that. The 4 line sure did clean-up nicely, looks super now. Enjoy your new finds! 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Ripster I love the last photo of the Hobo on the tray of knives. You have some ::tu:: :mrgreen: beauties and gems and eye candy.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Nice pick-ups, JP. I like the detailing on the nail nick of the Stanley's master blade.
USN 2000-2006
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A sweet threesome and great clean up. ::nod::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 pm A sweet threesome and great clean up. ::nod::
Thanks Floyd, if you haven’t read the Holley/ Camillus Xmas hobo thread yet ,great read ,just posted the 4 liner on that thread to bring it to life
Marco, Thanks,hope your enjoying your edged items as well !
I man ,Appreciate the kind words,you’ve got some photo skills and gems yourself
Dan in Mi. Those matchstrike long pulls are perfect on that main clip, believe Camillus did that on all there 72s ,and others as you may know .
Later folks ::tu::
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm Afternoon Everyone ,got a few goodies in the mail this week .
Good looking score there JP. Gotta love the Stanley SL6. ::tu:: I'm sure with your skills, the Pure Oil Promo will clean up nicely. Very nice looking background also. ::super_happy::

Smitty
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm I received this one today. Another addition to my Camillus Pony Jack family. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. Approximate date of manufacture roughly from 1941-46. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked and broken. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.

Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png
Great looking old knife, sorry the bone is cracked and broken, but with new handles that would rock it. Good score and hope you find a scale switcher. That one isn't done yet.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I had only one Hunter in my collection so I thought I'd give this Colonial a try. Jigged bone scales. 4" blade, 5" handle. No half stops. The hafting is a bit rough at the transitions to bolsters. Some of the pins are too high. This was not a labor of love.
P1040222 (2).JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm I had only one Hunter in my collection so I thought I'd give this Colonial a try. Jigged bone scales. 4" blade, 5" handle. No half stops. The hafting is a bit rough at the transitions to bolsters. Some of the pins are too high. This was not a labor of love.

P1040222 (2).JPG
Still a very good looker Garry. ::tu:: 8)
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 pm
Quick Steel wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm I had only one Hunter in my collection so I thought I'd give this Colonial a try. Jigged bone scales. 4" blade, 5" handle. No half stops. The hafting is a bit rough at the transitions to bolsters. Some of the pins are too high. This was not a labor of love.

P1040222 (2).JPG
Still a very good looker Garry. ::tu:: 8)
👍🍺👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Looks gorgeous in the pics QuickS, beautiful lines, swell center, blade grind. Mmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yes it was the pictures that caught me.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”