Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by tvic »

Nice Finch, Boji!

Love the wood on that Condor, Jerry!

GOOD-lookin’ Schrade, Jamie, and like that Abalone Parker!

That Lambsfoot is a purdy knife, David!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Still trying NOT to buy any knives for awhile...but sometimes (if the price is low enough) the temptation is simply irresistible. Such was the case with this knife from France that I pulled out of the Bay for $45. I had a Laguiole once and thought this one looked kind of similar. After doing a little research on French knives I came across this blog that I found quite interesting, especially the old photos of French cutlers making knives (there's one showing a Beagle--or possibly a Bloodhound--sitting on a guy's butt as he's prone on a grinding bench that I know jmh58 John would love if he was still active on AAPK). I highly recommend checking it out. (More photos in European made knives forum.)

https://knives-of-france-blog.com/tag/saint-martin/
Attachments
P9080012.JPG
~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful knife ~Q~! I have one very similar that I also got from ebay for a similar price, although my model doesn't have the 3 brass inlays on the covers, and, it's an Au Sabot as opposed to your Saint-Martin. I've had an account with www.knives-of-france.com for sometime and I'm extremely impressed with their prices, so much so that it seems to me it might be less expensive ordering from them direct and avoid an ebay fees and nonsense altogether, although I have yet to place an order with them. I got the Au Sabot 2-bolstered, ebony covers, sheepsfoot blade model along with an Au Sabot Italian style Vendetta folder with ebony and spear-point, both for just over US$100./delivered. That website has many many more vey nice knives to consider! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

By the way ~Q~, what happened to John? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:44 pm
TPK wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:18 pm Nice looking finds everyone! ::nod:: ::tu::

Really like that Finch! ::nod:: ::tu::
BTW, did you get your care package yet?
No I haven't. Could be a while till she gets around to sending it. They just bought a house. They are redoing floors ect. Could be months till I get another package. ::doh:: And I'm out of Pop-Tarts. ::teary_eyes::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:22 am Still trying NOT to buy any knives for awhile...but sometimes (if the price is low enough) the temptation is simply irresistible. Such was the case with this knife from France that I pulled out of the Bay for $45. I had a Laguiole once and thought this one looked kind of similar. After doing a little research on French knives I came across this blog that I found quite interesting, especially the old photos of French cutlers making knives (there's one showing a Beagle--or possibly a Bloodhound--sitting on a guy's butt as he's prone on a grinding bench that I know jmh58 John would love if he was still active on AAPK). I highly recommend checking it out. (More photos in European made knives forum.)

https://knives-of-france-blog.com/tag/saint-martin/
Cool link Q. ::nod:: Actually saw two pictures with dogs. There is another one further down with a small white dog on a guys legs. Anyways, nice looking knife. ::tu:: :D

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 am By the way ~Q~, what happened to John? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
That I can't tell you because I do not know. All I know is what everyone else already knows, i.e., on June 25th he started a thread mysteriously titled "Done..." and the only thing he posted was a single word: "Bye", and despite much concern and speculation as to why or what might have happened, he hasn't posted anything since. Very sad because he was a long-time, active member who was always very positive. I enjoyed our many exchanges and reading his posts and felt he was a friend. I miss him and I hope he's Ok, possibly just taking an extended break, and will eventually return to the forum. ::shrug::

Haven't seen any posts from Smitty/Papa Bones for a while, either :( but it's possible I'm just not following the same threads he's more active in. ::undecided::
~Q~
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:06 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 am By the way ~Q~, what happened to John? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
That I can't tell you because I do not know. All I know is what everyone else already knows, i.e., on June 25th he started a thread mysteriously titled "Done..." and the only thing he posted was a single word: "Bye", and despite much concern and speculation as to why or what might have happened, he hasn't posted anything since. Very sad because he was a long-time, active member who was always very positive. I enjoyed our many exchanges and reading his posts and felt he was a friend. I miss him and I hope he's Ok, possibly just taking an extended break, and will eventually return to the forum. ::shrug::

Haven't seen any posts from Smitty/Papa Bones for a while, either :( but it's possible I'm just not following the same threads he's more active in. ::undecided::
Dan in MI hasn't been around here much lately either. ::shrug:: Hope he & Smitty are fine. ::hmm::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:11 pm
Haven't seen any posts from Smitty/Papa Bones for a while, either :(
Nine posts on May 28, 2022 and then, Poof, nothing after that. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:11 pm
Dan in MI hasn't been around here much lately either. ::shrug:: ::hmm::
Dan's last post on Aug. 31st -- Form your own conclusions.

Good evening to all. I have been involuntarily disconnected from the grid for over 48 hours now. Power might be restored before midnight. Good thing I have plenty of fuel for the thirsty pig of a gasoline generator that's running some essential gear. At least the post-storm weather has been tolerabl...
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for your info ~Q~. It so happens I just read "Done" this morning and it gave me an idea of what's going on. It sure sounds like ruffled feathers to me and it was right around his birthday too.
I hope he can deal with whatever is troubling him and get back here, he is solely missed. I'm so self absorbed I didn't even notice Smitty or Dan missing, and Smitty was a regular here at "Mail Call". Dan sounds like a power failure, but 11 days so far? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:18 pm

Thanks for your info ~Q~. It so happens I just read "Done" this morning and it gave me an idea of what's going on. It sure sound like ruffled feathers to me and it was right around his birthday too.
I hope he can deal with whatever is troubling him and get back here, he is solely missed. I'm so self absorbed I didn't even notice Smitty or Dan missing, and Smitty was a regular here at "Mail Call". Dan sounds like a power failure, but 11 days so far? ::shrug:: 8)
::hmm:: geocash has also come up missing. I know he had some health issues so I really hope he is ok. ::pray::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Look what the Ponder Post Rider brought today... ::ds::
20220912_110228.jpg
_
Sorry, here is what I got in the mail today.
4 Queens and a Schrade Walden. (I'll raise another $100)
20220912_111837.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TPK wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks for your info ~Q~. It so happens I just read "Done" this morning and it gave me an idea of what's going on. It sure sound like ruffled feathers to me and it was right around his birthday too.
::hmm:: geocash has also come up missing. I know he had some health issues so I really hope he is ok. ::pray::
That's right Tom, I hadn't noticed geocash missing either. I did notice though that Garry(Quick Steel)hasn't been posting. We're droppin' like flies here guys, what's going on? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 pm
TPK wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:10 pm
That's right Tom, I hadn't noticed geocash missing either. I did notice though that Garry(Quick Steel)hasn't been posting. We're droppin' like flies here guys, what's going on? ::shrug:: 8)
We're getting older, sometimes we forget or just need a break. Me, I got nothing else that I really need to do between getting my son off to school and picking him up. He's 11 and I'm 66, long story but it is what it is.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I guess so Sam. ::shrug:: I just hope they're all alright and are just taking a break. ::pray:: 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:36 pm Look what the Ponder Post Rider brought today... ::ds::
20220912_110228.jpg
_
20220912_111837.jpg
Nice Queens! ::nod:: ::tu:: And what's that one with the Liberty Bell? Schrade? ::shrug::

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:36 pm Look what the Ponder Post Rider brought today... ::ds::

Nice haul, David. That Slim Trapper is sweet! 8) ::tu::
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for your info ~Q~. It so happens I just read "Done" this morning and it gave me an idea of what's going on. It sure sounds like ruffled feathers to me and it was right around his birthday too.

Man I hate to hear that, was wondering where I might find that post, couldn't find it on my own if you have the link I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance and sorry to hear the bad news.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:45 am Man I hate to hear that, was wondering where I might find that post, couldn't find it on my own if you have the link I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance and sorry to hear the bad news.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75546&hilit=done...
~Q~
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

TPK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:26 am
20220912_110228.jpg
_
20220912_111837.jpg
Nice Queens! ::nod:: ::tu:: And what's that one with the Liberty Bell? Schrade? ::shrug::
Yes Tom it's a Schrade Walden LB1 3.25 inches with a Liberty Bell shield and "Liberty" etched on the main blade.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:44 am

Nice haul, David. That Slim Trapper is sweet! 8) ::tu::
Thank you. ::tu::

TPK

Post by TPK »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:07 pm
TPK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:26 am
20220912_110228.jpg
_
20220912_111837.jpg
Yes Tom it's a Schrade Walden LB1 3.25 inches with a Liberty Bell shield and "Liberty" etched on the main blade.
That's a nice one, I like that one! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

20220912_110228.jpg
_
20220912_111837.jpg
Nice haul, some great lookers there, and thanks for sharing the pics with us, fun to see what's coming to others and being let in on the goodies. Vicarious living through others experiences is a treat.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:42 am
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:45 am Man I hate to hear that, was wondering where I might find that post, couldn't find it on my own if you have the link I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance and sorry to hear the bad news.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75546&hilit=done...

Thanks Q, appreciate it. Read it through and added 2 cents. Thanks again for the clue.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”