Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:14 pm Lion Steel Mini. I was hoping to get some satisfactory Olive Wood and I'm satisfied. I remove the pocket clips from all of my knives that have them and like always, that was the first thing I did.

It's a decent little knife but it lacks that exceptional "feel" that I've come to expect with the brand. I've owned maybe about 8 or 10 Lion Steel knives and I'd give all the others a 10. This one gets an 8 which is still very good. I might have a different perspective after I use it a few times.
It's sure a good lookin' knife Rick, sorry it's not up to par for what you were expecting. I too remove pocket-clips as soon as the knife arrives, and I see on this knife you didn't replace the screws, do you usually put them back in or not? I know sometimes they don't go in far enough and end-up sticking up above the body, and that way they'd catch on things, or, they just keep turning in the hole and never get tight and just fall out. I always keep the clips cuz ya just never know...! I hope the knife grows on you so you don't feel disappointed, nothin' worse than a knife you like not having that special "feel"! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm Looks cool RailS. Congrats. Good looking wood. I'm with you on the pocket clips. What made this an 8 instead of 10?

It was a long back burner search and wait for this one. Years. Finally scored an AAPK. No complaints, love the red bone and the double bladed single spring package. So slim. And the smooth action, no half stops, and hearty snap open and close is very nice. Liking the 35s more and more.
Great score Iman! ::tu:: Enjoy your new historic knife! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:40 pm Lots of great pick-ups, and the week is still young! Here are mine, both Rough Black Case CopperLocks. The one with its blade open is a carrier, and the other is a display piece.

20210412_161620.jpg

The usual unboxing video (I still need to figure out how to embed them!): https://youtu.be/K3DGhH6NDaw
Two beauties you have there Dan! ::tu:: Although I only own a couple, I'm a big fan of warnnie blades, and yours definitely scratches my itch! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Marc! This may well make your itch a little worse: CopperLocks with Wharnie blades can be also had with black Micarta, blue and black fiber weave, or harvest orange bone covers.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yep, you called it Dan, black Micarta has got me scratchn' all over! 8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 pm It's sure a good lookin' knife Rick, sorry it's not up to par for what you were expecting. I too remove pocket-clips as soon as the knife arrives, and I see on this knife you didn't replace the screws, do you usually put them back in or not? I know sometimes they don't go in far enough and end-up sticking up above the body, and that way they'd catch on things, or, they just keep turning in the hole and never get tight and just fall out. I always keep the clips cuz ya just never know...! I hope the knife grows on you so you don't feel disappointed, nothin' worse than a knife you like not having that special "feel"! 8)
Thanks for commenting Mark. It never occurred to me to put the screws back in. I have little zip lock baggies about 3 X 1.5 inches that I put each clip/ screw assembly inside with a note stating which knife they came from.

Now that I've considered it, I think the screws would bother me if I put them back on.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 pm It's sure a good lookin' knife Rick, sorry it's not up to par for what you were expecting. I too remove pocket-clips as soon as the knife arrives, and I see on this knife you didn't replace the screws, do you usually put them back in or not? I know sometimes they don't go in far enough and end-up sticking up above the body, and that way they'd catch on things, or, they just keep turning in the hole and never get tight and just fall out. I always keep the clips cuz ya just never know...! I hope the knife grows on you so you don't feel disappointed, nothin' worse than a knife you like not having that special "feel"! 8)
Thanks for commenting Mark. It never occurred to me to put the screws back in. I have little zip lock baggies about 3 X 1.5 inches that I put each clip/ screw assembly inside with a note stating which knife they came from.

Now that I've considered it, I think the screws would bother me if I put them back on.
Your method of cataloguing the clips and screws is definitely the way to go Rick. Because I didn't anticipate the clips would ever be re-installed I just threw all the parts into a "junk" tin, and thought if the time ever came to put the clips back on I'd just match things up, but after reading about how you do it I wish I'd done something similar, since doing it your way I'd have know exactly what went where. I've also had trouble finding the correct screwdriver for the clip screws, and in a couple of case I had to grind the screw's head right off and pry the clips off, leaving the hole plugged with the screw's shaft and flush with the cover. I definitely don't recommend doing this, because it's VERY hard to not scratch the cover. I solved this with a little touch-up paint, but I sure wish I'd know your system sooner. 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm
It was a long back burner search and wait for this one. Years. Finally scored an AAPK. No complaints, love the red bone .....
Very good looking knife I-Man. ::tu:: ::tu:: Congrats!

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:40 pm Lots of great pick-ups, and the week is still young! Here are mine, both Rough Black Case CopperLocks. The one with its blade open is a carrier, and the other is a display piece.
::tu:: ::tu:: Very NIce Dan. Gotta love the Wharncliffe blade!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 pm Iman, your AAPK knife is superlative. But you already knew that. ::handshake::
That's high praise QS, don't feel I deserve it, but hey, sounds good to me the way you put it. Appreciate it. Thanks again.

Thanks Pappa bones, always appreciate your comments as well. Big time. ::handshake::

Thanks Marco, historic to me, appreciate it. ::handshake::

Thanks RailSplit, hard for my small brain to imagine why you would sell one, but both of the them? Which pattern were they? If you mean 35s you're killing me, I wish I had known, would have paid you whatever you wanted. Love the 35s. ::handshake::

Thanks again all for the comments.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

20210412_161620.jpg

The usual unboxing video (I still need to figure out how to embed them!): https://youtu.be/K3DGhH6NDaw
Can't beat that as an EDC, Dan! ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Smitty and TMK! I'm looking forward to testing out the carrier, and they'll take their place in the Wharncliffe thread soon. And Marc, Shephed Hills has the Micarta version listed as delivering this month.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 am Thanks RailSplit, hard for my small brain to imagine why you would sell one, but both of the them? Which pattern were they? If you mean 35s you're killing me, I wish I had known, would have paid you whatever you wanted. Love the 35s. ::handshake::
Yeah, sometimes I get a little carried away with the "Buy, Sell, and Trade" thing. I enjoy it but I sometimes regret it.

I had all of these at one time plus 2 Maroon Micarta's that aren't in the picture. One of the AAPK knives was my daily carry for about a year.
Attachments
IMG_3717.JPG
Rick T.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am I had all of these at one time plus 2 Maroon Micarta's that aren't in the picture.
The one in the middle looks to be a dark green...very striking!
USN 2000-2006
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:12 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am I had all of these at one time plus 2 Maroon Micarta's that aren't in the picture.
The one in the middle looks to be a dark green...very striking!
That was called Hummingbird Acrylic. ::tu::
Rick T.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 am Thanks RailSplit, hard for my small brain to imagine why you would sell one, but both of the them? Which pattern were they? If you mean 35s you're killing me, I wish I had known, would have paid you whatever you wanted. Love the 35s. ::handshake::
Yeah, sometimes I get a little carried away with the "Buy, Sell, and Trade" thing. I enjoy it but I sometimes regret it.

I had all of these at one time plus 2 Maroon Micarta's that aren't in the picture. One of the AAPK knives was my daily carry for about a year.
Nice group, way to go RailS, that's a sweeeeeeet line up. Would love to know how the AAPK carry for a year was? Did it do all you needed it to do? Seems like two blades I could pretty much live with anytime. Like the wide clip profile. Nice lookers, thanks for the pics.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 pm Nice group, way to go RailS, that's a sweeeeeeet line up. Would love to know how the AAPK carry for a year was? Did it do all you needed it to do? Seems like two blades I could pretty much live with anytime. Like the wide clip profile. Nice lookers, thanks for the pics.
Oh yes, it was a fantastic knife. I never found myself needing a different knife. Wanting one maybe but not needing one. I always thought the Rust Red Jigged Bone AAPK model was the best #35 in the whole lineup. I can only imagine how much you must like yours.

I've got one #35 Churchill left and it isn't going anywhere.
Rick T.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 am Thanks, Smitty and TMK! I'm looking forward to testing out the carrier, and they'll take their place in the Wharncliffe thread soon. And Marc, Shephed Hills has the Micarta version listed as delivering this month.
Thanks for the link Dan, ::handshake:: I'll check it out! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks for the link Dan!
I don't believe I provided a link, so here goes:

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?Product ... 6&Patid=13
USN 2000-2006
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks for the link Dan!
I don't believe I provided a link, so here goes:

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?Product ... 6&Patid=13
Thank you for the DIRECT link Dan. ::handshake:: I was just going to search "Shepard Hills Cutlery" and look for them there, but your link takes me right to the knife, so, THANKS! ::ds:: 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

You're welcome!
USN 2000-2006
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I received this one today. Another addition to my Camillus Pony Jack family. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. Approximate date of manufacture roughly from 1941-46. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked and broken. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.
Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Shame about the cracks, but even so, that's a looker. Are the covers bone or synthetic?
USN 2000-2006
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm I received this one today. Another addition to my Camillus Pony Jack family. It is a Camillus Sword Brand Pattern 21 Pony Jack. Approximate date of manufacture roughly from 1941-46. It is 2-13/16" closed with bone handles. Unfortunately the handles are cracked and broken. The blades have no wobble with good snap, and positive half stops. It has the Sword Brand Crossed Swords tang stamp on the mark side of the Clip Blade and has The Four Line Camillus tang stamp on the pile side. I've not decided what I want to do with it, but may have the handles replaced and make a great old EDC Pony Jack. It needed some cleaning. Here are the pictures of it.

Cam Sword Brand 21_a.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_b.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_c.png
Cam Sword Brand 21_d.png
Beautiful older piece Smitty. Too bad the covers are cracked, but at least it'll give you the opportunity to replace them with something even nicer. 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:57 pm Shame about the cracks, but even so, that's a looker. Are the covers bone or synthetic?
I will probably have the handles replaced and made a good looking EDC out of it. Under my 45X lighted Magloop it appears to be bone especially with the veins& lines on the break end. Plus when I turn on the UV light on the loop, it does not have the glow that delrin or synthetics usually do.

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Beautiful older piece Smitty. Too bad the covers are cracked, but at least it'll give you the opportunity to replace them with something even nicer. 8)
Appreciate it Marc. Yep, I believe it will make a neat EDC with replacement of the handles. ::tu::

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 am Under my 45X lighted Magloop it appears to be bone especially with the veins& lines on the break end. Plus when I turn on the UV light on the loop, it does not have the glow that delrin or synthetics usually do.
Awesome. Now I know one trick to distinguish genuine bone from synthetic. Thanks for the education!
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Knife Discussion”