KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by toomanyknives »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:07 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 pm Saved this one from the trash can. It's a little Frontier that had the tip broken off the main blade, and someone had used it as a pry bar, which loosed up the spey and the main blades. It had those lovely Swinden key pins, so I drilled those out, and put in some new pivot pins, as well as reshaping the tip of the main blade. now I have me a nice little EDC for free. Well, there was that labor involved, but we won't count that.. :wink: And yes, that's the worlds largest sunflower! IMG_1779 (3).JPG
Great save!!! ::handshake:: I have a Frontier stockman that has the tip broken off the main blade, just like yours... and I am hoping to "restore" it just like you did. ::hmm::
Thanks Top Dog. It turned out to be a pretty nice little knife...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:47 pm The SAK is a Wenger with a serrated blade.... ::paranoid:: and I have never seen ::paranoid:: one like that on a small SAK before.
Neither have I. I'll have to look that one up.
toomanyknives wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 pm Saved this one from the trash can.
I would have, too. Looks pretty good after its refurbishment!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:58 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:47 pm The SAK is a Wenger with a serrated blade.... ::paranoid:: and I have never seen ::paranoid:: one like that on a small SAK before.
toomanyknives wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 pm Saved this one from the trash can.
I was going to take a photo of the blade.... but didn't want too many pictures in the posting... ::facepalm:: ::dang::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Mess1ah1

Post by Mess1ah1 »

I inherited this when my Grandfather passed away a few years ago. I emailed photos to KA-BAR and they said it’s from the late 20s to early 30s which puts it probably as originally owned by my Great Grandfather. It’s pretty rough but holds obvious sentimental value.
Attachments
215D1924-9EF1-4826-8F2F-4FD349F58528.jpeg
CE8936A9-6412-4376-80AF-643B5C3A839A.jpeg
C421424C-7B2B-49E6-A3CE-E2108BCE683E.jpeg
Mess1ah1

Post by Mess1ah1 »

I believe this was made by Camillus, marked Kent N.Y. City USA on the tang. This is a cool little fish knife.
Attachments
5166004A-63D9-4089-BEFC-FE8C55D32F76.jpeg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:58 am
It was worth saving for sure Dan. Thanks!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Mess1ah1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 pm I inherited this when my Grandfather passed away a few years ago. I emailed photos to KA-BAR and they said it’s from the late 20s to early 30s which puts it probably as originally owned by my Great Grandfather. It’s pretty rough but holds obvious sentimental value.
That's a great keepsake you have there, Mess1ah1 ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:04 am A Schatt & Morgan, Camillus model 20 Gerber fixed blade and a S.A.K.

Nice group!

You mention the little Wenger has a serrated blade. Does the blade lock with the lock release being the nail file?

If so, it's a Viceroy. If not, just a serrated Esquire. Both are pretty uncommon.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Esquire
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:33 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:04 am A Schatt & Morgan, Camillus model 20 Gerber fixed blade and a S.A.K.
You mention the little Wenger has a serrated blade. Does the blade lock with the lock release being the nail file?

If so, it's a Viceroy. If not, just a serrated Esquire. Both are pretty uncommon.
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Esquire
I have not had it lock in place but I will check that out closer. thanks! ::handshake::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

From Germany...with love... It needs a clean up and a sharpening ::hmm:: ... but the main blade is SUPER tight ::groove:: and the other 2 as well ::nod::
Attachments
DSCF4415.JPG
DSCF4416.JPG
DSCF4417.JPG
DSCF4418.JPG

tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Nice Jim Bowie! For me, I’ve had a “negative” find of the day. Went to an estate sale 45 minutes away that had some knives. Took me about 30 seconds to look at the prices, and I turned around and drove 45 minutes home.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

tvic wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:02 pm Nice Jim Bowie! For me, I’ve had a “negative” find of the day. Went to an estate sale 45 minutes away that had some knives. Took me about 30 seconds to look at the prices, and I turned around and drove 45 minutes home.
Ouch! ::doh:: ::dang:: Yeah... Every time I got to a sale like that now, everyone has a smart phone and wants the Flea-bay max-price... :x

Mess1ah1

Post by Mess1ah1 »

This is a true find. I literally found this in the road on my way home from the dump. A Camillus #11 American Wildlife series. It was in the case and had been run over a few times, bending the knife badly and pretty much destroyed the leather case. I disassembled the knife, straightened everything, made new pins on my lathe and reassembled. I ditched the scales as they were pretty badly damaged. I ended up using some 170 year old Cherry off cuts from one of my woodworking projects. Epoxied, shaped, smoothed and oiled then sealed with beeswax. I’m pretty pleased with the way this find turned out.
Attachments
6FBDB3C7-47BA-4D69-8F10-75866F94EB36.jpeg
9834A2E5-F269-428D-B0EC-200FFE7232E1.jpeg
B91C1847-0A2E-41D5-A249-3105C3272E55.jpeg
4770D7C8-CB60-4A88-8F44-2A0280B5D9B4.jpeg
D0001041-BEBB-43F7-95C8-7C13FDC67ABA.jpeg
3FABA8D7-2CC6-4C1A-8976-41C9EE83273D.jpeg
B57C2EDE-4A93-434A-82F5-02D23B0C948E.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great save!! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Truly a great find and an outstanding job of refurbishing it.... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You may be new to AAPK but you sure as the dickens are not new to knives. Great job.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:32 am From Germany...with love... It needs a clean up and a sharpening ::hmm:: ... but the main blade is SUPER tight ::groove:: and the other 2 as well ::nod::
Very Nice. ::tu::

Mess1ah1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:31 pm This is a true find. I literally found this in the road on my way home from the dump. A Camillus #11 American Wilderness series. It was in the case and had been run over a few times, bending the knife badly and pretty much destroyed the leather case. I disassembled the knife, straightened everything, made new pins on my lathe and reassembled. I ditched the scales as they were pretty badly damaged. I ended up using some 170 year old Cherry off cuts from one of my woodworking projects. Epoxied, shaped, smoothed and oiled then sealed with beeswax. I’m pretty pleased with the way this find turned out.
Great job. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Mess1ah1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:31 pm This is a true find. I literally found this in the road on my way home from the dump. A Camillus #11 American Wilderness series. It was in the case and had been run over a few times, bending the knife badly and pretty much destroyed the leather case. I disassembled the knife, straightened everything, made new pins on my lathe and reassembled. I ditched the scales as they were pretty badly damaged. I ended up using some 170 year old Cherry off cuts from one of my woodworking projects. Epoxied, shaped, smoothed and oiled then sealed with beeswax. I’m pretty pleased with the way this find turned out.
Fantastic work! Great find and save! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Mess1ah1

Post by Mess1ah1 »

Here is a Case XX ten dot. This was my Grandfathers knife, given to me a few years ago. The blade shows marks from a bad grind. I’m assuming he tried sharpening it on his grinder. I sent this knife back to Case for cleaning and to see if they could put an edge on the blade as the cutting edge was badly damaged. They did a good job for what they had to work with. The snap on this knife is insane.

Not sure of the model. The stamp on the back of the tang is 31SAB.
Attachments
B5B568F4-FFB8-4B88-A551-E80956A910EC.jpeg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Mess1ah1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:07 pm Here is a Case XX ten dot. This was my Grandfathers knife, given to me a few years ago. The blade shows marks from a bad grind. I’m assuming he tried sharpening it on his grinder. I sent this knife back to Case for cleaning and to see if they could put an edge on the blade as the cutting edge was badly damaged. They did a good job for what they had to work with. The snap on this knife is insane.

Beautiful old knife, Mess1ah1. that looks like a 2231-1/2 SAB. That stands for saber ground blades..
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Mess1ah1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:07 pm Here is a Case XX ten dot. This was my Grandfathers knife, given to me a few years ago. The blade shows marks from a bad grind. I’m assuming he tried sharpening it on his grinder. I sent this knife back to Case for cleaning and to see if they could put an edge on the blade as the cutting edge was badly damaged. They did a good job for what they had to work with. The snap on this knife is insane.

A very nice Swell end Jack. As stated by toomanyknives a 2231-1/2SAB. That is great to have one from your Grandfather!! ::tu::

Smitty
BatJak 2.FREAKIN oh

Post by BatJak 2.FREAKIN oh »

At my daughter's tennis match in Levelland today.
Noticed we were about 20 miles from Lubbock Antique Mall.
Went there at lunch and scored these.
SW 881 bone
Schrade scrimshaw
Belknap Blue Grass BG1 commemorative
Schrade 863
Case 4" birdseye
20210828_170946.jpg
Níl ach braon beag fola ort
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely!!! ::tu::
BatJak 2.FREAKIN oh wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:33 pm At my daughter's tennis match in Levelland today.
SW 881 bone
Schrade scrimshaw
Schrade 863
Case 4" birdseye
20210828_170946.jpg
What a haul. That little 863 especially catches my eye. ::nod:: ::nod::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

BatJak 2.FREAKIN oh wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:33 pm At my daughter's tennis match in Levelland today.
SW 881 bone
Schrade scrimshaw
Schrade 863
Case 4" birdseye

20210828_170946.jpg
Great Catch!! ::tu:: ::tu:: Like Floyd said, especially the 863!!

Smitty
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Sooooooooooooooooo cool you have a knife from your grandfather!!
Case did a knice job!!

Missed these last week.....
Attachments
IMG_1750.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “General Knife Discussion”