KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jmh58

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by jmh58 »

Nice haul tf !!! I like the Scout knife!!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Some great finds. And Ann, great anticipation. ::nod:: ::nod::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Finds from my last gun show. The Stag premium stockman is a Sta Sharp SR&CO (Sears Roebuck and Co.) No. 7066 with full blades and awesome stag made in the 1930's. The celluloid AGOUTI is a French ratchet lock which I know nothing about except it's pattern name I can't pronounce and was only $20. The Case XX USA was in a $3 pile and in pretty nice condition with some blade loss but otherwise good, and the buckle I just thought was cool. ____Dave
Attachments
DSC00817.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

djknife13 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 pm The celluloid AGOUTI is a French ratchet lock which I know nothing about except it's pattern name I can't pronounce and was only $20. ____Dave
Dave are you sure that's celluloid? That looks very much like an Okapi. Originally made in Germany for the South African trade and now made in South Africa. "Okapi knives in Africa are made of resin impregnated wood (usually cherry) and the blades are made of 1055 carbon steel."

These are mine.
Attachments
DSC02854.JPG
DSC09589.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:26 pm
djknife13 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 pm The celluloid AGOUTI is a French ratchet lock which I know nothing about except it's pattern name I can't pronounce and was only $20. ____Dave
Dave are you sure that's celluloid? That looks very much like an Okapi. Originally made in Germany for the South African trade and now made in South Africa. "Okapi knives in Africa are made of resin impregnated wood (usually cherry) and the blades are made of 1055 carbon steel."

These are mine.
The material is transparent like the old combs and hair brushes and it says "Made in France". According to my computer searches, it is France's second most identifiable knife style after Opinels.____Dave
Attachments
DSC00818.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice haul Dave!!

Buying by the pound and othjers!!
Attachments
IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

WOW Scott what a haul. ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I knew it, I knew it. When Scott said he was going out this morning I knew what he was going to come back with. Way to go buddy! ::tu:: ::clapping::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

17 lbs of knives!!! You may have to borrow Santa's sack to get those home. That 2nd bunch looks good too. ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I have got to go to Florida, because I'm not making any hauls like that here in North Texas!!

TPK

Post by TPK »

djknife13 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 pm Finds from my last gun show. The Stag premium stockman is a Sta Sharp SR&CO (Sears Roebuck and Co.) No. 7066 with full blades and awesome stag made in the 1930's. The celluloid AGOUTI is a French ratchet lock which I know nothing about except it's pattern name I can't pronounce and was only $20. The Case XX USA was in a $3 pile and in pretty nice condition with some blade loss but otherwise good, and the buckle I just thought was cool. ____Dave
Very nice finds! ::tu:: The SR&CO is a real beauty! And that little Case is cool as well. Congrats! ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Good deal Scott! I see there were some really nice knives in that pile! It's like Christmas a week early! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I'm sure you could do better. :D
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

keep in mind that 17lb pile.......none of us would use....or collect
SCOTT

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I caught these three in an out-of-town Antique store.
I have been wanting a Ranger and a Richards for a while, but they often go for more than I am willing to pay. Today I got these for $5 each, and the broken Old Timer for $2.50
Thanks to some of you posting "a good place to get shields", I have quite a few Schrade blades, so I am going to have fun with it, if I can ever get time in the shop.
I may or may not remove the fish blade on the Richards, I haven't decided yet.
Attachments
5B8D6357-CA27-4AE2-84EA-E33E59A3ED11.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

TripleF wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 pm keep in mind that 17lb pile.......none of us would use....or collect
I don't know Scott. In your last pic I see several that I might clean up and put in my old collection.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

djknife13 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 pm Finds from my last gun show. The Stag premium stockman is a Sta Sharp SR&CO (Sears Roebuck and Co.) No. 7066 with full blades and awesome stag made in the 1930's. The celluloid AGOUTI is a French ratchet lock which I know nothing about except it's pattern name I can't pronounce and was only $20. The Case XX USA was in a $3 pile and in pretty nice condition with some blade loss but otherwise good, and the buckle I just thought was cool. ____Dave
Cool knives Dave and a very slick buckle. Great buys. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 pm
TripleF wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 pm keep in mind that 17lb pile.......none of us would use....or collect
I don't know Scott. In your last pic I see several that I might clean up and put in my old collection.
Yes, the last pic could be collectibles and ARE NOT included in the 17 lbs of crap knives!!! They were purchased separately!
SCOTT

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Reverand wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:13 pm I caught these three in an out-of-town Antique store.
I have been wanting a Ranger and a Richards for a while, but they often go for more than I am willing to pay. Today I got these for $5 each, and the broken Old Timer for $2.50
Thanks to some of you posting "a good place to get shields", I have quite a few Schrade blades, so I am going to have fun with it, if I can ever get time in the shop.
I have two Richards, and like them quite a lot. I actually use and carry a Camper pattern quite regularly. I don't like that it has a tiny fish scaler instead of an awl.

Good luck on the Old TImer! I found both Son of a Gun and Buzzsaw Trapper saw blades for near-nothing, and am thinking, for sure, about building a Son of a Gun using a standard Schrade Folding Hunter, since it is quite rare. Unfortunately, I have never taken a knife apart, so it's gonna be a learning curve. So, I guess multiple 25OTs and multiple saw blades, in the eventuality I mess up.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Wow Scott, that third picture is full of nice stuff. Good work. I'll watch your store in case any of them end up there. ____Dave
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:59 am
Reverand wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:13 pm I caught these three in an out-of-town Antique store.
I have two Richards, and like them quite a lot. I actually use and carry a Camper pattern quite regularly. I don't like that it has a tiny fish scaler instead of an awl.

Good luck on the Old TImer! I found both Son of a Gun and Buzzsaw Trapper saw blades for near-nothing, and am thinking, for sure, about building a Son of a Gun using a standard Schrade Folding Hunter, since it is quite rare. Unfortunately, I have never taken a knife apart, so it's gonna be a learning curve. So, I guess multiple 25OTs and multiple saw blades, in the eventuality I mess up.
I have done a couple of the Schrade knives, and they are easier to take apart than you think. Do a Search here for "Swinden key" and you will find a wealth of information.
Especially helpful to me was this video by Muskrat Man:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X44CxU2wtOk
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I arrived home to find that the Postman had delivered a knife that I had fished out of the 'bay. It is a small Sabre stockman. It was cheap and I bought it on a whim.
I opened the package and, lo and behold, it is a Sabre USA!
88FB7AA1-89DD-46BD-90AF-4F51BCCAF6AC.jpeg
AA8EDF32-A86A-4C34-BF8D-7925E5C852F3.jpeg
I hadn't realized until today that any were made in the US!
While the finish of the handles, bolsters, and blades are all different from the Ranger that I bought today, there are enough similarities that I believe it might have been manufactured by Colonial. It has a separate spring for each blade, with tall steel liners between each blade. Also, the main clip looks a LOT like some on a couple of Colonial peanuts that I own. It is narrow, almost (but not quite) a Turkish clip.
Y'all let me know if I am on the right track with this, or not.
(EDIT - I found an old thread on these. They were made by Colonial. Bonfire Bob even gave the model numbers for it in 2012)
6F258624-CC3C-4D51-BA78-4B1A06F5B479.jpeg
582ACC19-6970-4FA3-B1BC-06949746065E.jpeg
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I was never attracted to the el cheapo Mora knives until I handled one, but then I understood. Good stuff! Well, I had never handled an Opinel either and don't even know (yet) how the locking collar works. But I spotted this set for sale for what I thought was a very attractive price and now it is hopefully in the mail. So, my education proceeds. Hopefully the package survives the December craziness.
Opinels1.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:52 am I was never attracted to the el cheapo Mora knives until I handled one, but then I understood. Good stuff! Well, I had never handled an Opinel either and don't even know (yet) how the locking collar works. But I spotted this set for sale for what I thought was a very attractive price and now it is hopefully in the mail. So, my education proceeds. Hopefully the package survives the December craziness.
I like Opinels, and give them to friends and family as gifts, especially the trout engraved ones. Fine knife for the price point.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cal, Re: the Opies, it's a ring collar & you twist it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”