KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by dlr110 »

Didn't think I was going knife hunting today, but we had to go into town for a couple of things and there just happen to be a store that I had not been in yet. And what do you know two more for knives for the pile.

The top one is a single blade bockback by Lockwood Brothers Sheffield, England. Carbon blade, bone handle, nickel/silver bolsters and steel pins.
The bottom is a two blade Stainless Steel folding knife. Unknown metal handle, it is not magnetic, so I'm not sure. The figures on the handle are impressed. It's a beautiful knife.
Lockwood Brothers Sheffield
Lockwood Brothers Sheffield
Unknown
Unknown
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

David, you are doing well with finding knives. Excellent. Thanks for all the pic's and of the knives as well. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

doglegg wrote:David, you are doing well with finding knives. Excellent. Thanks for all the pic's and of the knives as well. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
You want to meet me at DFW Airport and help me haul them to the car? I had to buy an extra suitcase to bring back all that my wife and I have purchased. I still have 5 more shopping days, wait a minute so does my wife! ::facepalm::

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

David that Lockwood is stunning. Nice work. ____Dave
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The eagle knife certainly is a beauty!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

David, That lockback is NICE!!

Harold
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I wasn't going to look for any knives today, just wildlife, but the others keep taking me to places that had knives. All of those knives have great "walk & talk" especially the Camillus military knife. All the blades are in perfect condition and there is no evidence of rust anywhere, which is strange in this climate. I also picked up another bone and stone knife with an antler stand. I'm a hat guy also, so I've picked up some hats and of all things a rattlesnake hatband at an estate sale we came across. As much as I screamed like a girl about the snakes on the Outdoorsman Thread a snake hatband doesn't bother me.
IMG_20190920_211420.jpg
IMG_20190920_211324.jpg

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

dlr110 wrote: I'm a hat guy also, so I've picked up some hats and of all things a rattlesnake hatband at an estate sale we came across. As much as I screamed like a girl about the snakes on the Outdoorsman Thread a snake hatband doesn't bother me.

IMG_20190920_211420.jpgIMG_20190920_211324.jpg
I’ll just comment here that I worked with dozens of snakes and handled them quite happily. I also used to eat my lunch beside a tank that held a six foot Eastern Diamondback named Jelly Roll.
Just sayin’... :wink:
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

zoogirl wrote:
dlr110 wrote: I'm a hat guy also, so I've picked up some hats and of all things a rattlesnake hatband at an estate sale we came across. As much as I screamed like a girl about the snakes on the Outdoorsman Thread a snake hatband doesn't bother me.

IMG_20190920_211420.jpgIMG_20190920_211324.jpg
I’ll just comment here that I worked with dozens of snakes and handled them quite happily. I also used to eat my lunch beside a tank that held a six foot Eastern Diamondback named Jelly Roll.
Just sayin’... :wink:
Ann, you've got way more moxie than I do, my hatband is off to you. ::tu::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ann I am just going to assume that as you had your lunch that serpent didn't make any suggestions about a nice piece of fruit hanging on a nearby tree.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

That could explain my ex boyfriend... ::paranoid::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice haul of knives and hats David - I hope your money lasts as long as your trip does! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
muskratt

Post by muskratt »

:D A few picks from the weekend
20190923_133151.jpg
20190923_133000.jpg
20190923_133049.jpg
Any information would be appreciated. Like to get the Remington rehandled....(any suggestion for who and what material) thanks for looking and any information.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Must have been Remington weekend. I got two. One is 1933-35 and I think the other is two. Nice old bones.
I picked up a pair of folding scissors for their pearl handles and discovered that they were a souvineer of the RMS Adriatic, one of the Big Four liners. She took Titanic passengers back to England. Sadly, she was scrapped in ‘36.
The last knife turned out to be quite a find.
For some reason, it wouldn’t leave my hand. I picked through the bin and got out the Remingtons and scissors, and never let go of this little wooden scaled one. It just wouldn’t leave!
When I got home, I found out why. It’s a Curtian&Clarke, 1898-1909! ::ds::
She’s probably my oldest knife. I’m in love!
08D38D52-82D4-4993-A9C9-5EB52AE41498.jpeg
700FD637-1935-446A-8DBC-196957F306D2.jpeg
F3C7319B-C911-442E-B7B5-576BD6E9C3E5.jpeg
886F142B-B526-4046-B237-23E31FF9368E.jpeg
4BC46DAC-11D4-44A0-ACA3-3EE43F0DD11E.jpeg
5AE7C91F-59FF-477C-BFF6-3F7AD5E32B70.jpeg
muskratt

Post by muskratt »

::tu:: ::tu::
zoogirl wrote:Must have been Remington weekend. I got two. One is 1933-35 and I think the other is two. Nice old bones.
I picked up a pair of folding scissors for their pearl handles and discovered that they were a souvineer of the RMS Adriatic, one of the Big Four liners. She took Titanic passengers back to England. Sadly, she was scrapped in ‘36.
The last knife turned out to be quite a find.
For some reason, it wouldn’t leave my hand. I picked through the bin and got out the Remingtons and scissors, and never let go of this little wooden scaled one. It just wouldn’t leave!
When I got home, I found out why. It’s a Curtian&Clarke, 1898-1909! ::ds::
She’s probably my oldest knife. I’m in love!
08D38D52-82D4-4993-A9C9-5EB52AE41498.jpeg700FD637-1935-446A-8DBC-196957F306D2.jpegF3C7319B-C911-442E-B7B5-576BD6E9C3E5.jpeg886F142B-B526-4046-B237-23E31FF9368E.jpeg4BC46DAC-11D4-44A0-ACA3-3EE43F0DD11E.jpeg5AE7C91F-59FF-477C-BFF6-3F7AD5E32B70.jpeg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

muskratt, that Remmy is begging for some extra-dark ebony ... ::tu::

Ann, super-duper scores !!!
::ds::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Muskrat you are finding some good ones! ::tu::

Ann, you got knife magnetism in those hands! Bones and ebony, what musician couldn't do something with that? Great find on the C&C. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

An unusual all metal EZ opener with nickle scales, stainless blade and carbon steel spring and shackle. I'd saty this combo puts it between 1918 and 1945.An unusual makers stamp as well.
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Gotta agree with Chris on that old Remington...Ebony all the way.

Ann, what an awesome haul! Some nice looking bone handles there but that Curtin & Clark doctors knife and those scissors from an historic old liner...what a couple of great pieces of history to be able to hold in your hand!
Ike
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Thank, fellas! Yes, “All of history here in my hand...” Sounds like a poem. Oh wait... :wink: :mrgreen:
I’m very happy with my little pile.
So, today I went digging through my old trunk. It’s full of costume bits, for our Alice Cooper tribute act and Halloween - often the same thing!
Anyway, what should come popping out but my long lost one and only Barlow! It’s a Pakistan Special, an Olympia, but what the heck. It’s really solid and sharp. I’ve had it for probably twenty years. I thought it was in the camping gear but I guess I threw it in the show bag for cutting tape etc.
Here it is!
image.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

zoogirl wrote:Thank, fellas! Yes, “All of history here in my hand...” Sounds like a poem. Oh wait... :wink: :mrgreen:
I’m very happy with my little pile.
So, today I went digging through my old trunk. It’s full of costume bits, for our Alice Cooper tribute act and Halloween - often the same thing!
Anyway, what should come popping out but my long lost one and only Barlow! It’s a Pakistan Special, an Olympia, but what the heck. It’s really solid and sharp. I’ve had it for probably twenty years. I thought it was in the camping gear but I guess I threw it in the show bag for cutting tape etc.
Here it is! image.jpg
I have a Pakistan made Barlow also, and it is one of the most rugged EDC knives I've ever owned.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

These are the last knives I bought at an auction house/antique store in Anchorage just before my brother dropped off at the airport. The top one is a whale bone knife 6 1/2 in. long and the petrified wood it's on we picked up from a thrift shop of all places. The little fishing boat is a 3D puzzle and I won't tell you how long it took me to figure that darn thing out.

The other four knives I picked after looking through 6 boxes of old knives. There must have been a hundred of them in those boxes. After I get rid of some rust on the 2 oldest ones I may need some help in identifying them. Left: A Boy Scout Whittler; Right: A Camillus 2 blade wood handle pen knife; Top: A wooden handle Pruning knife, but I can't see any markings until I clean it up some; Bottom: Wooden handle, 1 blade and corkscrew knife. One blade has been broken off, not sure what type of blade it may have been. Same as the other, I need to clean some rust first.

So that's the end of my "Great Alaskan Knife Hunt."
Whale bone knife displayed on petrified wood
Whale bone knife displayed on petrified wood
IMG_20190925_110819.jpg

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I didn't get to my knife club this month and headed out to Michigan instead to work. On the way I picked up two newer knives, which I usually don't get too excited about, especially modern Schrades, but this one was pretty sweet (and cheap) and the other,(a modern Ontario Rat 3 collector series, serial no. #482) I just liked and it too was cheap and made in USA and real sheep horn. I sure wish they were old.____Dave
Attachments
Michigan 2019 002.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Ann, you really upped your game with that last batch. really nice work, and a doctor's knife to boot. Those don't show up very often. ____Dave
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Picked these two this morning. First the Case Consumer Event held at Union Grove General Store. Barlow
AC2EAF57-1230-4FB7-A431-47CDD8D02197.jpeg
And second a Tribal Lock. This completes the family for now, unless another pattern is produced.
1C182B25-BF35-4D8C-B2B3-E8DBCDECCB7A.jpeg
“Everyday is a good day. Some days are more comfortable than others.”- My Dad.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”