She bit me! ~ share your little 'mishaps' ...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
On Edge

She bit me! ~ share your little 'mishaps' ...

Post by On Edge »

Working with my GEC #53 "Improved Muskrat" (secondary blade is a wharnie) …

Cut open a blister pack with the wharnie blade - when closing the knife, I took my attention off it at the last moment and the tip of the blade "nipped" my index finger as it snapped closed, (if you can call the force brought by a that big backspring a 'nip') …

She bit me! … :shock:

Bit me pretty good too … :(
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
tjmurphy

Re: She bit me! ~ share your little 'mishaps' ...

Post by tjmurphy »

Just tonight. Bought my daughters Kershaw Leeks for Xmas and my oldest desided she wanted a PINK one. Got it for her and I took the stainless. Was playing with it and it bit my thumb, right in the middle of the pad. :oops: The very tip of the blade got me. ::dang:: Not bad but it's kinda tender right now :cry:

By the way. The PINK one I got her is labeled Ken Onion while the stainless is just labeled Kershaw. There is a difference in the two. The Ken Onion is much smoother to operate and opens easier. Wouldn't have thought there would be much of a difference ::shrug:: since they're both about the same knife.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
bullitt4001

Post by bullitt4001 »

I don't think anybody wants to respond to this one and jinx themselves..."dang-it---OUCH!!!" ::dang::
A fresh Band Aid is mans best friend
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Mishaps??? Lord, there's been so many over the years. But one particular knife stands out in my memory.

I was 18 years old and attending my first gun and knife show. I picked up a used, brass handled butterfly knife. It had a full edge on one side, and an edge halfway down the other. Later, I came across a booth with a guy sharpening knives so I figured the new knife could use a touch up. The fella was wise enough to ask me how sharp I wanted it, but I was not wise enough to know better, and told him I wanted to be able to shave with it. Again, the guy had the wisdom to advise me that it was not a smart move,,,,, but at 18 I knew everything and assured him I could handle it.

Needless to say, I was covered in bandaids by the end of the day. But,,,,,,,,,, I gained a little wisdom out of the deal. ::dang::
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I've been bittin sooo many times by my knives that you can't scar a scar anymore. :mrgreen:
Love all Jacks
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

singin46 wrote:I've been bittin sooo many times by my knives that you can't scar a scar anymore. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: John
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
big monk

Post by big monk »

I seem to get "'Bit"" more often,trying to photograph,the knives ( to post pictures on here ) than,when I'm actually using the knives ::dang:: ::shrug::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Most recent :roll: ... Had my 70's Sod Buster Jr. out fiddling with it. I was cutting something and forgot how sharp the ol' buster was ::dang:: Cut through whatever I was cutting and caught the fleshy part on my right thumb by the nail. Cut through pretty deep and also put a notch in the nail ::paranoid:: All I could do was chuckle as the blood flowed and and I gripped my thumb and hoped my wife didn't see it! She did !! ::dang:: TD.....
A sharp knife is a friend indeed!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

big monk wrote:I seem to get "'Bit"" more often,trying to photograph,the knives ( to post pictures on here ) than,when I'm actually using the knives ::dang:: ::shrug::
I'll second that one.I do most of my photographic work in the guest bathroom(nice white Corian counter tops and plenty of light).I have a sheet of paper marked off in 1" squares that I use for a back drop.

When posing the knives to be shot,I usually open them all the way I want and unfailingly when I go to set them down one(or more)will slip out of my hand.Therein lies the dilemma:Do I try and grab them and possibly keep a mint pearl handled knife from shattering or do I let them go?I usually elect to do the former and wind up grabbing a blade edge;usually the sharpest one available.I have a nice one healing now on the side of my left index finger(I'm left-handed)which not only inhibits my painting but opening my EDC(a Leatherman with Blade Launch)as well.

My first serious(bone showing)cut occurred when I was 8 years old and playing with my grandfather's knife that was definitely off-limits.The only reason I didn't get an a** whipping is he felt sorry for me and figured I had suffered enough.Treatment consisted of washing it under cold water(always a treat!)and wrapping it with gauze and tape.Emergency rooms in those days(if there were any)were for missing limbs and the like.

Some years later while working on a model car I managed to stab myself with an E-Xacto knife through my thumb to the extent that it poked a hole(from the back side)in my thumb nail.A lesson learned:When cutting with an E-Xacto knife DO NOT hold the part in your hands!

Another time I was taking off my belt which held a Bowen double edged knife and it fell out of the belt.I grabbed at it thinking that I really didn't want it sticking out of my foot and naturally I caught it with the point in my palm.That took FOREVER to heal!

I could go on but it would be(pun here)POINTless!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Wilder

Post by Wilder »

As often as you guys are cuttin' and stabbin' yourselves with your knives may I suggest that you never use your knife to repair a stuck zipper on your fly while you're wearin' your britches.

Wilder
singin46

Post by singin46 »

OUCH!
Love all Jacks
Cutmyself

Post by Cutmyself »

I have cut myself so many times playing with the Coons I chose Cutmyself as my user name. Maybe this will lift the jinx. ::dang::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I was recentlly at my neighborhood knife store examining a nice Canal Street congress. As I went to close the blade I somehow managed to catch the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger with just the tip of the closing blade. The knife was so sharp that for a moment I didn't realize what had happened, but then I saw blood on my hand and at about the same time felt the sting.
I left the knife there that day but returned the next day to purchase it. I am now in the process of giving it some extensive pocket time in hopes that I can break it from that nasty habit and make it "civilized".
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
KEN

Post by KEN »

During my college years, I spend my summers working in a slaughter house. I got bit plenty. So I started wearing those steel mesh gloves, Hell I would still cut my self. The one I remember best was the time I was working across the table from a left handed moron who would cut the meat in an upward arch and one day he sliced all my fingers along the knuckles. The problem with getting cut in the slaughter house is that your hands were wet all day long and the cuts would take forever to heal. And the risk of infection was pretty good.

Oh, and rule number one was to never try and catch a falling knife.
JWS

Post by JWS »

Gave my EDC Buck a sharpening and thought a little Flitz would make it look better. I guess I got a little carried away wiping off the main blade an sliced thru the cloth and my thumb. BAD.

I said OUCH! that hurts. :roll:
J.W.
J.W.

M.I.L.T.D.D.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Great thread guys.
All I can say is, "been there, done that". :oops: ::dang::

Paul
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Well, I got a new installment ...

Last night, cutting the (far too many) plastic bands holdin a new pair of gloves together, (using my freshly sharpened Spyderco Kopa) ... sheesh - there were SIX of em, and tough stuff - these guys did NOT want the gloves to get separated ... well, got to the last one, and didn't want to "nick" one of the gloves, so I twisted my grip to hold the glove clear ... ::facepalm:: ... wish I'd have been as concerned about the tip of my thumb ... and ...

She bit me!

:shock:

Knife was sharp as a razor and has a nice pointy spear tip on it ... ^%$#&@@!! did that sting!

Good news is, it mated right up and sealed up quick ... as "sharp" cuts sometimes will, but it still throbs a little ... I'll be reminded of that mishap for the next few days ... :|

~ edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
singin46

Post by singin46 »

:lol: That throbbing lets you know you're alive, Paul! ::dang::
Love all Jacks
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I keep a bottle of cyanoacrylate adhesive on top of one of my knife cabinets.Best stuff in the world for stopping blood flow and closing wounds.
A guy I used to work for managed to cut himslef(using a single edge razor with no handle)just about every time he did a pre-delivery inspection on a new car.The bumpers came covered with a heavy plastic wrap which was difficult at best to remove.Whenever he came walking up to the parts counter with a smile on his face(and holding one hand with the other)I reached under the counter to get his bottle of Super Glue.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wlf

Post by wlf »

KEN wrote:During my college years, I spend my summers working in a slaughter house. I got bit plenty. So I started wearing those steel mesh gloves, Hell I would still cut my self. The one I remember best was the time I was working across the table from a left handed moron who would cut the meat in an upward arch and one day he sliced all my fingers along the knuckles. The problem with getting cut in the slaughter house is that your hands were wet all day long and the cuts would take forever to heal. And the risk of infection was pretty good.

Oh, and rule number one was to never try and catch a falling knife.
Me too Ken,it took me a few months to get used to the knife.I've got a lot of scarred fingers and a nice big one on my thigh.You're right ,it took them a long time to heal.

Their were 5 or 6 of us usually in the busy fall. We processed 35 hogs and 26 head of cattle one day. I usually ran the saw and collected the money after being there a while.

Getting cut on my finger probably is the reason I still have it.We ran out of sterile tape and I had a ball of plastic electricians tape around the wounded finger. While sawing,for whatever reason ?, my finger hit the band saw teeth.That plastic bounced of the blade,otherwise it would have grabbed my finger and sliced it off. Very very scary!!
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I get a nick fairly often messing around with knives. But I have one in particular that hates me. It is a little Case Swayback wharncliffe. Something about the size and shape of that knife and my hands make it especially prone to catching the webbing on my thumb when I close it. I have learned to be careful with that Knife!
Mel
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

singin46 wrote: :lol: That throbbing lets you know you're alive, Paul! ::dang::
Thanks a lot Perry! I can feel the love … :D
knife7knut wrote:"I keep a bottle of cyanoacrylate adhesive on top of one of my knife cabinets.Best stuff in the world for stopping blood flow and closing wounds. … "
Yup, got a bottle in the medicine cabinet and one over the work bench … but this thing sealed right up - I actually squeezed it open the make it bleed a little in case somethin got in it … it was such a clean cut, zipped right back together again …
KEN wrote:" … Oh, and rule number one was to never try and catch a falling knife."
Good rule, Ken … I didn't follow that rule once … reflexes got the better of me … five steri-strips later … I follow that rule now. That one would NOT stay closed … ::tear::
wlf wrote:" … That plastic bounced of the blade,otherwise it would have grabbed my finger and sliced it off. Very very scary!!"
When I was a youngster, I worked in the meat dept. of a major supermarket chain in NY. I saw a butcher take his thumb off with one of those bone band saws … not pretty - glad you were lucky, Lyle!!
Dinadan wrote:" … But I have one in particular that hates me. It is a little Case Swayback wharncliffe. Something about the size and shape of that knife and my hands make it especially prone to catching the webbing on my thumb when I close it. I have learned to be careful with that Knife!"
I have a G-10 Case peanut that snaps like a gator, and damn if that thing hasn't nicked me about 3 or 4 times now! Don't know what it is, but that little be@tch has tasted blood and now she's just vicious! Of course, it has nothin' to do with me bein' "dense" or anything …. :roll:

~ Albert Einstein
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Edge - Glad you revived this thread. I've been bit numerous times but a couple of them I'll never forget. The first one I'll plead as a simple accident. The second one was just plain stupidity. ::dang::

Several years ago I swapped for an old 2-blade Remington jack with really nice bone scales. It was really sharp and had strong springs, especially so on the secondary blade. Couple of days later I was showing it to a friend. As I started opening the secondary blade, my thumb nail slipped off the pull and she snapped shut. I started over and opened the blade. My friend said "hey man you're bleeding"! The knuckle on my thumb had a chunk about the diameter of a pencil eraser sliced off it, and I hadn't felt a thing. Left a scar that's still there today. ::woot:: Think I still have the knife. Somewhere.

The other time I was using a Case 3318 stockman, clip (master) blade with my right hand to cut some plastic zip ties from an overhead tarp, while holding the tarp above my head with my left hand. Unfortunately (the stupid part) the knife was pointed toward my left arm. You guessed it. When the blade cut through the zip tie the knife stabbed, to the hilt, into my left arm between the wrist and elbow. Straight in. ::mdm:: I pulled the blade out of my arm, blood was running everywhere but it wasnt gushing. Pressed my red bandana handkerchief on it, tied it in place, got in my truck and drove to the emergency room (from my place about 20 miles), while holding my arm above my head, blood dripping off my elbow. By the time I got in to see a nurse the bleeding had all but stopped. Fortunately I missed any arteries, veins, or tendons. ::pray:: After a thorough check for damage and giving me a tetanus shot and antibiotics they sent me home. Still have that knife, too. The other stupid part is, when I did it I had a pair of dikes in my truck just a few feet away. Far better tool for the job!

And to think, I used to teach knife safety (Totin' chip) to Boy Scouts! ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I've been bit a few times myself but this story isn't about being bitten. I spend a lot of time messing with knives in my shop. Just about anyone who makes or repairs knives can tell you that cyanoacrylate, better known as super glue can be indispensable at times.

The problem with little tubes is that they dry up and become useless with time but there is a way around that problem. About 10 years ago I was at a knife show in Austin TX. and there was a vendor that was selling super glue in various thicknesses and in a variety of large containers. I bought 2 different viscosities of glue in 16 oz. containers and keep them in my fridge in the shop. Keep it cold and it will keep indefinitely.

Since 16 ounces is a lot of glue I would keep a smaller container of each viscosity and get it out of the fridge and use it when needed. The problem started when I ran out of the little containers. I was doing a job and needed the thin gap finding glue so I retrieved the large bottle and put it on my work bench. Being rather frantic at work at times I left the container uncapped on the edge of my bench until I clumsily knocked it over and onto the floor. The trouble with thin gap finding glue is that it spreads like wildfire whenever given a chance. In a matter of mere seconds I managed to glue my shop drawers shut, cover my legs, flip flops and a good portion of the floor with glue. I hopped, jumped, kicked off my sandals and was aware enough to realize more than a split second spent in any one place could spell disaster. I could feel my feet sticking to my sandals and to the floor as I did my inpromptu interpretive glue dance. This stuff sets super fast and for an older dude I moved pretty fast but still nearly ended up glued to the floor of my shop.

I'm glad my wife didn't have to come home and find me glued to the floor. She would not have been happy with me. I spent a good amount of time over the next three days picking glue from my feet and legs. There is still a nice glazed splash pattern on the floor of my shop to remind me to use and cap the small containers.

::uc::

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I did this-
oops.JPG
While touching up this with my ceramic stone. :(
cold steel.JPG
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”