She bit me! ~ share your little 'mishaps' ...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
On Edge

Re: She bit me! ~ share your little 'mishaps' ...

Post by On Edge »

Glenn, Ouch!!! I think that's worse than a bite … not knife related, but some years ago I was running up a set of brick steps barefoot, slipped somehow and tore my big toenail nearly clean off …. :shock: … some of the worst pain I've ever felt, dropped me like a rock … so yeah, I can relate - worse than a cut to me.

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of GEC 73s, and in the early days they seemed to be the ones with some of the strongest pull (23s were worse I think, but I've only owned 2 of those, partly for that reason) … I had one that was so bad, I picked up a little knife pick from AG Russell and threw it on my keychain. The pick's still there, but most of the 73s are gone … ::tear:: … cool little item to have with me though, never need to use the wrong tool to pry with …

~ edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I usually have strong fingernails for opening blades with no issues. This time, I think it was a combo of them being a bit too long, plus it being a bit cold in the shop.

I can remember years ago I had done something to my thumb nail, and ripped about half of it off lengthwise. It was healing okay but made for some interesting issues trying to do things with it. I recall being on a fly-fishing trip, and it being almost impossible to tie any knots or do any fine dexterity work.

I have a wide-eyed admiration for those that have missing or damaged digits, and the things they accomplish without them.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Glenn I feel for ya on what that ripped backward nail felt like. I'm not sure if it's the aging process or the meds I'm on, but my fingernails are not nearly as stout as they used to be and I've had several similar incidents in recent years. It hurts like crazy. ::teary_eyes::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Some interesting stories here. I slipped cutting one of those stubborn zip ties as mentioned and stabbed myself in the palm. Not a majorly nasty cut but when it healed if you want to call it that, it has left a hole in my hand about 1/4" deep. People kind of trip out when they see it.

Another non knife story that is not something you hear everyday...
I went to junior high in CA. I might have been like 11 years old. Part of the required courses at the time to graduate was non other than home economics where you learn to cook and sew and the sort. Not an elective as they say. Even the guys had to do it. Don't ask, not my rule. Probably some really bad failed attempt at feminization or something.
Anyway, at the sewing machine and my bobbin thread or whatever the hell you call it (the tiny spool under the base plate) fell out or something. I could see the tiny thread still barely sticking out the hole in the baseplate so of course I reach in with my fingers to grab it. I am sure you know what happens next...
As I am struggling to grab this damn thing I shift my body or some other crap and fully depress the power/speed button with my foot.
After the needle goes completely through my middle finger finger tip and punching out the center of my fingernail about 5 or 6 times, I realize what is occurring, I say to myself "Hey Dumbass, Get your freaking finger out of there, that doesn't feel too hot". So I yank my hand out of there. Trying to piece together what the hell had just happened I look at the needle and about 1/4" is missing. Hmm, where could that be I pondered. On the floor, no. In my finger, yes.
Same school in wood shop, the teacher had about half of 3 fingers he lost to a band saw. Not the tips, about 2 knuckles deep. Yea, like I am going to listen to this guy when he shows me how to use one.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

zp4ja wrote:" ... Yea, like I am going to listen to this guy when he shows me how to use one."
LMAO! Dude, hand on the Bible, I went to school in Brooklyn, NY and we had a wood shop teacher that was missing half of two fingers! And I thought the very same thing - "this cat is NOT an example I want to follow" ... that is too funny ... or would that be sad ... ? I remember feeling bad for him, but not bad enough to follow his lead ... crazy ... :shock:

~ edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
Gunsablazin

Post by Gunsablazin »

Four fingers, last two days. Going through my dad's old stuff. Need a damn chain mail glove to open these suckers.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

On Edge wrote:
zp4ja wrote:" ... Yea, like I am going to listen to this guy when he shows me how to use one."
LMAO! Dude, hand on the Bible, I went to school in Brooklyn, NY and we had a wood shop teacher that was missing half of two fingers! And I thought the very same thing - "this cat is NOT an example I want to follow" ... that is too funny ... or would that be sad ... ? I remember feeling bad for him, but not bad enough to follow his lead ... crazy ... :shock:

~ edge
I guess shop teacher needs to be added to the list of most dangerous jobs it seems. No embellishment on my stories either. I tell em like they happen.
I have a couple of funny true stories of a minor shop accident (my son) and a bullet proof glass test versus various firearm projectiles I was involved in. Funny but thankfully only minor injuries.

Born in Queens myself egde.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Subtitle: How NOT to close a linerlock …

OK, here I am again …

Yesterday morning, deciding which "one hander" to EDC along with my 66 mink … the candidates were:
Spyderco Worker
Spyderco Sage 1
Benchmade Mini Dejavoo

So I run through the three of 'em - you know, open knife, feel the grip, close knife, clip in pocket, lather rinse repeat … ran through each of 'em twice, pretty much decided on the Dejavoo, and scooping the other two up in my left hand, decided to "cycle" the Dejavoo one more time with my right … flicked 'er open, hit the liner lock release with thumb, and for some damn reason only known to my sado-subconscious, I used my middle finger to bump the blade closed … well, take a wild guess where that put my index finger … ? Go ahead, take a shot …
Son of a @#%*@!! ::dang::

I had just put a hair poppin edge on all three the night before, and with almost no pressure I "popped" a nice little push-cut right into the side of my finger … :shock:
It occurs to me that nearly all my mishaps are the result of distraction, haste, inattention or a combination of the above … ya would think by now I would figure out not to do that … ::doh::

~ edge

~ Albert Einstein
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Operator mal-function is a BE-ATCH ::nod::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

tjmurphy wrote:Operator mal-function is a BE-ATCH ::nod::
:lol:

That it is, TJ ... that it is ...

~ Albert Einstein
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

The story about the shop teacher missing part of two fingers reminded me of an incident a couple of years ago. I was surveying a sawmill and the man giving me the plant safety talk was missing part of a finger. Ouch! But in that place there was no way to be safe except to leave, quickly. Exposed drive chains everywhere and occasional split boards flying out, though I was told that the worst the flying boards had ever done was break some folks legs.
Mel
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Howdy fellas!

Did something really dumb this evening, so I sought out this old thread to share …

I can make this one short and sweet. Do not, repeat DO NOT use the sheepsfoot blade on your stockman to try and compress a watchband pin to remove a particularly stubborn and tight fitting band which necessitates a great amount of force. Because when the pin lets go, well that blade follows pretty quick … :shock:

Laid my thumb open from the side of the nail to at least halfway across the pad … deep too. ::dang::

I can't show you pictures because I barely got the sumbitch to stop bleeding, and you all know what a bandage looks like.
This one had stitches written all over it, but I managed to get it to stay closed - for now.

Then I went and got a slim, dull implement, and popped the other pin out with absolutely no problem … and my son's just shakin' his head … ::smirk::

~ Albert Einstein
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Edge, you have my sympathy - I know the feeling all too well!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Ouch! We've all done something like that at one time or another. That sucker's gonna hurt for a few days.

Stay safe!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Thanks fellas …

So here it is, two days later and looking a sight better …
thumbouch.jpg
::smirk::

~ Albert Einstein
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm no doctor but I have a good bit of experience with this sort of situation. Looks like you need more Neosporin and keep it covered with a Band-Aid for another few days. N a s t y !!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Thanks Jerry ... yup, my diagnosis exactly ... took that pic while letting it get some air and "de-prune" ... it had been covered and "Neosporined" for two days at that point ... covered her back up for a day ... now down to just a heavy Band-Aid ... comin' along fine ... :wink:

Side note: try going through your day with one thumb ... button a shirt, tie your shoes, heck try just putting a belt on ... using only one of your thumbs ... seriously challenged ... :|

~ Albert Einstein
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Doctor Paul. Doctor Jerry. Doctor Paul. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

jerryd6818 wrote:Doctor Paul. Doctor Jerry. Doctor Paul. :lol:
"Doctor". "Doctor".

Remember "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" ?

:D

~ Albert Einstein
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

On Edge wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Doctor Paul. Doctor Jerry. Doctor Paul. :lol:
"Doctor". "Doctor".

Remember "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" ?

:D
Vaguely. Mine was based on the Three Stooges. "Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KcqITIPlA[/youtube]
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Bless your heart Edge!

Cuz I love that Three Stooges episode. Heck I love the stooges period.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Colonel26 wrote:Bless your heart Edge!

Cuz I love that Three Stooges episode. Heck I love the stooges period.
Glad we brought back a fond memory for ya Colonel, but it's Jerry who deserves your thanks!

BTW, I am also a 3 Stooges fan, so I fully concur. Doctor.

~ Albert Einstein
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Nobody's cut themself recently?

Hmmmm......I cut the tip clean off in one slick swipe.....
Attachments
IMG_3498.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

OUCH!
I see several old scars on those old ragged fingers. Just one more mark of character.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Been lucky so far ... nothing significant, but it's just a matter of time. Getting bit doesn't sound like much fun. What I'm really worried about is sharpening woodworking plane blades with a roller skate jig (Scary Sharp method) ... that won't be just a bite if it ever happens - that will cost me at least a fingerprint if I'm lucky ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”