Knife Photography

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Knife Photography

Postby TripleF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

I've seen some magnificent pics of knives in fantastic settings on here. If there isn't a thread already for this I thought I might start one.

Post your knife pics.....

asstdknifess004.jpg

Imperial1950s002.jpg

johnnierotten

Re: Knife Photography

Postby johnnierotten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Nice thread and pics,3F ::tu:: ...........I wish I had some to contribute...but my photography skills are definitely lacking. :(
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't know if it's my camera, my camera settings, me or a little of all three but my pictures SUCK. I see 3F's pictures and the pictures 46, Willie, J2shoes and others take and think how professional they look. I'll bet that's it. Everyone has hired a professional photographer and is passing it off as their own work. Sneaky devils. ::huff::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby TripleF » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:I don't know if it's my camera, my camera settings, me or a little of all three but my pictures SUCK. I see 3F's pictures and the pictures 46, Willie, J2shoes and others take and think how professional they look. I'll bet that's it. Everyone has hired a professional photographer and is passing it off as their own work. Sneaky devils. ::huff::

Dang ::facepalm:: ya just can't fool anybody anymore. LOL

PS - I take all my pics with a 3.2 megapixel Canon Powershot

johnnierotten

Postby johnnierotten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

ForensicJim takes some good pics also... ::nod::

I use a Canon Power Shot as well...but mine is a 8.0 megapixels. I have it set so the pics are taken in about 3.0 MP.....if not it takes forever to upload.
johnnierotten

Toejammer

Postby Toejammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey TripleF, that ad knife looks familiar :mrgreen:

Question: do you guys use the macro setting when shooting pics of knives ?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

johnnierotten

Postby johnnierotten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I do.. ::nod::
I guess I don't take bad pics....just plain pics. :shock:...I don't use backgrounds or props.
Attachments
GEC LadyLeg.JPG
johnnierotten

allmightyoz

Postby allmightyoz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 pm

tell u what... old olympus semi manual digital from before 2000 with 2.1 MP takes better pictures than a 2007ish cannon point and shoot. Personally, I use Macro for hard to see or light stampings on things, but the focus has to be just right or else it screws the picture. macro is the only way to go for ultra close ups of light stamps. Macro is not the way to go for a picture of the whole knife... ISO is super important too, a picture that should be golden can be a turd if your ISO isn't right.

Seems to me the problem with the point and shoots is that they try to do all of these things automatically and give the user little control, as they work pretty well for taking pictures of people, they lack in landscape and detail photography.

and one more thing... never use autofocus if you do it manually!
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.

johnny twoshoes

Postby johnny twoshoes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:09 pm

TF, Very nice pic. 8)

Jerry,
I hired a professional to teach me, so I couldn't have done this on my own. When I first started adding pics to this site, they were less than satisfactory, but I wanted to share my collection, as time went on I got a little better, but I never got a consistent product from picture to picture.

johnny twoshoes

Postby johnny twoshoes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 pm

After I got some training, and I truly learned the abilities of my camera I got a better product.

j2sP1010665-1.jpg

j2sP1010132-1.jpg

j2sP1019809-1-1.jpg

johnnierotten

Postby johnnierotten » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice pics,Caleb!! ::tu::
johnnierotten

Toejammer

Postby Toejammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 pm

very nice pics there, I need to get more creative. I like the glove and the bolts shots ! ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

coffeecup

Postby coffeecup » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 am

Toejammer wrote:very nice pics there, I need to get more creative. I like the glove and the bolts shots ! ::tu::

I suspect this is a point where I'll draw some fire, but given the thread I can't resist speaking up. The pics are great, really--and I'm writing that as someone who in the past did product shots for catalogs, magazine articles, and stock. But WHY BOTHER TO DO SUCH REALLY NICE WORK THEN PRESENT IT IN A FORMAT/SIZE WHERE IT CAN'T BE PROPERLY VIEWED????

When pictures are presented this large, you can't see the entire image at once. You wind up side-shifting, scrolling up and down, and generally unable to see what the photographer worked so hard to present.

Please re-size the pics to fit a standard screen (as TripleF did with his pics sized to 640x480 pixels), or upload the photos to a forum album so you can post a thumbnail that links to a full-sized pic without all the forum impedimentia (as Johnny Rotten did with his 1309x980 pixel image).

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:37 am

I agree with Jim ::nod::

I have a 22" computer screen, and I am still scrolling left to right to see some of these pictures ::hmm::
AAPK Janitor

trail

Postby trail » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 am

Or alternatively, don't click on the "place inline" button that shows up after you upload the picture. That way a smaller version shows in the thread. If you click on it once, it opens to a size that maximizes the picture within the constraints of the screen, and if you click a second time, it opens the picture to full resolution for viewing close details.

I browsed to find the picture below, then clicked on "add the file", and once it uploaded I did NOT click on "Place Inline". This way, the picture shows as a large thumbnail. If you click once, it scales itself to fill the screen, maintaining proportion of length to width. If you click twice, it opens to full 1840 x 1608 pixels.
Attachments
bear_c3281.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”