DO YOU........................CANOE ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: DO YOU........................CANOE ?

Post by Sasquach »

JamieinWV wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:03 pm
Sasquach wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:58 pm Nice lookin' black pearl Parker Jamie!! ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: :mrgreen:

Here's a Japanese Frost...
Very nice my Parker friend, I don’t care a canoe but I may slip one on the pocket and carry one…
I have found the canoe pattern to be very "pocket friendly" over the years. No sharp corners and sized just big enough to be really useful but small enough to ride in the watch pocket of my Levi's. When I was a Scoutmaster the boys always ragged on me about my canoe (I was carrying a Boker Tree Brand back then) and reminded me that it wasn't an official BSA knife. When I left scouting (I still do some merit badge counseling) the boys had a parting gift for me....one of my most cherished possessions...pictured below.
Attachments
BSA Canoe.jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Sasquach wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:56 pm
Sasquach wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:58 pm Nice lookin' black pearl Parker Jamie!! ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: :mrgreen:

Here's a Japanese Frost...
Very nice my Parker friend, I don’t care a canoe but I may slip one on the pocket and carry one…
I have found the canoe pattern to be very "pocket friendly" over the years. No sharp corners and sized just big enough to be really useful but small enough to ride in the watch pocket of my Levi's. When I was a Scoutmaster the boys always ragged on me about my canoe (I was carrying a Boker Tree Brand back then) and reminded me that it wasn't an official BSA knife. When I left scouting (I still do some merit badge counseling) the boys had a parting gift for me....one of my most cherished possessions...pictured below.
That’s a awesome knife and better story, the scouts need people such as yourself to counsel them, sometimes working with youth they don’t realize that maybe the teacher gets the reward also.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

JamieinWV wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:57 pm
Sasquach wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:56 pm

That’s a awesome knife and better story, the scouts need people such as yourself to counsel them, sometimes working with youth they don’t realize that maybe the teacher gets the reward also.
Indeed! I had as much, if not more, fun as the boys. Our troop did at least one week-end camping trip per month. I loved it. However my greatest reward was being part of creating self sufficient young men, including a few Eagle Scouts, who are just as confident and comfortable in the great outdoors as they are in the neighborhood.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

A new dinghy has been added to the fleet, the Black Sea Dichrolam baby butterbean...
Attachments
Black Sea Dichrolam Beanie 2022.jpg

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Sasquach wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 pm A new dinghy has been added to the fleet, the Black Sea Dichrolam baby butterbean...
Allow me to be the first to say WOW that is a beauty Charlie. And look at that big 80 carat diamond that you bought also.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I’ve been seeing some Case knives with that handle material and it is impressive. Really looks nice Charlie.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

JamieinWV wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 pm
Sasquach wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:44 pm A new dinghy has been added to the fleet, the Black Sea Dichrolam baby butterbean...
Allow me to be the first to say WOW that is a beauty Charlie. And look at that big 80 carat diamond that you bought also.
Thanks Jamie.

That's not a diamond, it's a crystal pyramid empowered by an ancient Egyptian High Priest that gives me psycho powers to violate my budget buying knives. Damn thing really works! ::rotflol::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:19 pm I’ve been seeing some Case knives with that handle material and it is impressive. Really looks nice Charlie.
Thanks SSK.

I'm hoping Case will get good sales and decide to expand the selection of patterns. I'd definitely pony up for a Canoe and a Soddy Jr. I did some looking around on the internet about the material Dichrolam and like most synthetics it is made in different color combinations, Black Sea is just one of them. It'll be interesting to see what comes next.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Sasquach wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:35 pm
JamieinWV wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:53 pm
Thanks Jamie.

That's not a diamond, it's a crystal pyramid empowered by an ancient Egyptian High Priest that gives me psycho powers to violate my budget buying knives. Damn thing really works! ::rotflol::
That’s exactly the thing I don’t need, I have enough trouble fighting off my own justification of spending money.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Sad news for Case canoes. I recently learned that Case has discontinued the Indian in the canoe etch on the master blade of the canoe pattern. While the etch was not offered on every canoe they made it has been a staple of the traditional canoe pattern, even emulated by others, since 1974 and appeared on the master blade of some Case canoes from that time until now. To many it symbolizes the traditional canoe pattern pocket knife. I called the factory and they confirmed that the etch has been discontinued but would not give a reason for doing so. I strongly suspect that the political stupidity of the "cancel culture" has slimed its way into the cutlery world and Case is knuckling under to avoid artificial controversy resulting from some "woke" paleface who imagines it is offensive to First Americans. Having made my feelings on the matter very clear to the Case folks at the factory I will probably not be purchasing any post 2022 Case products. A sad day indeed.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

::facepalm:: :(
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is sad Charlie. I guess you are right about the reason. It’s probably considered “cultural appropriation” and that will get you cancelled also. When will these corporations ever learn that giving in to this crap only makes it worse and makes them feel more powerful? Sad indeed.
I’ve already cut way back on my Case purchases. Try selling Case knives from your collection and see how much they will bring. You will probably lose money on 90% of them. Not a smart investment or collecting choice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:32 pm That is sad Charlie. I guess you are right about the reason. It’s probably considered “cultural appropriation” and that will get you cancelled also. When will these corporations ever learn that giving in to this crap only makes it worse and makes them feel more powerful? Sad indeed.
I’ve already cut way back on my Case purchases. Try selling Case knives from your collection and see how much they will bring. You will probably lose money on 90% of them. Not a smart investment or collecting choice.
I wonder if it has occurred the Case management that they are offending people who buy their products and support their company in an attempt to avoid offending people who probably don't own a single Case product and couldn't care less about an American company. I may still purchase the occasional Case knife but it will be vintage. I was astounded when the Ojibwe Maiden was removed from the Land O" Lakes label. What in the world could anyone find offensive about that? In many cases the people or culture that is represented aren't offended at all and the hoopla is created by others who think they should be offended. I'm waiting for St. Patrick's Day to disappear because it may be offensive to the Irish. Go figure...

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Not to derail this thread (with apologies to all railroad workers for appropriating the term "derail" :roll: ), I'm finding it difficult to distinguish the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural recognition/celebration/acknowledgement. I tend to think that cultural appropriation involves using cultural stereotypes in a pejorative context like the Washington Redskins football team since the term "Redskins" has historically been used to refer to American Indians in a negative sense (much like the "N word" for African Americans). But I have a couple of Chief Brand knives that depict an Indian chief in ceremonial headdress that portrays a sense of stoicism, pride and dignity. And then there's Case's Native American Canoe set that identifies and celebrates the names of several well-known American Indian tribes. Personally, I see absolutely nothing negative about that, in fact, quite the opposite...it's a recognition of an integral aspect of American history. I suppose the next step in cancel culture will be to rename the canoe pattern to something like "long, narrow, traditional watercraft with distinctive bow & stern shape"! ::smirk::

I guess I'm just not "woke" enough to see just how offensive all this nonsense is according to the so-called keepers of the moral high ground. :? ::undecided::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:59 pm Not to derail this thread (with apologies to all railroad workers for appropriating the term "derail" :roll: ), I'm finding it difficult to distinguish the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural recognition/celebration/acknowledgement. I tend to think that cultural appropriation involves using cultural stereotypes in a pejorative context like the Washington Redskins football team since the term "Redskins" has historically been used to refer to American Indians in a negative sense (much like the "N word" for African Americans). But I have a couple of Chief Brand knives that depict an Indian chief in ceremonial headdress that portrays a sense of stoicism, pride and dignity. And then there's Case's Native American Canoe set that identifies and celebrates the names of several well-known American Indian tribes. Personally, I see absolutely nothing negative about that, in fact, quite the opposite...it's a recognition of an integral aspect of American history. I suppose the next step in cancel culture will be to rename the canoe pattern to something like "long, narrow, traditional watercraft with distinctive bow & stern shape"! ::smirk::

I guess I'm just not "woke" enough to see just how offensive all this nonsense is according to the so-called keepers of the moral high ground. :? ::undecided::
You and me both Q. I agree with your terminology. From what I have read the cultural appropriation offense can be as simple as a white person wearing a sombrero, or a child dressing up for Halloween as a bull fighter. People in the fashion industry have been cancelled for using clothing that is associated with a certain race of people, god forbid, especially if they are a white person doing this. Don’t let your daughters wear a kimono this Halloween, unless she is Japanese.
All this does is cement my determination to not give a rats *** about what the woke mob is railing about this week. If I were still working at my old firm, I would have been fired a long time ago.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have strong ties to my Cherokee (Tsa-la-gi') heritage, and I do not find it offensive when companies use the names and images of Native American peoples, especially when it is done in ways that honor us (which most of it does, today).
The worst thing about the whole "cancel culture" mindset is that nothing is ever enough.
A company will change their products or branding to show that they care, and hope that the political pressure will stop. But then the bullies who pressured them only come after them harder. If I owned Case, I would keep the Indians (yes, I said it!) on the image, and when a people complained I would begin an advertising campaign to explain why we honor the First Americans, and why we would not bow down to Political Correctness.
After all, the only way to end bullying is to stand up to the bully.

By the way, I do not own a Case Canoe knife with that etch, but I may look for one to buy now!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I totally agree with you guys. America is "The Great Melting Pot" If you bring your culture here it becomes part of American culture. According to my DNA analysis I'm 85% Scotts/Irish and I'm very into my heritage but I have absolutely no problem with a Black, Hispanic, or Asian man wearing kilts. I was also born and raised just a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Mexican border as well as in close proximity to one of the largest reservations in America. I lived among, went to school with, and hung out with Navajo, Arapaho, Hopi, Chicano/Mexican, and Black, as well as young members of a growing Greek population in the area. We borrowed and learned from each others cultures. I speak Spanish well enough to get along where no one speaks English. I learned many of my hunting skills from a Navajo. I love souvlaki and baklava, Mexican cuisine is pretty much home cooking to me. What has happened to that mentality? BTW I am a hat guy and I own two sombreros, both purchased in Mexico, that I wear with my serape on Cinco de Mayo while celebrating with my Mexican amigos who sport shamrocks and drink green beer with me on St. Paddy's Day. The woke cancel culture is doing more to divide people than bring them together. It would seem that sharing cultures is what makes America great yet the woke crowd sees it as racism. It's a shame.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Since we're on the topic...

Here are a few from my archives that I think have very cool blade etches with fantastic detail (I especially love the dog on the STAR black pearl canoe in the second photo! :)). I sincerely hope no Native Americans (or persons of Native American heritage) are offended by these etches. But IMHO, there's absolutely no reason to be offended by images showing ancestral ways of life that make any culture unique and interesting.
Attachments
P8260001.JPG
P8260003.JPG

~Q~
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Very nice Q. ::tu::

Here are a few of mine from the archive...
Attachments
1975 Five Dot Canoe.JPG
1978 Two Dot  Canoe.JPG
1990 Bradford Tang Stamp.JPG
Amber Bone Canoe.JPG
Blue Bone Case Transition Mint Set Canoe 1989.JPG
Frost candy stripe canoe Japan.jpg
Frost Canoe Japan.JPG
Queen USA Delrin Stag.jpg

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

And then there are these...
Attachments
Tribal Canoes with boxes.jpg
Tribal Mohican 1 Blade.jpg
Tribal Seminole 1 Blade.JPG
Tribal Navajo 2 Blade.jpg
Tribal Sioux 2 Blade.jpg
Tribal Cherokee 3 Blade.jpg
Tribal Apache 3 Blade.JPG

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

LOVE that set!!! 8) ::tu:: :D

~Q~
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Sasquach wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:40 am And then there are these...
::tu:: Now we're talking!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Not only The Washington Redskins caved to the pressure, The Cleveland Indians now the Guardians I guess it won’t be too long that we will have The Atlanta Gummy Bears instead of Braves. ::woot::
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Great looking knives, Charlie! Cool set!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Here's some more "cultural admiration" ....in your face woke joke folks.
Attachments
Sequoyah Canoe 1986.jpg

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”