Harvest Time Knives!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
313 Mike

Harvest Time Knives!!

Post by 313 Mike »

Well since we are entering into the harvest season, and some of our gardens are beginning to bear fruit...or veggies...I thought it might be fun to start a thread that incorporated some of our freshly harvested veggies along with some of our favorite knives! I'll start it out...

Here's a few carrots I just yanked out of the garden, along with the two knives I had in my pockets while I was harvesting...

Burnt Orange GEC 25
carrots 003.jpg
Yellow Schrade 8OT
carrots 004.jpg
I'm really intersted to see what kind of crops you all are harvesting, gotta love the fresh produce! ::tu::

Gino, I know you said you got some tomatoes comin' in ripe, let's have a look at 'em! ::nod::

Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Harvest Time Knives!!

Post by jerryd6818 »

Perfect. :wink: You're going to be much happier. (and so am I :lol: )
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote:Perfect. :wink: You're going to be much happier. (and so am I :lol: )

Yes Jerry, you are correct.

Freshly harvested veggies + knives + lower resolution photography = Happier Marines

(I think I remembering hearing that in boot camp...or something like it anyways.... ::hmm:: ...actually I think it was a much different equation, that I can't mention in a pulbic forum, I know it included sweat, beer, and something else....)

::doh:: Look at us sidetrackin' this thread before it even gets started.... ::facepalm::

Jerry you'd better post up some knives n' veggies to get us back on track.....cmon' now, next man up!
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I would have to go to the grocery store. I have some Cushaw Squash planted at a friend's house but it will be September before we know if they do any good.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Continuation of the sidetrackin'...Jerry, them cushaw seeds you shipped to Florida are sittin' right here beside the computer, waitin' for the 1st of August to be planted. If they make squash as big as the package says they will, we'll have to start another thread 'bout chainsaws being used at harvest time!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Baked squash 'n candied squash 'n boiled squash 'n broiled squash 'n buttered squash.......
Life is just a patch of squash.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

What's a Cushaw squash? Some kinda winter squash?/
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Alright, here's a couple of shots to get us back on track...both from last year's harvest, but fitting nonetheless.....
pepps 005.jpg
pepps 006.jpg
Mike

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Cushaws are a very large squash, same family as a pumpkin, that we use for making "Pumpkin pies". The seed cavity is not as large as a traditional pumpkin seed cavity, so there is quit a bit more edible meat. We have been planting a local variety for years and they are apparently different than those that jerryd plants. When ours mature they are a pale yellow like a butternut squash, the ones that we will plant in August, thanks to jerryd, are supposed to be green striped when they mature and up to 40 pounds. Late summer planting, August 1st, gives us time for the cushaws to mature right before Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer
Attachments
pumpkin patch.JPG

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yes, a winter squash.
Cushaw is a very old variety, supposedly planted by Indians in the Southwest a thousand years before the white man set foot on this continent.

We prefer it candied or in pies as a replacement for pumpkin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cushaw+ ... 24&bih=603
Attachments
Jay and Jen.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote:Cushaws are a very large squash, same family as a pumpkin, that we use for making "Pumpkin pies". The seed cavity is not as large as a traditional pumpkin seed cavity, so there is quit a bit more edible meat. We have been planting a local variety for years and they are apparently different than those that jerryd plants. When ours mature they are a pale yellow like a butternut squash, the ones that we will plant in August, thanks to jerryd, are supposed to be green striped when they mature and up to 40 pounds. Late summer planting, August 1st, gives us time for the cushaws to mature right before Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer
Phil, I swear that looks like a cross between a Butternut and a Hubbard. The color and smooth skin of a Butternut and the shape of a Hubbard.

This is a green Hubbard.
green-hubbard-squash.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, you may be right about it being a cross. If so it has been reproduced by many years of planting the seed from previous years crop of squash here on our place. The original "suspected" cushaw was bought from a roadside market in another county, seed saved and planted each year. ::shrug:: But thanks to you we will plant the real thing this year if it quits raining. We've had over 12 inches in the last week with the prospect of Chantal coming in a few days! ::td::
Treefarmer

PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Both them verities get good size lookin at the pic's--don't think there's any grown around here--bet the blossom's are good eating if they're like pumkins
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
junebug

Post by junebug »

HERE ARE A COUPLE FROM OUR 1ST GARDEN THIS YEAR :mrgreen:

CUCUMBERS
ARMENIAN CUCUMBERS
CILANTRO
GRAPE TOMATOES

ALSO IN THE WORKS
BELL PEPPERS
SWEET CORN
BASIL
PARSLEY
Attachments
4th of july misc 041.JPG
4th of july misc 043.JPG
4th of july misc 040.JPG
4th of july misc 047.JPG
4th of july misc 042.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Nice lookin' plot ya got there Junie! That's one of the friendliest looking scarecrows I think I've ever seen though! Need to put a patch over one eye and maybe a big bowie knife between his teeth to make him look a little scarier perhaps :lol:
Looks like you didn't waste a bit of space in your plot there, all kinds of goodies sproutin' up. Keep us posted as more come in.... ::tu::

Mike
Mike

junebug

Post by junebug »

WELL MIKE....FUNNY THING BOUT THAT SCARE CROW.....he was in the shed as a thanksgiving decoration...lolol......just threw him on a pipe and pipe through his shirt for arms...lol

yeah....we kinda goofed...our first garden.....
we really didnt think stuff would grow...lololololol...i dont know why?
we didnt even read directions on seeds,.....just poured em down the center.......hahahahhahaha
everything is WAY to close together.......next year we will be prepared,and better educated ::tu:: I THINK ::shrug:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's some bush pickles I just picked out of the garden....thought this pocket worn Case trapper was a pretty good match on the color...
Pickles & a Case 002.jpg
Mike

junebug

Post by junebug »

todays haul.......ma NEW to me BENCHMADE BARRAGE :mrgreen:
Attachments
july 016.JPG
july 017.JPG
july 018.JPG
july 019.JPG
july 020.JPG
- Junebug 2016
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great pics Josh, thanks for sharing them! ::tu::

Congrats on the new Benchmade, that is one fine lookin' piece of cutlery there....and nice haul of produce too, man those cherry tomatoes have got me salivating over here! ::drool:: Did ya gobble them all up already? toss 'em in a salad? eat 'em straight? If you toss them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and slow roast them in the oven on a cookie sheet they get all roasty and concentrated...or skewer 'em on bamboo skewers and put 'em on the grill over high heat and char the outside....or chop 'em up and make a salsa with some herbs, chiles, onions and a little lime.....oh man I can't wait for some fresh tomaters..... ::nod::
Mike

junebug

Post by junebug »

::super_happy::
tiff just eats em raw.....
i like to cook with them ::tu::
SALSA is main reason ::nod::
but.......a LOADED LASAGNA IS IN THE OVEN NOW ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
- Junebug 2016
junebug

Post by junebug »

TODAY WAS SHY ON MATERS.........BUT SEVERAL CUCUMBERS READY ::tu::
and used ma NEW TO ME knife..........from ma buddy robert vieu...a AAPK 2010 CLUB GEC UNIT 8)
Attachments
KNIFE TRADE FILE 010.JPG
KNIFE TRADE FILE 011.JPG
- Junebug 2016
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Love that AAPK knife Junebug, very cool. And nice batch of 'maters and cukes! Looks like lunch to me....

Spent an hour or so digging out weeds this morning, and managed to harvest this small batch of garden goodness as well...used the Gerber USA EZ OUT to aid in my work. I like to carry this one in the garden and around a campsite etc...solid knife that has held up well to hard use over the years. Very light weight, and it truly is "EZ OUT"...she whips open right fast.
harvest and a Gerber.jpg
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

313 Mike wrote:And nice batch of 'maters and cukes! Looks like lunch to me....
Mmmm..... Tomatoes & cucumbers in Miracle Whip. ::drool::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote:
313 Mike wrote:And nice batch of 'maters and cukes! Looks like lunch to me....
Mmmm..... Tomatoes & cucumbers in Miracle Whip. ::drool::
::facepalm::
Here we go again....how did I know this thread was going to take a turn down that ol' road again...?

Jerry you know full well that getting those freshly grown delicious veggies anywhere near a jar of that funky Miracle Whip abomination would be an insult to the garden gods.....
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hey!! The only road we're going down here is the Summer food road. It's one of my favorite summer salads. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

You started it with all this fresh garden stuff. ::huff::

Next you'll be telling me BLTs are off limits. ::uc::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”