For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

Postby Mumbleypeg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:25 pm

I agree with Greg's advice. If you have any specific questions about a particular knife (or all of them) post the pictures with your questions here in the Case Collectors forum viewforum.php?f=66. That is regularly checked by Case collectors here, who can likely provide any information you need.

eBay is the best place I know of to establish current value, whether you list the knives there to sell, or use eBay sold listings to research values.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:02 pm

There have been questions raised recently in various forums here about knife terminology (why is it called the "pile side"?, how is bone jigged and hafted?). Here's an old article (I think from the Case Collectors Club magazine) that explains much about the assembly processes, especially as they relate to bone handle covers, but also applies to other aspects. Also included are some tips on identifying a re-handled knife.

This article along with viewing the YouTube videos (see previous posts in this same thread) of the Case, GEC and other companies' factories will answer many questions and provide a good understanding of modern pocket knife manufacturing.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby edge213 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:43 am

Ken, interesting article. Thanks for posting.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

mattmiller26

Postby mattmiller26 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am

Nice educational video!

deserttrans
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby deserttrans » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Good post and info!!
Freedom Ain't FREE....

TPK

Postby TPK » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Great info! Picked up a few new terms in there. Thanks!

Whitehawk

Postby Whitehawk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:32 am

I am not exactly 'new' to pocketknives, having carried them since age 6. I still have that Imperial Barlow with imitation pearl scales. Later it was a Casexx junior stock knife which is still serving as my odd job knife in my desk drawer. For most of my teens I carried folding fisherman's knives, again by Imperial. I loved these knives, but the blades had a decided tendency to snap at the base. I went through three of them before I had to go to the heavy artillery, a Buck 110.

All of "my" childhood pocketknives were originally my Dad's. He had special favorites of his own. He had a G.I. stainless "Boy Scout Special" from WW II. It wasn't in his belongings when he passed, so perhaps he lost it? He still had his big Imperial 3-blade folder, which he used to fight for his life in an on-post mugging. He had a name for that knife which is unprintable here! He was a medic, stateside, working in a dispensary at a training base. On his way back to quarters he was waylaid by a razor-wielding thug. Dad parried the razor and found flesh with his blade. The mugger ran off. Dad pocketed the razor and hit for home!

When he got to the dispensary his mates were busy stitching up another soldier who had a nasty blade wound to his hand. It appeared as though a very sharp blade had penetrated the palm of the hand, then had been drawn forcefully through the flesh between the metacarpals and out between the middle and ring fingers. The hand had been laid open from near the base of the thumb to the fingers.

Next day Dad was making his morning rounds, emptying urinals, or whatever loathsome task it was. There lay the thug, wide awake and with a boxing glove of gause on his hand. The guy suddenly started to recognise Dad as the intended victim who had cut him up. Dad had the razor in his hand and pretended to pick it up from the floor. He held it out, asking, "Oh... did you drop this?" "N-n-no! It ain't mine!" I still have the razor, too!

I signed on here awhile back but haven't done much with the forum. I'll try to do better in future!
WHITEHAWK OUT

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 am

Whitehawk, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Timbo437

Postby Timbo437 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:04 am

I'm brand new both to this forum, and to traditionals. Funny thing is, I watched that video just yesterday, lol. At least I have a clue as to what people are talking about, but I'm still green as far as what is worth buying, what isn't, etc. I will buy what I'm attracted to, but it would be nice if what I buy would at least hold it's value over time, if not increase. Looking fotward to learning and growing more knowledgeable. :)

cudgee
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby cudgee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59 am

Timbo437 wrote:I'm brand new both to this forum, and to traditionals. Funny thing is, I watched that video just yesterday, lol. At least I have a clue as to what people are talking about, but I'm still green as far as what is worth buying, what isn't, etc. I will buy what I'm attracted to, but it would be nice if what I buy would at least hold it's value over time, if not increase. Looking fotward to learning and growing more knowledgeable. :)

Good on you, you will like it here. I do what you do, if i like it- i buy it. Depending on cost of course. I like Rough rider's, and they are affordable. But one thing i do know, i do not not collect knives to make money, very few hold their value and even less increase in value. They are like cars, unless rare and in good condition, they always decrease in value. The only one that may increase in value in my collection is a Charlie Campagna jigged bone lambsfoot that i am waiting on. But i bought it because i just liked it. :lol:

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Great story Whitehawk and welcome. ::handshake::
Timbo, the story in all things, buy what you like. ::nod::

pearlroosterman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby pearlroosterman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Timbo437, glad you joined the forum but happier you have joined the family of knife collectors. I have collected for 52 years beginning at age 8. I have literally owned thousands of knives. My main interest is antique Remingtons but I have a fondness for about anything with s blade and it folds..... lol. I have read many articles as to the proper way to put a collection together. My advice to you is to buy and collect what you like. If you are not a dealer acquire what you like as you are not trying to make money on your deals, just enjoyment. You can’t go wrong. You will find that AAPK is a great learning site as well as a great place to make new friends. I have really enjoyed it since joining some 9 years ago. Many wonderful sites on here but I invite you to visit the Remington group. You may find that Remingtons are something of interest, take care, John. AKA, Pearlroosterman.
John

WillyCamaro
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby WillyCamaro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 pm

::clapping::
"Four Queens; that'll beat just about any hand going! Sweet!!" - Steve Warden
"I Know Nothing! Nothing!" - Sgt. Schultz
"Would You Believe? Missed It By That Much" - Maxwell Smart; Agent 86

JnBama
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JnBama » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Found and watched the You Tube videos first and then joined AAPK , have earned a lot thanks . Also learned just because a knife distributors website is listed Outlet or Discount may not have a lower price , shop around for deals and free shipping.

Tee

Postby Tee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:50 pm

I just picked up this Bulldog brand Muskrat thought it was a beautiful knife got it home and found where it said prototype engraved on the back of knife blade does this make it a rarer find or is this something they did alot i know it was made in 1995
20190914_225405.jpg
20190914_225339.jpg
20190914_225324.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”