It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Papa Bones »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Good one David. A good knife for the watch pocket, well..... unless you carry a watch in it. :)
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 am
dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Good one David. A good knife for the watch pocket, well..... unless you carry a watch in it. :)
::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 am
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
So Smitty, I forgot I had this knife (sad, I know). I think the family connection between my new Craftsman and Ulster is definite now. This is an Ulster Cattle Stockman that I picked up years ago. Quite a family resemblance I'd say...
IMG_1816 (2).JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cousins maybe. ::nod:: ::shrug::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

doglegg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 am Cousins maybe. ::nod:: ::shrug::
True dat, Dlegg!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am
Papa Bones wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 am
toomanyknives wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
So Smitty, I forgot I had this knife (sad, I know). I think the family connection between my new Craftsman and Ulster is definite now. This is an Ulster Cattle Stockman that I picked up years ago. Quite a family resemblance I'd say...
IMG_1816 (2).JPG
::tu:: ::tu:: Yeppers.

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sweet duo t-m-k! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm Sweet duo t-m-k! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D
Thanks Tom!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've always wanted a hoof pick. Don't know why. No association with horses since the last time I went riding while on vacation on The Dominican Republic several years ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have absolutely no need or use for one but as ~Q~ keeps reminding me, "The monkey wants what the monkey wants."

Decided this was cheap enough to add one to the pile on a whim. It's a Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion.
Attachments
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion Closed.jpg
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion.jpg
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion Mark.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pmI've always wanted a hoof pick.
Well, you don't have to have a horse ....
you can always pick your own hooves with it !
::nod:: :lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm I've always wanted a hoof pick. Don't know why. No association with horses since the last time I went riding while on vacation on The Dominican Republic several years ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have absolutely no need or use for one but as ~Q~ keeps reminding me, "The monkey wants what the monkey wants."

Decided this was cheap enough to add one to the pile on a whim. It's a Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion.
When has "A legitimate purposeful utilitarian need" really been the only reason to buy a knife. Well.....other than hunters and skinners?? Looks good Jerry!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

royal0014 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pmI've always wanted a hoof pick.
Well, you don't have to have a horse ....
you can always pick your own hooves with it !
::nod:: :lol:
Yeah, but I think I better not pick my nose with it. ::uc::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm I've always wanted a hoof pick. Don't know why. No association with horses since the last time I went riding while on vacation on The Dominican Republic several years ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have absolutely no need or use for one but as ~Q~ keeps reminding me, "The monkey wants what the monkey wants."

When has "A legitimate purposeful utilitarian need" really been the only reason to buy a knife. Well.....other than hunters and skinners?? Looks good Jerry!!
Smitty, you're being so logical. :D
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jerry, Christmas is coming, maybe you will get that pony you always wanted. I have to admit I like those knives too. ::nod:: ::nod::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Perfect tool to clean muddy boots with... ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice! I've been looking at purchasing that very one, even though I haven't been into horses in a while. Carried an inexpensive Cashel "Horseman's Knife" on me (it was ten bucks, about all I could afford as an 11 year old), and usually had a dedicated hoof pick in the barn. I had one a local blacksmith had made me out of a horseshoe, but have never used it. I mostly kept it displayed.
hknife.png
The Case is way too expensive to be something I'd actually clean a horse's hoof with and gunk up. The Cashel does work (and so well, it was usually my barn companion back then), but is too heavy to be a "pocket" knife. The clip point blade is nearly inaccessible--I did most of my cutting with the hoof trimming blade (the long, straight blade with the hooked/bent end), as it was easy to open. The Moore Maker (Bear and Son) and "Schrade" versions have modified (basically just unsharpened) gut hooks as hoof picks, and they can damage the fragile "frog" of a hoof. They are also completely the wrong shape due to not actually being hoof picks.

I wanted the Victorinox Equestrian when I was just getting into horses, but never got it (one, as my folks didn't order much back then, and it was a model not often found in the USA until recently--SMKW exclusive at the time; as that's the only place I found it). A couple years ago, Victorinox upgraded it from the old external "slide lock" to a liner lock (which means bigger pins), I plan to replace the straight edge two-hand open blade with a one-hand serrated blade (for cutting of stirrups in an emergency) and the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver. I just wish the hoof pick locked, since it's in the same position as the locking cap-lifter (but as with the gut hook on the "Hunter" model, it does not). That will probably take some filing if I do decide to make it lock.
SAK_0_8583__S1.png
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Nice! I've been looking at purchasing that very one, even though I haven't been into horses in a while. Carried an inexpensive Cashel "Horseman's Knife" on me (it was ten bucks, about all I could afford as an 11 year old), and usually had a dedicated hoof pick in the barn. I had one a local blacksmith had made me out of a horseshoe, but have never used it. I mostly kept it displayed.

hknife.png

The Case is way too expensive to be something I'd actually clean a horse's hoof with and gunk up. The Cashel does work (and so well, it was usually my barn companion back then), but is too heavy to be a "pocket" knife. The clip point blade is nearly inaccessible--I did most of my cutting with the hoof trimming blade (the long, straight blade with the hooked/bent end), as it was easy to open. The Moore Maker (Bear and Son) and "Schrade" versions have modified (basically just unsharpened) gut hooks as hoof picks, and they can damage the fragile "frog" of a hoof. They are also completely the wrong shape due to not actually being hoof picks.

I wanted the Victorinox Equestrian when I was just getting into horses, but never got it (one, as my folks didn't order much back then, and it was a model not often found in the USA until recently--SMKW exclusive at the time; as that's the only place I found it). A couple years ago, Victorinox upgraded it from the old external "slide lock" to a liner lock (which means bigger pins), I plan to replace the straight edge two-hand open blade with a one-hand serrated blade (for cutting of stirrups in an emergency) and the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver. I just wish the hoof pick locked, since it's in the same position as the locking cap-lifter (but as with the gut hook on the "Hunter" model, it does not). That will probably take some filing if I do decide to make it lock.

SAK_0_8583__S1.png
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393338782344?_ ... %3A2047675

Probably $20 with shipping & tax.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Adding another to my China Schrade collection, that is if USPS can find my mailbox.
A lockback 3OT.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:35 pm Adding another to my China Schrade collection, that is if USPS can find my mailbox.
A lockback 3OT.
A 3OT is one of my favorite EDC's, David. great little knife..
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Help! Someone save me from myself. I had hit my limit for September and then this steal & deal showed up on eBay. I put in a best offer and it was accepted. And the waiting begins.

Case 2020 Mini-Trapper in Amber Bone
Attachments
Case 2020 M-T amber bone.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm Help! Someone save me from myself. I had hit my limit for September and then this steal & deal showed up on eBay. I put in a best offer and it was accepted. And the waiting begins.

No biggie, Jerry. It just means one less for October... Yeah right.. :D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

toomanyknives wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:29 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm Help! Someone save me from myself. I had hit my limit for September and then this steal & deal showed up on eBay. I put in a best offer and it was accepted. And the waiting begins.

No biggie, Jerry. It just means one less for October... Yeah right.. :D
Riiggghht. ::skeptic::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I looked at my bank account, and I just got a charge from Shepherd Hills; so my Copperhead may be coming soon!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I WON!!!! ::ds::
I made a bid on this CASE Trapper on the Shepherd Hills website during their September auction and then never gave it a second thought. I had no expectations of winning it, but I just received a phone call from them confirming I won and it's in the mail!
8853XX.jpg
8853XX.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 pm I WON!!!! ::ds::
I made a bid on this CASE Trapper on the Shepherd Hills website during their September auction and then never gave it a second thought. I had no expectations of winning it, but I just received a phone call from them confirming I won and it's in the mail!
8853XX.jpg
Nice!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”