It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TPK

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by TPK »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 am
TPK wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:16 amWhat is the blade under it used for ?
It's a cuticle pusher, Tom.
::hmm:: Ok. Thanks for the Info. ::handshake:: Didn't know that. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 am
TPK wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:16 amWhat is the blade under it used for ?
It's a cuticle pusher, Tom.
It's what it's described now as. It used to be a pill counting/stirring blade, much like the long secondary blade on a doctor's knife.

There are two tools and a Wharncliffe blade on the MiniChamp that originated on models typically only seen with advertisements for pharmaceutical companies. These were produced by Victorinox for the pharmaceutical companies to give away--they are the "cuticle pusher" and the "orange peeler". My theory has been that when regulations were passed in the 1990s to limit how much stuff pharmaceutical companies could give to doctors, originally, the MiniChamp was conceived as a way to use up those tools they had in inventory, and it became a hit; enough so that it became a regular production model. It was later updated to have a bottle opener/small Phillips screwdriver, which MiniChamps originally didn't have.

The Wharncliffe "Emergency Blade" was designed as an emergency tracheotomy blade; and the "orange peeler" for cutting off the safety band and picking out the cotton on pill bottles. I use the Wharncliffe more than the pen blade, and the "orange peeler" I use as its original purpose (cutting safety bands off pill bottles) and for cutting clampack. The "cuticle pusher" is usually a pry tool and scraper.

Great score by the way! MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive! I own two Cellidor; one that is blue (repaired it using scales off one of my many Classics--pen scale cracked) and then one that is bog standard.
TPK

Post by TPK »

As always, very interesting & informative Cody! ::nod:: Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: :D I appreciate your posts! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive!
Indeed they are. However, you do occasionally get lucky. I was recently able to score a used (but still very usable) Cellidor model for less than $20 out-the-door.

One other thing to add: when the MiniChamp gained the bottle opener/screwdriver combo tool, a ballpoint pen replaced the toothpick.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive!
Indeed they are. However, you do occasionally get lucky. I was recently able to score a used (but still very usable) Cellidor model for less than $20 out-the-door.

One other thing to add: when the MiniChamp gained the bottle opener/screwdriver combo tool, a ballpoint pen replaced the toothpick.
::hmm:: So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting.
They sure did! I'll get some photos of mine soon.

Meanwhile, another one is on its way to me. I felt kinda sorry for this little Pony Jack, so I had to give it a good home!
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting.

Meanwhile, another one is on its way to me. I felt kinda sorry for this little Pony Jack, so I had to give it a good home!

s-l1600.jpg

Nice one! While I have Schrade's take on the "Pony Jack" (the 12OT), I'm going to have to get a Camillus.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've wanted a bit older German-made knife for an EDC. I wanted something that was new enough to where I didn't care about using it (this one appears to be '70s-80s) and is not even close to mint condition (a little beat up, but not bad). I wanted to avoid synthetic handles, too. I have no excuse to NOT carry this one. Last German-made, stag-handle knife I bought ended up getting stashed not long after I bought it (German Boker stag penknife).

Edge Mark (Solingen, Germany) 10-243 Stockman; in what I think may be stag handles. Total cost, $17. I have a bit older "Edge Brand" 460 my Granddad gave me, which is a small stag handle fixed blade with about a 3.5" blade.

Needs just a tiny bit of work (stabilizing a couple of small cracks, replacing the shield), but nothing that shouldn't be a complicated, drawn-out repair.

Anyone got any idea who could have made this for Gutmann?

s-l1600GEMS1.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:05 am I've wanted a bit older German-made knife for an EDC. I wanted something that was new enough to where I didn't care about using it (this one appears to be '70s-80s) and is not even close to mint condition (a little beat up, but not bad). I wanted to avoid synthetic handles, too. I have no excuse to NOT carry this one. Last German-made, stag-handle knife I bought ended up getting stashed not long after I bought it (German Boker stag penknife).

Edge Mark (Solingen, Germany) 10-243 Stockman; in what I think may be stag handles. Total cost, $17. I have a bit older "Edge Brand" 460 my Granddad gave me, which is a small stag handle fixed blade with about a 3.5" blade.

Needs just a tiny bit of work (stabilizing a couple of small cracks, replacing the shield), but nothing that shouldn't be a complicated, drawn-out repair.

s-l1600GEMS1.jpg

I would say Boker.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:03 am Nice one! While I have Schrade's take on the "Pony Jack" (the 12OT), I'm going to have to get a Camillus.
Thanks, Cody! The Camillus 21 is a great little knife, and often modestly priced. And your new German-made Stockman looks like a most excellent pick-up.

I don't have a 12OT (yet), but I did manage to score another 18OT. This one has some minor carbon spotting, but is said to be unused. It even includes the box and paperwork! ::ds::
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
USN 2000-2006
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:05 am I've wanted a bit older German-made knife for an EDC. I wanted something that was new enough to where I didn't care about using it (this one appears to be '70s-80s) and is not even close to mint condition (a little beat up, but not bad). I wanted to avoid synthetic handles, too. I have no excuse to NOT carry this one. Last German-made, stag-handle knife I bought ended up getting stashed not long after I bought it (German Boker stag penknife).

s-l1600GEMS1.jpg
My money is on Bertram aka Hen & Rooster. My source is : https://www.henandrooster.com/About/
"Carl Bertram's company continued manufacturing its fine cutlery under the leadership of several family members for many years. The original firm manufactured contract knives with Hen & Rooster on one side of the blade tang, and numerous other names on the reverse side. Bertram made these knives in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s for Carter Cutlery, Carter, Jeffrey, Kane, Voss, John-I-Son, Ky-Col, Gutmann Cutlery, Fife Cutlery, Mar-cal, A.G. Russell, L & N Loan Co. and Field & Co"
TPK

Post by TPK »

Just a wild guess Cody but Böker & Puma both use round shields that tend to fall out of the handles. ::hmm::
My guess would be Böker because I have seen knives that they made under contract for other companies but I'm no expert. I saw a stockman they made for a blue jeans company once. Don't know if Puma ever did any contract jobs or not. ::shrug::

Nice find! ::tu:: Looks like a cool stockman! :D

TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 pm

Your picking up some cool ponies Dan! ::nod:: ::tu::
The 180T & 120T are also pretty cool knives! ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 am Your picking up some cool ponies Dan! ::nod:: ::tu::
The 180T & 120T are also pretty cool knives! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Thanks, Tom! And yes indeed, the 12OT and 18OT are very cool.
USN 2000-2006
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

QTCut5 declared that some of his Mini Trapper herd was going up for sale, and I had to snag this one. The toasted gray bone really spoke to me. Hopefully the Monkey will find solace in knowing that it is going to a good home!
Toasted Gray Bone.JPG
USN 2000-2006
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 pm QTCut5 declared that some of his Mini Trapper herd was going up for sale, and I had to snag this one. The toasted gray bone really spoke to me. Hopefully the Monkey will find solace in knowing that it is going to a good home!

Toasted Gray Bone.JPG
Very nice Dan!! ::tu:: ::tu:: :lol:
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 pm QTCut5 declared that some of his Mini Trapper herd was going up for sale, and I had to snag this one. The toasted gray bone really spoke to me. Hopefully the Monkey will find solace in knowing that it is going to a good home!

Toasted Gray Bone.JPG
Sweet Score Dan! ::tu:: ::nod:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: That's a real beauty! :D

They tempted me too but the distance between Germany & Hawaii & figuring out how to get money to him makes it all just seem too complicated for me to mess with. It's better if I just stick to eBay. :)

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks, Tom and Smitty. I'm really looking forward to receiving that one!
USN 2000-2006
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 pm Hopefully the Monkey will find solace in knowing that it is going to a good home!
Dan...I hope you read the 'fine print' on the sales contract...particularly the part wherein Mini-T Monkey maintains random, unannounced, 24/7/365 visitation rights in perpetuity. :lol:
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:05 am I hope you read the 'fine print' on the sales contract...particularly the part wherein Mini-T Monkey maintains random, unannounced, 24/7/365 visitation rights in perpetuity. :lol:
And the right to have his relatives affix themselves to my back, too! :lol:
USN 2000-2006
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Speaking of those pesky monkeys, a new billing period on my Master Card presented an opportunity to grab this Black Alox Pioneer off eBay. Should be here on Tuesday. ::fc::
Seller's picture of course.
Attachments
Pioneer Black Listing Pic.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Toasted Gray Bone.JPG
You're going to be glad you got it, Dan. No buyers remorse comes with that bad boy.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

This one won't be in the mail but the wife and I are taking our annual "river drive" today. Gonna stop by Grand Prairie Knives as part of the trip. I plan to come home with this Buck 055.
Attachments
Buck 055.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:43 pm This one won't be in the mail but the wife and I are taking our annual "river drive" today. Gonna stop by Grand Prairie Knives as part of the trip. I plan to come home with this Buck 055.
That's a sweet little feller Rick. I think you'll be very pleased with it. Enjoy your drive.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:37 am Speaking of those pesky monkeys, a new billing period on my Master Card presented an opportunity to grab this Black Alox Pioneer off eBay. Should be here on Tuesday. ::fc::
Seller's picture of course.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Good choice Jerry!

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:43 pm This one won't be in the mail but the wife and I are taking our annual "river drive" today. Gonna stop by Grand Prairie Knives as part of the trip. I plan to come home with this Buck 055.
Sweet looking Buck Rick!! ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “General Knife Discussion”