It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had made up my mind, no more this month but ~Q~ tempted me with this one. I'm so weak. ::facepalm:: It was the horseshoe shield that did it. I didn't have one.
Attachments
2014 Case 6207 Horseshoe.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

Over the last year I caught the E-Bay bug and have been buying old barlows with bone handles that are in decent shape for $30 or less. Lots of fun and not too expensive a habit.
Last night a Case USA moose pattern, very much used and worn, jumped in one bid from $40 or so to $4150 and sold for $4200.
What was going on?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 pm I had made up my mind, no more this month but ~Q~ tempted me with this one. I'm so weak. ::facepalm:: It was the horseshoe shield that did it. I didn't have one.
That's a looker Jerryd! That horse shoe shield really kicks it. That sack of mini trappers has got to be approaching the same mass as that 15 pound sack of 72's :-D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 pm I had made up my mind, no more this month but ~Q~ tempted me with this one. I'm so weak. ::facepalm:: It was the horseshoe shield that did it. I didn't have one.
Very nice looking Jerry! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

sugarcreek wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:27 pm Over the last year I caught the E-Bay bug and have been buying old barlows with bone handles that are in decent shape for $30 or less. Lots of fun and not too expensive a habit.
Last night a Case USA moose pattern, very much used and worn, jumped in one bid from $40 or so to $4150 and sold for $4200.
What was going on?
Absolutely crazy isn't it. ::shrug::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gsmith7158 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 pm
That's a looker Jerryd! That horse shoe shield really kicks it. That sack of mini trappers has got to be approaching the same mass as that 15 pound sack of 72's :-D
Actually Greg, the Mini-T sack now outweighs the 72 sack. ::facepalm:: I didn't see that one coming.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite. I got this one to replace another that came in a lot that is giving me a pain in the rear sharpening due to a bent tip and a blunted edge due to prior owner using a pull through.

At $25, it's not breaking the bank. The Mini Tuff Lite has to be my favorite small folder. Carries like a small one (3 1/8" closed; and has a pocket clip), but when "big knife" jobs come up, it handles them as well. It's also made in Taiwan; NOT China. I wanted something other than black, and it just so happened red was cheaper than the other colors.
61A6PHt4WRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:35 pm Great looking additions everyone! ::tu::

I like that Western Jerry! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

I just picked up my first Eisenhower pen knife (2009 & unused). A pattern I believe I'll really like. ::hmm:: :D
Nice one Tom! I have a mid '80s example that is brown Delrin. It's just enough bigger than the standard 2 3/4" penknife to be useful.

It existed long before Eisenhower, but wasn't known as such until after his administration. It was his favorite Case pattern, and he gave them as gifts during his presidency.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The bone and the shield looks great on that one!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:05 pm After going through a period of waffling and deleting it from my eBay watch list, unable to make a decision whether or not to buy one of these RR Southwest Bow Trappers, I sank into the darkness of the abyss this morning and placed one on order. I had decided I wasn't going to buy any knives this month but my justification was it will go well with the other three RR Bow Trappers I already have. ::facepalm:: As Ray Stevens sang in the song "The Mississippi Squirrel Revival", "The devil got a-hold on me".

s-l1600.jpg

In case you've never heard "The Mississippi Squirrel Revival" before -----------------

They are so hard to resist. I can get 4-5 average Rough Ryders for the cost of the average Case knife, and they produce patterns that many American cutlery companies no longer produce, or are unique to Rough Ryder.
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:35 pm Great looking additions everyone! ::tu::

I like that Western Jerry! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

I just picked up my first Eisenhower pen knife (2009 & unused). A pattern I believe I'll really like. ::hmm:: :D
Nice one Tom! I have a mid '80s example that is brown Delrin. It's just enough bigger than the standard 2 3/4" penknife to be useful.

It existed long before Eisenhower, but wasn't known as such until after his administration. It was his favorite Case pattern, and he gave them as gifts during his presidency.
Thanks Cody! ::handshake:: Appreciate it Buddy! ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I've been looking at these Watchman brand knives and decided to go ahead
and get one of them just to check out their quality. I know nothing about them.
Attachments
61tgDBCU-uL._AC_.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:36 am I've been looking at these Watchman brand knives and decided two go ahead
Let us know what you think when they arrive. They look good. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Another month and a fresh credit card balance of zero $$ (as soon as I pay off last month :lol: ) is a dangerous time around here.

Just placed on order:
They should all be here by the first of next week.
A steal and deal on eBay, I read this one as 1982 (with John's help). What say ye? Am I reading it correctly? Missing the shield but I should be able to get a replacement from Case. I also think the handles are Delrin. ::shrug:: I'll know more when it gets here.
Case 1972 Mini-Trapper 6207 SP SSP - Mark.jpg
Case 1972 Mini-Trapper 6207 SP SSP - Sellers Pic Tang Stamps.jpg
I'm kinda hooked on the cigar band iteration and didn't have this one, soooooooo.........
wwCA65103_4.jpg
This Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite - Blue kinda spoke to me. Probably in a foreign language but still.............
s-l1600.jpg
This one is for the latest addition to the family, my third Great-Grandson due to show his puckered little face January 8th.
Rough Rider RR1636 Brown Leather Skinner.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a 1984, Jerry. Cool 4-pack. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks John. Now I see it, but I think it's a 1982. There are two extra stars next to the SS or are my eyes deceiving me.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I'm doing an experiment.

Up to now I have only collected vintage knives or higher end collector's knives. But on a lark, I bought a giant Rough Ryder trapper, and I was just as happy with that $30 knife as I've been spending $200 or more. I also have a really nice set of Japanese culinary knives... spent a fortune on them. Then for Christmas last year, I bought a friend a Chinese chef's knife made with high grade Japanese steel and a beautiful rosewood handle. Before I gave it to him, I tried it out myself, and damn if that knife didn't perform as well as the knives I owned that cost five times as much.

So I went to youtube and started watching the knife collecting videos I've always skipped over... the ones about inexpensive Chinese made knives. There were people there who were really enthusiastic about these knives and actually used them. So took the money I had been saving for a Great Eastern Cutlery knife and I created a shopping list based on the highly recommended knives. It's going to be like Christmas when all this arrives. I'm curious to see if these knives ring my bell as well as fancy ones. I suspect they just might. If that is the case, my collecting focus is going to change.

Here is what I ordered...

Rough Ryder Stockman VG-10
RRStockmanvg10.jpg
Rough Ryder Large Stockman Brown Stag Bone
RRlargestockmanbrownstagbone.jpg
Rough Ryder Buckshot Bone Copperhead
RRbuckshotbonecopperhead.jpg
Marble's Scout King Canterbury
MR468MarblesScoutKingCanterbury.jpg
Rough Ryder Reserve 002 Kayak
RRR002kayak.jpg
Rough Ryder Reserve 003 Swell Center Whittler
RRR003swellcenterwhittler.jpg
Rough Ryder Reserve 005 Hedgehog
RRR005hedgehog.jpg
RRR005hedgehog.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Rough Ryder Reserve 008 Common Stock
RRR008commonstock.jpg
Rough Ryder Reserve 009 Easy Open Sway
rrr009easyopensway.jpg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

How do you say 'bender' in Chinese ??
::smirk::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

royal0014 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:23 pm How do you say 'bender' in Chinese ??
::smirk::
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

They do make some good knives! I have a few of then, and also some Frost Cutlery knives that are good knives as well.
I personally liked the look of the Rough Ryders better before they stamped the "R" on the bolsters, but some of those you showed have some really beautiful bones!
I truly wish that there were more affordable US-made knives.
While I am at it, I also wish that the PRC government would care more for their own people, and could be allies of ours instead of rivals. I love their people, but not their leadership.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Reverand wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:37 am They do make some good knives! I have a few of then, and also some Frost Cutlery knives that are good knives as well.
I personally liked the look of the Rough Ryders better before they stamped the "R" on the bolsters, but some of those you showed have some really beautiful bones!
I truly wish that there were more affordable US-made knives.
While I am at it, I also wish that the PRC government would care more for their own people, and could be allies of ours instead of rivals. I love their people, but not their leadership.
Reverand the PRC would like to care for you as well. All you have to do is submit! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:40 pm Another month and a fresh credit card balance of zero $$ (as soon as I pay off last month :lol: ) is a dangerous time around here.

Just placed on order:
They should all be here by the first of next week.
A steal and deal on eBay, I read this one as 1982 (with John's help). What say ye? Am I reading it correctly? Missing the shield but I should be able to get a replacement from Case. I also think the handles are Delrin. ::shrug:: I'll know more when it gets here.
Case 1972 Mini-Trapper 6207 SP SSP - Mark.jpg
Case 1972 Mini-Trapper 6207 SP SSP - Sellers Pic Tang Stamps.jpg

I'm kinda hooked on the cigar band iteration and didn't have this one, soooooooo.........
wwCA65103_4.jpg

This Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite - Blue kinda spoke to me. Probably in a foreign language but still.............
s-l1600.jpg

This one is for the latest addition to the family, my third Great-Grandson due to show his puckered little face January 8th.
Rough Rider RR1636 Brown Leather Skinner.jpg
Nice group!

The Mini Tuff Lite is a pretty darn good little knife. I have been carrying the red one above since the day it arrived, and I'm impressed at the amount of heavy work such a small knife can do. Carries like a small knife, but works and has the ergonomics open and in use of a big knife.

That RR may end up being bought next time I go on an RR bender. When they're as cheap as they are, you tend to buy patterns that you normally didn't plan on getting. The average full-size Case two-three blade knife is $55. I can get about 6 RRs for that.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Found this one online today. It look interesting so I went ahead and ordered it.
Should be here on Monday ????
Attachments
31jtTiICUyL._AC_.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:45 pm Found this one online today. It look interesting so I went ahead and ordered it.
Should be here on Monday ????
That's a gorgeous Barlow David, ::tu:: please be sure to post real-life pictures when it arrives! 8)
8)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:36 am I've been looking at these Watchman brand knives and decided to go ahead
I know nothing at all about that brand of knife, but I know that is an awesome picture! Well done, Chief! ::tu::
Ike

Return to “General Knife Discussion”