It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cudgee

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 am
cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:14 am I was really interested in the new GEC Angus Sheepsfoot, and from what i have seen of those that have managed to get one so far they are beautiful knives, but nearly impossible for me to get one. But have been eyeing off a Sheepsfoot with walnut covers that i really like for a while, so bit the bullet and purchased one of them instead. It's in the mail, and i must say i am exited waiting for it's arrival, my first knife purchase this year. ::groove::

Sounds like a great choice!

I've been looking at getting the Schrade #175, which is the same idea as the Angus, but at a fraction of the cost. Thinking I will get it rescaled with something more akin to what the GEC usually wears.
That is a great idea, one thing about hunting around and looking for not common covers is you end up with something a bit more unique. Even with GEC's limited releases, there are still a fair few with the same covers, the way your are doing it is something of your choice. Go ahead and do it, and post before and after photos. ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

Channellock #11, a Camillus #27. Looks to be perfectly mint; and was never carried. Appears to only have some spotting from poor storage. Camillus produced the Channellock #10 (a #1 Hawkbill), and the #11. I have so many other #27s in usually rough condition knocking about between my truck, different toolboxes and kits, and the half dozen different users (some are actually Klein, Schrade, and Colonial), the Channellock version had to be mint, as it would be a collection knife. These weren't stainless. A Channellock blue version that was a Channellock Racing knife exists, but is uncommon. I first discovered it when I saw an odd (worn) blue one for $20, but thought someone painted the handle. Found one in lightly used shape for $40 with those blue handles, and I'm contemplating it. Also discovered that there is an Ideal branded version, but the one I found was rough, and it's too new for me to accept in that condition.

Only paid less than $20 for this one.

s-l1600C11.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

Channellock #11, a Camillus #27. Looks to be perfectly mint; and was never carried. Appears to only have some spotting from poor storage. Camillus produced the Channellock #10 (a #1 Hawkbill), and the #11. I have so many other #27s in usually rough condition knocking about between my truck, different toolboxes and kits, and the half dozen different users (some are actually Klein, Schrade, and Colonial), the Channellock version had to be mint, as it would be a collection knife. These weren't stainless. A Channellock blue version that was a Channellock Racing knife exists, but is uncommon. I first discovered it when I saw an odd (worn) blue one for $20, but thought someone painted the handle. Found one in lightly used shape for $40 with those blue handles, and I'm contemplating it. Also discovered that there is an Ideal branded version, but the one I found was rough, and it's too new for me to accept in that condition.

s-l1600C11.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am Channellock #11, a Camillus #27.

::tu:: And don't forget about the Xcelite!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 am
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
Thanks for all the info! Yep this one had been used just enough to lose the etch, but that's OK for the price I got it for. It's about the same age I am, but it's in much better shape!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:22 am
cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am Channellock #11, a Camillus #27.

::tu:: And don't forget about the Xcelite!
That's next on the list, when I can find a mint one. Searching for Xcelite or Ideal brings up a lot of Colonial; as after Camillus went under, they went to the "revived" Colonial for their knife lines.

For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:

Craftsman 9560 (stamped; some are actually Schrades, so confusing there if you're unable to look at the pins; as I think they both had the 9560 model number)
Channellock #11 (etch only)
Holub (stamp, the 249 was made by Schrade, but the rest appear to be Camillus products)
Ideal 35-285 (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives)
Xcelite K-22/K-22V (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives under K-22V)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:
Thanks for that list. I have an unused Camillus 27 with an etch/inking; pretty sure it's an Xcelite. Should I find another unused one, I'll let you know.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm That's next on the list, when I can find a mint one. Searching for Xcelite or Ideal brings up a lot of Colonial; as after Camillus went under, they went to the "revived" Colonial for their knife lines.

For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:

Craftsman 9560 (stamped; some are actually Schrades, so confusing there if you're unable to look at the pins; as I think they both had the 9560 model number)
Channellock #11 (etch only)
Holub (stamp, the 249 was made by Schrade, but the rest appear to be Camillus products)
Ideal 35-285 (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives)
Xcelite K-22/K-22V (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives under K-22V)
Dan In MI wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm Thanks for that list. I have an unused Camillus 27 with an etch/inking; pretty sure it's an Xcelite. Should I find another unused one, I'll let you know.
There are Camillus 27 and also Klien Tools Electricians knife (same style as the 27) with the Xcelite blade etch.

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 am There are Camillus 27 and also Klien Tools Electricians knife (same style as the 27) with the Xcelite blade etch.
Correct. All of my Xcelites (I think I have three) have the Camillus tang stamp.
USN 2000-2006
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
That's a perfect coin pocket knife, David! BTW, I really enjoyed your website. And what a collection!! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

s-l1600C11.jpg
Hard to beat a good electricians knife, Cody! ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

toomanyknives wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
That's a perfect coin pocket knife, David! BTW, I really enjoyed your website. And what a collection!! ::tu::
Glad you enjoyed it, I need to do some more work like adding some new knife photo's and some new resource videos. Thanks for visiting it. ::tu::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

bu5717_5.jpg
Nice score! I normally don't like Chinese knives, but these are surprisingly solid for how little they cost.

I've heard a lot of people say "420J2 is crap". It may be rather soft, but it does hold an edge for a decent amount of time, and is easy to resharpen. Not to mention, practically rustproof.

I gave my grandmother mine, and it's held up well. Need to buy another one. Lowe's still has them for peanuts.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

bu5717_5.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Good one David. A good knife for the watch pocket, well..... unless you carry a watch in it. :)

Smitty
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 am
bu5717_5.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Good one David. A good knife for the watch pocket, well..... unless you carry a watch in it. :)
::tu::

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

So Smitty, I forgot I had this knife (sad, I know). I think the family connection between my new Craftsman and Ulster is definite now. This is an Ulster Cattle Stockman that I picked up years ago. Quite a family resemblance I'd say...
IMG_1816 (2).JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cousins maybe. ::nod:: ::shrug::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

doglegg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 am Cousins maybe. ::nod:: ::shrug::
True dat, Dlegg!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am
So Smitty, I forgot I had this knife (sad, I know). I think the family connection between my new Craftsman and Ulster is definite now. This is an Ulster Cattle Stockman that I picked up years ago. Quite a family resemblance I'd say...
IMG_1816 (2).JPG
::tu:: ::tu:: Yeppers.

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sweet duo t-m-k! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm Sweet duo t-m-k! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D
Thanks Tom!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've always wanted a hoof pick. Don't know why. No association with horses since the last time I went riding while on vacation on The Dominican Republic several years ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have absolutely no need or use for one but as ~Q~ keeps reminding me, "The monkey wants what the monkey wants."

Decided this was cheap enough to add one to the pile on a whim. It's a Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion.
Attachments
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion Closed.jpg
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion.jpg
Cattleman's Cutlery Farriers Companion Mark.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pmI've always wanted a hoof pick.
Well, you don't have to have a horse ....
you can always pick your own hooves with it !
::nod:: :lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “General Knife Discussion”