It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TPK

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by TPK »

Fathers Day in Germany is on May 13th this year. My wife let me pick out a knife for the occasion. ::tu::
She's a great wife! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Anyways, had my eyes on this one for a while so I picked out this RR Premium Select Stockman. The handles are made with Buffalo Horn, Black Pearl, Abalone & Nickle Silver Spacers. Back springs are with file work. ::tu:: Can't wait to see it. ::super_happy::

Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-05-02T194246.601.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-05-02T194306.595.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm Fathers Day in Germany is on May 13th this year. My wife let me pick out a knife for the occasion. ::tu::

Anyways, had my eyes on this one for a while so I picked out this RR Premium Select Stockman. The handles are made with Buffalo Horn, Black Pearl, Abalone & Nickle Silver Spacers. Back springs are with file work. ::tu:: Can't wait to see it. ::super_happy::

Oh. I have one of those in the Mini-Trapper pattern. You're going to like it. Very classy.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Stanley USA Yankee Handyman 133H push-drill and an assortment of fluted drill bits and slotted bits. $28. I figure this will be good for precise and tight jobs, as well as a decent driver. The problem is that Phillips bits for these are incredibly expensive--like $10-15 at least. A guy sells $30 adapters that allows one to use common 1/4 drive bits with these, and that's what I'm gonna go with.

s-l1600YKRAC.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm Fathers Day in Germany is on May 13th this year. My wife let me pick out a knife for the occasion. ::tu::

Man, that's a slick one, Tom! I have a few Buffalo Horn Case knives, and man are they proud of them! I think you'll really like that one!
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 pm Stanley USA Yankee Handyman 133H push-drill and an assortment of fluted drill bits and slotted bits. $28. I figure this will be good for precise and tight jobs, as well as a decent driver. The problem is that Phillips bits for these are incredibly expensive--like $10-15 at least. A guy sells $30 adapters that allows one to use common 1/4 drive bits with these, and that's what I'm gonna go with.
Cool find Cody! ::tu::

Buy yourself a $5 bit holder for normal bits and grind it to fit inside the Stanly. ::shrug:: ::hmm::
A guy at work did that for a multitoll he has. I think it was a Leatherman. ::hmm:: May not be an easy task but it is possible. ::nod:: Of course I'm lazy, I'd buy the adapter for $30. ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:53 pm
TPK wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 pm Fathers Day in Germany...,
Oh. I have one of those in the Mini-Trapper pattern. You're going to like it. Very classy.
This was the only one of them I have seen over here & it's been up for sale for a while. Hope your right about it Jerry. If I'm not Happy with it, I'll be done with RR. ::hmm::

TPK

Post by TPK »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 pm
Man, that's a slick one, Tom! I have a few Buffalo Horn Case knives, and man are they proud of them! I think you'll really like that one!
Thank ya Sir! ::handshake:: :D
I like knives with horn handles. ::nod:: Looking forward to checking out the F&F. It sure looks nice on the two pictures the seller posted. ::nod:: It was under $30 so I could even EDC it without having a bad conscience about it. :lol:

bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

cody6268 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 pm Stanley USA Yankee Handyman 133H push-drill and an assortment of fluted drill bits and slotted bits. $28. I figure this will be good for precise and tight jobs, as well as a decent driver. The problem is that Phillips bits for these are incredibly expensive--like $10-15 at least. A guy sells $30 adapters that allows one to use common 1/4 drive bits with these, and that's what I'm gonna go with.

s-l1600YKRAC.jpg
Cody, congrats on finding your Yankee driver. My dad had one in his toolbox. It’s the original cordless screwdriver :D
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:47 am
I like knives with horn handles. ::nod:: Looking forward to checking out the F&F. It sure looks nice on the two pictures the seller posted. ::nod:: It was under $30 so I could even EDC it without having a bad conscience about it. :lol:
Under $30? Amazing!
TPK

Post by TPK »

toomanyknives wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Under $30? Amazing!
::shrug:: 24,04€ or $25,97 shipped. Good price? ::shrug::

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Under $30? Amazing!
::shrug:: 24,04€ or $25,97 shipped. Good price? ::shrug::
It's just amazing to me that they can build and sell a knife like that for so little..
TPK

Post by TPK »

Found another one. Baby Copperhead. ::dang:: It's in the mail. ::dang:: ::doh:: ::facepalm:: ::shrug::
That's it! Broke for the rest of the month! ::facepalm:: ::doh:: ::uc::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-05-03T191041.111.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-05-03T191025.611.jpg

TPK

Post by TPK »

They will look good together though! :lol: ::nod:: :lol:

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

TPK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:15 pm Found another one. Baby Copperhead. ::dang:: It's in the mail. ::dang:: ::doh:: ::facepalm:: ::shrug::
Wow, can't believe the file worked spring and Buffalo horn. Congrats. And the cigar band looks great. Fine score, great looking piece.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
TPK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:15 pm Found another one. Baby Copperhead. ::dang:: It's in the mail. ::dang:: ::doh:: ::facepalm:: ::shrug::
Wow, can't believe the file worked spring and Buffalo horn. Congrats. And the cigar band looks great. Fine score, great looking piece.
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Appreciate it! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Just looked at the mini trappers on US eBay. They look great! ::tu:: Hope I can find one of them over here. ::nod::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

That penknife looks great! I remember when I was first getting into RRs in my late teens (19-20) Magic Mart (a local department store that went under in 2018) carried the turquoise ones. Low prices on those too if I recall.

Well, I finished my college classes for the year, maintaining an "A" average--and also made a 92 on my last test, actually my highest grade on a test (worst I did was high Bs--88s) So, to reward myself, I decided to get a sort of rare electrician. It was one of that hybrid buy-it-now/auciton listings. Seller's list price--$50. I got it for $25, $30 counting shipping.

Holub 249 by Schrade. Holub was a manufacturer of electrician's tools; like Klein. They sold spear point and hawkbill-bladed two blade electricians from Camillus, and then this oddity. Seller claims 1940s, but that's VERY wrong. I'm not too knowledgeable about the Holubs, but I believe these with the yellow handle were produced in the '70s. Not only is the yellow handle unusual, it also has three wire stripping notches in the screwdriver blade, and a sort of texturing to make the screwdriver tip bite better.
$_57(2).JPG

I have my sights set on an affordable Sears Craftsman 9561. That one is odd in that a saw has been added as opposed to just the two blades or a hawkbill blade added. I think Schrade made that one as well, but I'm unsure.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Estimated delivery Sat, May 8
3½" closed
Attachments
s-l1600 (3) L.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:40 pm Estimated delivery Sat, May 8
3½" closed
I like that, Jerry. A little slimmer version of a whittler. And Rockwell tested too, it appears. ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Some Marbles items from SMKW.

Dave Canterbury Scout King. 4 1/4 closed". I decided to see just how a big Scout knife would be in EDC without blowing the $50-60 a Remington 4243 from Camillus goes for these days. This was $15. What's unusual to me is the sewing eye in the awl. Has a 3" blade. From the photos, I thought it just had a regular Scout blade, but no. Good one to take on camping trips, carry as a work knife, and if I lose or break it, big deal. Marbles and RR are probably the sole Chinese-made knife I don't mind buying.
mr468.jpg
Demo Knife clone. At $7, I decided it was worth a shot.

mr278_2.jpg

Gun Tool Screwdriver. These are a copy of one Colt sold in the '60s and '70, which was sorta based on the old 4-in-1 Craftsman is known for, but they only had three tips, with the smallest for adjusting sights. The Craftsman is no longer made in the USA and is crap. Same cost, same country of origin. These appear to have somewhat better formed tips, and a long chain that I can use as a backup for neck knives. I bought two, as I lose my Craftsman ones constantly.
mr428.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

3½" closed
Nice! Unlike everything else Frost makes, Steel Warrior knives for the most part (except a rubber-handle Buck clone, now that was crap) are decent usable knives. A mark below RR, but still usable. I am looking for an affordable Whittler as an EDC to try the pattern, and that may be it.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Leatherman finally did what I've been asking them to do for about seven years now--make an affordable model similar to the PST. Just released this week; it's called the Bond. At $50 shipped, it's not too expensive either. It does lose that extra small screwdriver the original has (which has saved my arse multiple times when the lens popped out), but in its place I gain the square shank Phillips I can use with an adapter to be able to use any bit I want. Plus, it has compatibility with the Free series pocket clip; which pretty much if you want a clip on the PST, you'll have to make or modify an existing clip. Has the same pliers head as the older pre-Plus Wave, which I really like.

I can use the same pocket clip as on my Free T2. I dislike the Free T2, and am not paying $10 for another clip, so I'll just use the one off of that.
s-l1600LNIBB.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:39 pm Leatherman finally did what I've been asking them to do for about seven years now--make an affordable model similar to the PST. Just released this week; it's called the Bond. At $50 shipped, it's not too expensive either. It does lose that extra small screwdriver the original has (which has saved my arse multiple times when the lens popped out), but in its place I gain the square shank Phillips I can use with an adapter to be able to use any bit I want. Plus, it has compatibility with the Free series pocket clip; which pretty much if you want a clip on the PST, you'll have to make or modify an existing clip. Has the same pliers head as the older pre-Plus Wave, which I really like.

I can use the same pocket clip as on my Free T2. I dislike the Free T2, and am not paying $10 for another clip, so I'll just use the one off of that.

s-l1600LNIBB.jpg

Cody, is this one American made?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

edge213 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm
cody6268 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:39 pm Leatherman finally did what I've been asking them to do for about seven years now--make an affordable model similar to the PST. Just released this week; it's called the Bond. At $50 shipped, it's not too expensive either. It does lose that extra small screwdriver the original has (which has saved my arse multiple times when the lens popped out), but in its place I gain the square shank Phillips I can use with an adapter to be able to use any bit I want. Plus, it has compatibility with the Free series pocket clip; which pretty much if you want a clip on the PST, you'll have to make or modify an existing clip. Has the same pliers head as the older pre-Plus Wave, which I really like.

s-l1600LNIBB.jpg

Cody, is this one American made?

Leatherman isn't very clear.

At least assembled in USA with some parts made here. I know LM does source certain parts from Mexico (pliers on certain models) and Taiwan (the screwdriver bits), but a lot of the parts are made here.

The Frees have enough parts to where the blade and pliers are both marked "Leatherman USA" like the old tools; but I don't know about this new model.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

3½" closed
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “General Knife Discussion”