Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Ivoryman wrote:Low light/high light: Moki Kronos.

Ivoryman, a Moki Kronos is beautiful in any light. I haven’t seen one yet I didn’t want to take home with me.
Nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:P1030297 (2).JPGP1030298 (2).JPG
Very Very Nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Gary, when you say they will be on display, does that mean they won’t be for sale? Just curious. I’m still a maybe on the blade show.
Mark
Mark they will be outside the sells area in the front lobby with all the Display's . I will have other AL-Mar's at my sale's Table 12T . Hope you can make it always a great show wear good shoe's

Gary, Be sure to let us know what you find out about the future of Al Mar please.
Mark
Mark They didn't have a Catalog for there knives was not impressed with the Chinese line but they are come out with some of the older patterns again . I want be a buyer right now
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote: Mark they will be outside the sells area in the front lobby with all the Display's . I will have other AL-Mar's at my sale's Table 12T . Hope you can make it always a great show wear good shoe's

Gary, Be sure to let us know what you find out about the future of Al Mar please.
Mark
Mark They didn't have a Catalog for there knives was not impressed with the Chinese line but they are come out with some of the older patterns again . I want be a buyer right now

Are their Chinese knives on their site yet?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Mark

Are their Chinese knives on their site yet?
Not sure but they had some there at the show in their display
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Saw a new release from Mcusta for the winter of 2019 that was quite a looker on my bucket list :D ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
Mcusta 005.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Saw a new release from Mcusta for the winter of 2019 that was quite a looker on my bucket list :D ::tu:: ::tu::

Gary, I can’t wait to get my hands on that one. You know, it is impossible to budget and plan knife collecting . I keep finding myself buying knives thinking the time to buy is when it’s available. No plan, no order, no budget. I have got to sell some to make up for all the thousands I’ve spent on knives lately. Regardless, that new Mcusta will be planned and budgeted for.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Here is my Sere collection still need a few to get them all ,Post them in Fixed Blade also
Attachments
Sere 3008A
Sere 3008A
Two Sere 3006 TP Serration & Serration
Two Sere 3006 TP Serration & Serration
4 Sere 3001's Different Handles 6 Sere II with 3 Auto's One Sere Attack Green Micarta
4 Sere 3001's Different Handles 6 Sere II with 3 Auto's One Sere Attack Green Micarta
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very fine collection Gary.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:A very fine collection Gary.
Thanks QS still looking for a few to complete the Sere's ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gary, That Sere Series looks to be one of the best defensive and offensive knives I’ve ever seen. I’m sure these are well balanced and feel great in hand. You can see the quality is top notch.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gary’s post about the new Mcusta sent me looking at the Japanese Knife Direct website, looks like they have added several new Mcusta models back in April. One of the new models is a Higonokami by Mcusta. Here is a picture of it. Very interesting.
They have made some changes to existing models and added some new ones. I will try to post a few more in the future. In the mean time here is the website: http://japaneseknifedirect.com/McustaNewProducts.html .
I have found that Gary Kennedy can get these Mcusta’s for you for less than JKD. FYI.
Attachments
IMG_0770.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are a few more of the new Mcusta’s that are either available now or will be soon. I’m liking the looks of the hammered Tsuchime finish on these.
It also looks like they are upgrading some existing models. Some that had a VG-10 core and San Mai Blade are coming out with VG-10 core and 33 layer Damascus blade. They also have another line with family crests, instead of using stainless handles on these they are using Pakkawood and Micarta.
Attachments
MC-0121D%20(1)_R.jpg
IMG_3744_R.jpg
MC-0182G%20(1)_R.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Those are some interesting models. I wonder how Corian works as a handle. Am thinking it would be too slick. But perhaps not. Thanks for posting these Mark.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Those are some interesting models. I wonder how Corian works as a handle. Am thinking it would be too slick. But perhaps not. Thanks for posting these Mark.

Garry, I know Mcusta makes some models with Corian, and I would think that would be a bit slick to hold onto also. I suppose they can make with a non-slick surface texture. It would be great if someone who owns one would post about it.
They changed one of the MC-3 series I worked hard last year to collect. They went and made this with the VG-10 core with 33 layer Damascus instead of the VG-10 core San Mai. I thought it was funny that they didn’t make it that way in the first place, but I think that has raised the price to a point that they must have been conscious of the price and went with a less expensive blade. This is my favorite Mcusta. I included a picture of my two favorites and the picture of the new version for comparison.
Attachments
IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_3693_R.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

There are some indications that it is difficult to get San Mai. Don't know the reason why.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:There are some indications that it is difficult to get San Mai. Don't know the reason why.

When the core is VG-10 on both, it really doesn’t matter what jackets it’s in. It would take a lot of sharpening to get past the core and into the other materials. I do like the looks of the Damascus better. Wonder what the problem is with getting San Mai?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a new model Corian handled Mcusta. These are priced lower than most Mcusta's.
Also is a black Micarta handled Mcusta. This was a model I thought I was buying last year and when it came it was the same as the one they are now calling blue Micarta which is the last picture put up. I like this black bamboo motif.
Attachments
MC-0019D%20(6)_R.jpg
MC-0126G%20(1)_R.jpg
IMG_9451.jpg
MC-0010V%20(1)_R.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I saw an interview with Lynn Thompson and he was explaining that he could no longer get enough San Mai for particular models requiring him to change some of the steel used. No explanation as to the cause.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

i Thought I would post some information about some new product from Mcusta. I’ve been asked before about Mcusta’s and a hole instead of a thumb stud on the blade. The MC-12 series is the Mcusta that offers both a version with a hole and a thumb stud. New are the two exotic wood handle materials. Here is the description from the website;
The MC-12 Series Tactility Elite Folders are elegant yet functional tactical knives with anodized ambidextrous thmb studs or thumb hole. They use a locking liner for a secure lock and are available with a variety of exotic handle materials. The blades are SPG2 Powder steel San Mai with Tsuchime finish or VG-10 core forged with 33 layers Damascus stainless steel and have a special oiled washer system for smooth action. The MC-12 series comes with a decorative pocket clip that is reversible and is designed to allow the knife to be carried low in your pocket with the tip-up for quick deployment.

3-1/2" Hollow ground SPG2 San Mai or 33 layer Damascus steel forged with a VG-10 core with long false edge on back and thumb opening studs (both sides) or thumb hole, 4-1/2" Hand contoured Exotic handle with Stainless steel liners and Pocket clip on back, Each in a gift box

SPG2 San Mai or VG-10 Damascus blade in 3.0mm thick, 93mm blade, 205mm in open, Weight 110g
Attachments
IMG_3713_R.jpg
IMG_3721_R.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I studied these two knives for a while trying to decide which I favored. Finally gave up. Both have great appeal.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QS, these are all nice. I haven’t seen a Mcusta I wouldn’t want to have.
Here is another new addition. These are two new additions to the MC-7 Series. First is an addition to the bamboo motif done in exotic hardwoods that they call “Shinra emotion”. The second is also a hardwood addition to the “Tsuchi” line. Here is the description from the website: "SHINRA Emotion" The SHINRA Emotion Damascus Folder series is inspired by traditional Japanese design elements. The blades are made from a VG-10 core forged with 33 layered nickel Damascus steel, The Exotic Wooden handles are hand shaped motif of Japanese Take Bamboo and Tsuchi with an anodized pivot pin and special oiled washer system. Each has an ambidextrous, one hand opening mechanism with liner lock. Each knife comes with a decorative woven Nishijin pouch with tassels.
Personally I really like the bamboo motif whatever the handle material is made from. They have the bamboo in stainless, exotic hardwoods and Micarta.
Attachments
IMG_3674_R.jpg
IMG_3707_R.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is an auction I found for one of these in the Bamboo motif. FYI, not my knife or auction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcusta-MC-74D- ... SwPMpdGXcc
Attachments
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg (1.2 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:i Thought I would post some information about some new product from Mcusta. I’ve been asked before about Mcusta’s and a hole instead of a thumb stud on the blade. The MC-12 series is the Mcusta that offers both a version with a hole and a thumb stud. New are the two exotic wood handle materials. Here is the description from the website;
The MC-12 Series Tactility Elite Folders are elegant yet functional tactical knives with anodized ambidextrous thmb studs or thumb hole. They use a locking liner for a secure lock and are available with a variety of exotic handle materials. The blades are SPG2 Powder steel San Mai with Tsuchime finish or VG-10 core forged with 33 layers Damascus stainless steel and have a special oiled washer system for smooth action. The MC-12 series comes with a decorative pocket clip that is reversible and is designed to allow the knife to be carried low in your pocket with the tip-up for quick deployment.

3-1/2" Hollow ground SPG2 San Mai or 33 layer Damascus steel forged with a VG-10 core with long false edge on back and thumb opening studs (both sides) or thumb hole, 4-1/2" Hand contoured Exotic handle with Stainless steel liners and Pocket clip on back, Each in a gift box

SPG2 San Mai or VG-10 Damascus blade in 3.0mm thick, 93mm blade, 205mm in open, Weight 110g
Hi Mark the Desert Ironwood I was Told at the Blade show is 1 of 100 ::shrug::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:i Thought I would post some information about some new product from Mcusta. I’ve been asked before about Mcusta’s and a hole instead of a thumb stud on the blade. The MC-12 series is the Mcusta that offers both a version with a hole and a thumb stud. New are the two exotic wood handle materials. Here is the description from the website;

Hi Mark the Desert Ironwood I was Told at the Blade show is 1 of 100 ::shrug::
Gary, good to know. Any idea if the black one is ebony? I love desert Ironwood. Didn’t realize they were producing some of these in such limited quantities.
The one you posted that is coming out later this year, looks like one of their custom knives and those I know are in very short supply, and priced pretty high too.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”