Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by orvet »

kennedy knives wrote: Dale I carried the Kershaw that is in the middle of photo's Broke my heat that I couldn't find another Kershaw Model 1436 with ATS-34 made in Japan . The Japanese & American Kershaw are quality . I also like the Al-Mar's but I'm afraid they will be like all the company's that go to china
As far as the Moki they are like a custom knife made in a factory, fit finish are over the top . Also pictured is a Mcusta Damascus that is my EDC for now but I may have to put the retired Kershaw back in the pocket for awhile .

The knives you posted could be from my collection given the size and the blade shape. They are all about the right size and the right blade shape to be among my Favs!!
Favorite EDCs # 1.jpg
In the top picture on the left side is an early Al Mar utility series. Al said that was his first manufacturer, though he did not give me his name. Second manufacturer he referred to as Hue Hay and seem think he was the finest knife maker anywhere!
I haven't been as impressed with the newer Al Mar but only tried one or two of them. I've seen a lot of the knives from Hue Hay that had such great fit and finish the joint between the blade and the lock bar seem to disappear.
Favorite EDCs # 2.jpg
I like the Kershaw Leeks and the Wild Turkey! The two wild turkeys with the bone handles are ones that I modified. The one with the amber bone I just finished yesterday. Actually I'm not done with it yet, I still have to put my name on it.

You can see that I have a 1431 and a 1436. Somewhere, I believe I have 1430, the one titanium handles, but the 1436 gets the most pocket time, aside from the two customized Wild Turkeys course! They get the most use and pocket time!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Dale is any of the AL-Mar Stamped USA- Seki . I understand these where the 1st Al-Mar 's made . I love the Kershaw model #1436 with ATS-34 steel made in Japan ,light weight, great action & will hold an edge . If you run up on a new one of those let me know Gary ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kennedy knives wrote:Dale is any of the AL-Mar Stamped USA- Seki . I understand these where the 1st Al-Mar 's made . I love the Kershaw model #1436 with ATS-34 steel made in Japan ,light weight, great action & will hold an edge . If you run up on a new one of those let me know Gary ::handshake::
I checked through all of my Al Mar's and I don't see any of them that are stamped USA-Seki.

About the Early Al Mar’s –

I checked all my Utility Series like the one on the left in the first picture, the two different patterns of the Utility Series in my store and a couple of them I sold and none of them had a USA-Seki stamp on them.
Al told me that my Utility Series in the first picture was from the first manufacturer that he had. I had purchased one for myself and one for my dad. When the spring broke on my dad's knife I took both knives to Al and asked him if he could fix the broken spring. That was when he told me, "Those were made by the first manufacturer I had, and they’re not that good. Let me give you a new knife." He was going to replace both knives and I said, "I really don't want to replace mine, it still works fine and I really like it." Al said, "That's fine, I'll replace the one with the broken spring. Huhay makes all of my knives now and he's the best in the world." That was the first time I had heard Huhay's name (I'm not sure of the spelling and I'm sure I have probably spelled it a couple of different ways, but it is pronounced like the English words "hue" and "hay"). I talked with Al on other occasions over the years and Huhay's name came up and it was always in the best context. I have no doubt that Al believed Huhay was absolutely the best knife maker in Japan.

A few years later when the new owner had taken over the company (Gary?) I talked to him at the OKCA show and I ask you if Huhay was still making Al Mar knives. He told me, "Oh no, we got rid of him, Huhay was f---ing Al."
I found that idea incredulous! The impression that I got from our conversation was that he had found someone to make the knives for him cheaper than Huhay and went with the lowest bidder. That is one of the most un-Al Mar things I have ever heard because Al Mar is all about Quality.

I don't know who made/makes Al Mar knives for the new owner, I only know all of the Al Mar knives that I have purchased since Al's death (in October 1982) were ones were made in 1992 or before. I'm sure the new one is are quality knives, but it is very difficult for me to believe that Al could have been so mistaken about the person who made his knives. I think anyone know how Al well would feel the same way.

Regarding the Kershaw’s –
I have one #1436, as you can see in the picture it’s all scratched up, it was that way when I got it. That’s why it was only about $60 or $70, I don’t know which. It was less than half of what they sell for new on eBay when you can find them. They usually started about $150 on eBay and go up from there.
I do have an extra Kershaw #1431, if that would be helpful for you. It is 3-7/8” as opposed to 4-3/8”, of course the width makes a difference also. It’s a user and I bought it missing the clip, and so far of not been able to locate one. Let me know it is of interest to you.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Dale as you see on the other post of the first 13 Knives Al-Mar Produced is in a Factory Case and all 13 have USA /Seki Stamp on them. They are from 1979 from the info I have . The USA/Seki stamp was use for 2 years 1979 & 1980 then they took the USA off . ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kennedy knives wrote:Dale as you see on the other post of the first 13 Knives Al-Mar Produced is in a Factory Case and all 13 have USA /Seki Stamp on them. They are from 1979 from the info I have . The USA/Seki stamp was use for 2 years 1979 & 1980 then they took the USA off . ::handshake::
My apologies I missed the label below the picture. It didn't show up when I viewed it on my cell phone, but it does show up when I view it on my PC.

I see you have the boxes for the knives and that display as well, are there address on those boxes?
Some of the knives I have are in red boxes like the ones you have with your display. What puzzles me is there are two different addresses some of these boxes.

The first address is:
5861 S.W. Benfield Ct.
Lake Oswego, OR 97034
Al Mar Utility Model III e.jpg
The second address is:
PO Box 1626
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034
Al Mar Utility Model III j.jpg
For all the years that I dealt with Al Mar knives in person, by phone & by mail, (from about 1983 to 1992) they were located at
5755 SW Jean Road, Suite 101
Lake Oswego, OR 97305

I know the Jean road address was the last address, the address they were using when Al passed away in 1992.

Looking up the Southwest Benfield Ct. address on Google Earth I found it is a single-family dwelling, a modest ranch-style home.
I have found both the Benfield Ct. and the PO Box 1626 on these red boxes utility model knives in them. I would guess the Benfield Ct. address to be first address used, the PO Box the second address used and the Jean road address the third and final address. However, that is strictly guesstimation and I have no way of verifying with correct or not.

Gary, I was wondering which addresses, if any, are on your boxes?
Thank you. ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Dale this is the address on the boxes I have with a photo of the Rear Tang Stamp
Attachments
Al-Mar Box 001.JPG
Al-Mar Box 004.JPG
Al-Mar Box 006.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

orvet wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Dale as you see on the other post of the first 13 Knives Al-Mar Produced is in a Factory Case and all 13 have USA /Seki Stamp on them. They are from 1979 from the info I have . The USA/Seki stamp was use for 2 years 1979 & 1980 then they took the USA off . ::handshake::
My apologies I missed the label below the picture. It didn't show up when I viewed it on my cell phone, but it does show up when I view it on my PC.

I see you have the boxes for the knives and that display as well, are there address on those boxes?
Some of the knives I have are in red boxes like the ones you have with your display. What puzzles me is there are two different addresses some of these boxes.

The first address is:
5861 S.W. Benfield Ct.
Lake Oswego, OR 97034

The second address is:
PO Box 1626

For all the years that I dealt with Al Mar knives in person, by phone & by mail, (from about 1983 to 1992) they were located at
Lake Oswego, OR 97305

I know the Jean road address was the last address, the address they were using when Al passed away in 1992.

Looking up the Southwest Benfield Ct. address on Google Earth I found it is a single-family dwelling, a modest ranch-style home.
I have found both the Benfield Ct. and the PO Box 1626 on these red boxes utility model knives in them. I would guess the Benfield Ct. address to be first address used, the PO Box the second address used and the Jean road address the third and final address. However, that is strictly guesstimation and I have no way of verifying with correct or not.

Dale it sounds like you just came up with a time line of early Al-Mar Knives that could be very useful. I agree looks like the Benfield Ct is the earliest (1979 to 1980) Match's my first 13 in factory display, then 2nd would be the PO Box 1626 (1980 to 1982) & Third should be the Jean Road Address ( 1983 on). With the Box address & the Tang stamp should be a good time line for early Al-Mar's Thanks Gary ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kennedy knives wrote:
orvet wrote:

The first address is:
5861 S.W. Benfield Ct.
Lake Oswego, OR 97034

The second address is:
PO Box 1626

Lake Oswego, OR 97305

Dale it sounds like you just came up with a time line of early Al-Mar Knives that could be very useful. I agree looks like the Benfield Ct is the earliest (1979 to 1980) Match's my first 13 in factory display, then 2nd would be the PO Box 1626 (1980 to 1982) & Third should be the Jean Road Address ( 1983 on). With the Box address & the Tang stamp should be a good time line for early Al-Mar's Thanks Gary ::handshake::

Gary and Dale, Is there a difference in quality or collectibility in Al Mar’s from certain addresses? Or is this just a really good way of determining the age on an Al Mar?
Thanks,
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this Mcusta from the Katana series in today. MC 42C In anodized aluminum handles in blue and orange. Has the VG 10 core surrounded in San Mai Damascus. Here is a better description from the JKD website: The Katana series Folding knives are inspired by the traditional Samurai sword. They come with a 3-1/4" VG-10 clad (San Mai) Tanto blades. The knives feature a unique forged and machined aluminum handle that is double anodized in two colors. Each knife includes an integral pocket clip and has a special oiled washer system, ambidextrous one hand opening mechanism and liner lock.
Putting it in my store for sale if any one is interested. It’s one sweet knife.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0296.jpeg
IMG_0297.jpeg
IMG_0298.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

kennedy knives wrote:I know I have show these before but I will have them on display at the Blade Show in Atlanta Ga . June 7-9 2019 also looking for any old Al-Mar Catalogs . Thanks Gary
Bump
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:I know I have show these before but I will have them on display at the Blade Show in Atlanta Ga . June 7-9 2019 also looking for any old Al-Mar Catalogs . Thanks Gary
Bump
Gary, when you say they will be on display, does that mean they won’t be for sale? Just curious. I’m still a maybe on the blade show.
Mark
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
Bump
Gary, when you say they will be on display, does that mean they won’t be for sale? Just curious. I’m still a maybe on the blade show.
Mark
Mark they will be outside the sells area in the front lobby with all the Display's . I will have other AL-Mar's at my sale's Table 12T . Hope you can make it always a great show wear good shoe's
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote: Bump
Mark
Mark they will be outside the sells area in the front lobby with all the Display's . I will have other AL-Mar's at my sale's Table 12T . Hope you can make it always a great show wear good shoe's

Gary, Be sure to let us know what you find out about the future of Al Mar please.
Mark
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Low light/high light: Moki Kronos.
Attachments
WP_20171116_017.jpg
WP_20171116_012.jpg
WP_20180503_006.jpg
WP_20180503_013.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1030297 (2).JPG
P1030298 (2).JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:Low light/high light: Moki Kronos.

Ivoryman, a Moki Kronos is beautiful in any light. I haven’t seen one yet I didn’t want to take home with me.
Nice.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:P1030297 (2).JPGP1030298 (2).JPG
Very Very Nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Mark

Gary, Be sure to let us know what you find out about the future of Al Mar please.
Mark
Mark They didn't have a Catalog for there knives was not impressed with the Chinese line but they are come out with some of the older patterns again . I want be a buyer right now
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote: Mark they will be outside the sells area in the front lobby with all the Display's . I will have other AL-Mar's at my sale's Table 12T . Hope you can make it always a great show wear good shoe's

Mark
Mark They didn't have a Catalog for there knives was not impressed with the Chinese line but they are come out with some of the older patterns again . I want be a buyer right now

Are their Chinese knives on their site yet?
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Mark

Are their Chinese knives on their site yet?
Not sure but they had some there at the show in their display
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Saw a new release from Mcusta for the winter of 2019 that was quite a looker on my bucket list :D ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
Mcusta 005.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Saw a new release from Mcusta for the winter of 2019 that was quite a looker on my bucket list :D ::tu:: ::tu::

Gary, I can’t wait to get my hands on that one. You know, it is impossible to budget and plan knife collecting . I keep finding myself buying knives thinking the time to buy is when it’s available. No plan, no order, no budget. I have got to sell some to make up for all the thousands I’ve spent on knives lately. Regardless, that new Mcusta will be planned and budgeted for.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Here is my Sere collection still need a few to get them all ,Post them in Fixed Blade also
Attachments
Sere 3008A
Sere 3008A
Two Sere 3006 TP Serration & Serration
Two Sere 3006 TP Serration & Serration
4 Sere 3001's Different Handles 6 Sere II with 3 Auto's One Sere Attack Green Micarta
4 Sere 3001's Different Handles 6 Sere II with 3 Auto's One Sere Attack Green Micarta
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very fine collection Gary.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:A very fine collection Gary.
Thanks QS still looking for a few to complete the Sere's ::handshake::

Return to “Japanese-made knives”