Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations on your first Al Mar. I think you will be happy with it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote:Congratulations on your first Al Mar. I think you will be happy with it.
QS, Don’t you have one of those? I know someone posted one early on in this thread. Seeing it and reading about it here was one reason I jumped on it when I saw it. This Al-Mar is deceptive in it’s look in photos, you really don’t get how substantial this is until you get it in hand.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Well the Seki train keeps moving on. Here is another Seki made knife. It’s a Bulldog w/ beautiful pearl handles. I would never have had this on my radar if I hadn’t seen someone else’s earlier in this thread. What a stout knife. It’s rock solid. Snaps open and closed tight. Of course the blade backspring runup is just as tight as any Seki made knife, I forgot to take a pic of that.
Got this one from Gary Kennedy, Kennedy Knives.
This is the first photo w/ my new IPhone 10XR too. It’s very clear and easier to use. This one has facial recognition on it so you pick it up and it unlocks itself. Man I like that.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SSK, That is a beutiful BD. I wish mine was in MOP. Plus very nice clear photos.

P1030103.JPG
P1020867.JPG
P1020866.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats SSK, I have one with the wood handles as well and if I remember right it also came from Mr. Kennedy. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I appreciate the compliments. I think I need to work a bit on the camera settings. Some pics seem overexposed on the factory settings. I prefer a bit of a softer look.
We need to see more Seki made knives. I have gotten so many knife ideas from this thread. I love going back and looking at all the knives that have been posted. When I see one that catches my eye, I put it on my radar to keep an eye open for one in the future. So please keep them coming.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

These things are very nicely made! Thanks to all who have shown some real beauties in this thread. That Beretta Loveless knife made me drool on my keyboard. :D
Attachments
IMG_0150.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

rugmar wrote:I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

These things are very nicely made! Thanks to all who have shown some real beauties in this thread. That Beretta Loveless knife made me drool on my keyboard. :D
Nice Al-Mar Light Weight and a great EDC even better when they have the pocket clip ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

rugmar wrote:I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

This thread is addictive. So many beautiful knives posted on all the threads but honestly the ones posted here are the cream of the crop. That Al Mar is elegant looking. A Sere is on my want list some day. I have a lot of knives on that list.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark for viewing Al-Mar SERE
Attachments
AL-MAR 015.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got in a treasure trove of Bulldog knives today. This was one of them. Made in Seki Japan. I believe it’s cocobola or rosewood handles. Typical fit and finish of any Seki made knife. This one is for sale,by the way, will be posting it soon in my store along with 8 other Bulldogs and 6 Bokers.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just checked the JKD website. I didn’t catch that they had added some unique higonokami folders. This one really caught my eye. I have never seen a muskrat version of this. It’s beautiful, handles are made of Desert Ironwood. Two left. Here is the website: http://japaneseknifedirect.com/Custom%20.html
Scroll down a good ways to get to these. Enjoy!
SSk
Attachments
IMG_2538_R.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are some more Higonokami folders made by custom knife makers in Seki Japan. These are currently still showing available. These deserve a place in this thread. There were very few of these made and anyone that gets one will have a very unique knife from some of the most outstanding custom Japanese knife makers.
I ordered 4 different custom knives back in December, they are posted earlier in this thread. These custom knives that JKD have are in high demand and sell out quickly. You will not be disappointed, I am so pleased w/the knives that I purchased. I can’t say enough to encourage the Seki collectors out there to buy some of these. If you have collected Al Mar, Moki, Mcusta, I would encourage you to add some of these customs to your collection as well.
Here is the website. http://japaneseknifedirect.com/Custom%20.html
SSk
Attachments
IMG_2548_R.jpg
IMG_2549_R.jpg
IMG_2530_R.jpg
sctbrd

Post by sctbrd »

My old lady neighbor has a couple Moki knives available, and Im looking for information:
MK-500E stag handle, is scuffed slightly, needs to be cleaned and metal polished in a couple spots.
MK-500A pearl handle, which appears never to have been used.
Both are marked ATS34 blades.
With original boxes and one still has the cleaning cloth.
About when would these have been made? Her husband was in the Marines in the 50s or 60s and may have gotten them overseas...
What is a reasonable value for these (sell to someone you know, not online)?

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

sctbrd wrote:My old lady neighbor has a couple Moki knives available, and Im looking for information:
MK-500E stag handle, is scuffed slightly, needs to be cleaned and metal polished in a couple spots.
About when would these have been made? Her husband was in the Marines in the 50s or 60s and may have gotten them overseas...

Welcome to the forum! I hope that Gary Kennedy will chime in on these also. These are not that old. Probably less than 20 years old. Both are discontinued models. If it’s a friend and you aren’t looking to make a killing on them, but sell them for a reasonable amount, I would say 130 on the pearl and 160 on the stag. If you want the full retail value out of them and it’s not someone you are doing a favor for, then 150 on the pearl and 180-190 on the stag. You would normally think that the pearl would be more valuable and for most manufacturers it is, but Moki works in pearl so much that they aren’t the highest priced knives they make, stag is, and they didn’t make a lot of knives in stag .
Hopefully Gary can verify this info if he sees it, if not you might PM Gary Kennedy. He is the Seki expert.
Good luck.
sSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

sctbrd wrote:My old lady neighbor has a couple Moki knives available, and Im looking for information:

I don't think he would of gotten them in the 50's or 60's . From what I understand Bob Loveless was the first to use ATS-34 in 1972 .
I would think your Moki's are from around the late 1990's . Value if mint would be about $150.00 each . Just my opinion
sctbrd

Post by sctbrd »

Thanks. I saw a pearl one on here that sold for $90. Since you cant trust eBay for a reasonable price, Im happy I found this forum. Guess Ill have a couple new knives to enjoy!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

sctbrd wrote:Thanks. I saw a pearl one on here that sold for $90. Since you cant trust eBay for a reasonable price, Im happy I found this forum. Guess Ill have a couple new knives to enjoy!

Some do go for that, but I wouldn’t take 90 bucks for one if I had it. I might be a bit high, but I think that’s what they are worth. You can’t find either of these on eBay for sale. Plus some people sell these and don’t realize that it’s a high quality, almost custom quality, knife. I’d buy all I could get, if I could snag them at 90 bucks.
SSk
sctbrd

Post by sctbrd »

Well, it's a friend so Im going higher than that. I just didnt want to spend too much or offer too little. :)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

sctbrd wrote:Well, it's a friend so Im going higher than that. I just didnt want to spend too much or offer too little. :)

I can appreciate that. The stag does need some cleaning but that might all be surface and will polish out. I haven’t seen a stag version of that knife in a very long time. Those boxes are also from a different time, I think I’m safe saying these are 20 years old and maybe a little older but definitely not going back to the 50’s or 60’s. Probably the 90’s.
You will have some very nice knives in your collection and if you ever tire of them, you shouldn’t have any problem selling them.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I know I have show these before but I will have them on display at the Blade Show in Atlanta Ga . June 7-9 2019 also looking for any old Al-Mar Catalogs . Thanks Gary
Attachments
First 13 Al-Mars in Factory Display Stamp USA Seki
First 13 Al-Mars in Factory Display Stamp USA Seki
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:I know I have show these before but I will have them on display at the Blade Show in Atlanta Ga . June 7-9 2019 also looking for any old Al-Mar Catalogs . Thanks Gary

I’m trying to fit in a trip to the Blade Show this year. Glad a waited on arranging for it though, just got confirmed that I have a large hernia right below my breast bone. Might be having surgery about that time. But if not, I hope to make it this year. Would love to see all those Al Mar knives in person, and meet a bunch of you all, especially you Gary.
Mark
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:I know I have show these before but I will have them on display at the Blade Show in Atlanta Ga . June 7-9 2019 also looking for any old Al-Mar Catalogs . Thanks Gary

I’m trying to fit in a trip to the Blade Show this year. Glad a waited on arranging for it though, just got confirmed that I have a large hernia right below my breast bone. Might be having surgery about that time. But if not, I hope to make it this year. Would love to see all those Al Mar knives in person, and meet a bunch of you all, especially you Gary.
Mark
Hope everything works out with the hernia . Hope you are able to attend it's a must see show . ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kennedy knives wrote: I don't think he would of gotten them in the 50's or 60's . From what I understand Bob Loveless was the first to use ATS-34 in 1972 .
I would think your Moki's are from around the late 1990's . Value if mint would be about $150.00 each . Just my opinion
Just for comparison sake; (because I am not familiar with Moki knives) how do Moki with ATS-34 compare to all the Kershaw knives with ATS-34 blades made in 2001-2004? I have a few of the Kershaw ATS-34s and are they forever work horses! They are among my favorite users! Most are overbuilt and the edge retention is just unreal!
Those Kershaws are all about $150 + for new ones on eBay.
Have you had any experience using the Moki w/ ATS-34 compared to an ATS-34 Kershaw? I would like to know how they compare
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Japanese-made knives”