Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
S2K

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by S2K »

Yes, a Bird & Trout to die for all right. ::tu:: First I've seen of white Dami.
T.J.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

S2K wrote:Yes, a Bird & Trout to die for all right. ::tu:: First I've seen of white Dami.

TJ. It is spectacular. I have looked at other knives in white steel before and fall in love w/ everyone of them.
Here is my last Christmas knife. This one was posted early in this thread by someone else. It’s an A.G. Russell pinched peanut in mammoth ivory. I bought this from A.G. Russell’s website. I am thinking seriously about carrying this one. So far I am carrying it in a pouch to protect it. I figure that since I paid full retail there isn’t much room for this to appreciate, so why not? These are not cheap for such a little knife. I really like the angle and cut of the blades. This small wharncliffe blade is so sharp that the point is almost like a needle. Found that out the hard way. And, of course, as you can see from the blade/spring meeting point, this one has the typical high tolerances of any Seki made knife with no gap between the blade and spring.
The mammoth ivory has a mottled appearance, w/out that you wouldn’t be able to tell this from elephant ivory, they did a remarkable job on the handles.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5014.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg
IMG_5016.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5018.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

With these beautiful knives you keep posting Mark, I am beginning to think maybe I should go back to work just so I can afford to acquire some of these gems like you. Don't think I will but you are pushing me closer and closer to the edge. Congratulations on your Mammoth. The fit of the Seki knives, the tolerances, are just great.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Hi Mark I see it's your Birthday So Happy Birthday ::groove:: Good looking Peanut you have there
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Hi Mark I see it's your Birthday So Happy Birthday ::groove:: Good looking Peanut you have there
Thank you Gary. I have to admit, I’m smitten with this one.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wishing you all the best on your birthday Mark. ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Wishing you all the best on your birthday Mark. ::handshake::

QS, Thank you. It’s been a great birthday/holiday having our girl from Thailand here with us. Since she was orphaned at 13, she missed a lot of family time during the holidays. So childlike in her enjoyment of the holidays. Here is a picture of her on Christmas morning. She loved the necklace I bought for her. Feel very blessed this year to be able to share this season w/ this precious girl.
Mark
Attachments
IMG_4988.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are all 7 of the MC-3 series knives from Mcusta in their display board. I like the deep red color for these. So impressed w/ these Mcusta’s. Well made and an incredible amount of craftsmanship went into each one. They look really nice all toghether.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5023.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, that is a wonderful collection and display. Literally full of wonder. ::groove::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone get any Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar or other Seki made knives for Christmas? Let’s see them.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Very Nice Red Bone Moki Model MK-433anz Doesn't get any better than this one
Attachments
Canal , Moki, S&M Cheetah ,GEC 153113 EO 038.JPG
Canal , Moki, S&M Cheetah ,GEC 153113 EO 047.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Very Nice Red Bone Moki Model MK-433anz Doesn't get any better than this one

They call that Kronos don’t they? Or am I thinking about another one that they have? That’s one of my favorites. It’s beauty.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Very Nice Red Bone Moki Model MK-433anz Doesn't get any better than this one

They call that Kronos don’t they? Or am I thinking about another one that they have? That’s one of my favorites. It’s beauty.
SSk
Mark you are 100% right that is a Kronos Has As good of fit & finish as any Custom Where the Blade At top side meets the back spring it as good as a custom .
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

SSk
Mark you are 100% right that is a Kronos Has As good of fit & finish as any Custom Where the Blade At top side meets the back spring it as good as a custom .
Gary, Do you have any of the annual limited edition knives made by Master Hatori? I see on JKD website that he has issued an annual knife since 2003. Wonder what those go for and availability? Not trying to purchase at this time, just lining up for the future.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

No Mark Don't have any .
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I dug a little deeper on the JKD site and found this interesting history of Ichiro Hattori. There is also information on Bob Lum designed B&T knives, SOG and many other knives that have links to Seki. Find it here http://hattoricollector.com/ .
Also this photo goes w/ this last years limited edition Hattori annual knife. This one is still showing as available. This is one that’s on my wish list.
Master Hattori is in his 80’s and won’t be making knives forever. These annual limited edition knives would be an incredible collection to have.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_1686_R.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Don't know much about these but it's the first to pass thru these hands...
Attachments
IMG_2208.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

TripleF wrote:Don't know much about these but it's the first to pass thru these hands...
Scott, Nice to see you posting on this thread. I don’t know much about that Al Mar but I am sure Gary Kennedy does. You can’t find an Al Mar that isn’t a nice knife. They make some of the best.
I saw that one on your eBay site the other day and was admiring it then. It’s tempting.
SSk
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A little Bulldog Groundhog of Seki origin.
DSCN5259.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

TripleF wrote:Don't know much about these but it's the first to pass thru these hands...
It's called (the Back-Up ) Model # 3801 Blade steel 6A, Blade Thickness 1/8" , Handle Aluminite , OVL 6 3/4"
Nice Knife
Gary
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

kennedy knives wrote:
It's called (the Back-Up ) Model # 3801 Blade steel 6A, Blade Thickness 1/8" , Handle Aluminite , OVL 6 3/4"
Nice Knife
Gary
Yes sir, got that from the box!!
Just don't know much bc I've never handled one or read about them....
SCOTT

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Scott, Nice to see you posting on this thread. I don’t know much about that Al Mar but I am sure Gary Kennedy does. You can’t find an Al Mar that isn’t a nice knife. They make some of the best.
I saw that one on your eBay site the other day and was admiring it then. It’s tempting.
SSk
Yes sir....shocked no one has made an offer.
SCOTT

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thought I would add a little info on early Tang Stamps for AL-Mar Earliest one is the USA then the Seki Japan Then they started putting Seki Japan on rear of blades Then they took off Seki .
Attachments
Al-Mar Tang & Books 001.JPG
Al-Mar Tang & Books 003.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for posting that info Garry. ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote:Thanks for posting that info Garry. ::tu::
My Pleasure . I enjoy reading info on any Knife I don't think we can have to much . ::handshake::

Return to “Japanese-made knives”