Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Just got this knife from Gary Kennedy at Kennedy Knives. It’s a Seki made Marbles. I’m guessing made in the 90’s. Either rosewood or cocobola handle and the blade is almost a dagger style. Doesn’t have the tight fitting run up between the blade and backspring like most Seki made knives but still very good fit and finish.
Maybe Gary can give some history on this? I didn’t realize that Marbles had any knives made in Seki and would like to know more about that part of their history.
Thank you Gary for the fine knife.
Mark
Attachments
IMG_5197.jpeg
IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5199.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very handsome knife Mark. Nicely worked bolsters too.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A great looking knife. Gary is a good man to deal with and he has quality product. But you've got a good one there. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

doglegg wrote:A great looking knife. Gary is a good man to deal with and he has quality product. But you've got a good one there. ::tu::

I agree w/ both statements. It’s a good looking knife. Gary is straightforward and honest and you can count on him to get just about any knife you might be looking for.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This came yesterday. It was listed here on the “for sale or trade” section last week. Beretta fixed blade w/ full tang construction and handle of Chinese Quince wood. Blade says R.W. Loveless design Beretta U.S.A. According to the Hattori Forum, Master Hattori made this for Beretta:
“Apart from the now highly collectable Beretta daggers, the Model 201 R.W. Loveless design licensed 4 inch blade drop point hunter was made by Hattori.

Beretta Loveless DP hunter

Beretta Model 201 Aus8 blade and Quince handle. A Stag handled version was also made, as well as a serial numbered limited edition model with a deer depiction on the blade in a wooden presentation case.”
The knife needed some good polishing and it really is coming back to life. The bolsters were oxidized but no pitting. Probably left in the sheath, which I recommend never storing a knife in a sheath.
Enjoy.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5223.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5226.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is that tapered tang. Sweet.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5227.jpeg
S2K

Post by S2K »

That's just beautiful in every way SSK! Way to go.
T.J.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Saw that knife and thought it was exceptional. And its origin is right up your alley. Glad you got it. Those stocks really pop too. Beautiful. ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone ever buy one of these from this scrimshaw artist? His name is Dan Farrell. I saw this knife listed on eBay. He has done a magnificent job on this. The price doesn’t seem to high either. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moki-Meek-Knif ... SwlLdcW4RQ
SSk.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Just got this knife from Gary Kennedy at Kennedy Knives. It’s a Seki made Marbles. I’m guessing made in the 90’s. Either rosewood or cocobola handle and the blade is almost a dagger style. Doesn’t have the tight fitting run up between the blade and backspring like most Seki made knives but still very good fit and finish.
Maybe Gary can give some history on this? I didn’t realize that Marbles had any knives made in Seki and would like to know more about that part of their history.
Mark
Mark That was a Parker era Marbles Jim had good taste when it came to having a nice knife made .
That Moki on ebay is killer
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Beretta Model 201 Aus8 blade and Quince handle.
That looks to be the semi skinner blade, fantastic knives and the closest factory knife to a real Loveless. Here is my drop point,
20170115_082007.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Just got this knife from Gary Kennedy at Kennedy Knives. It’s a Seki made Marbles. I’m guessing made in the 90’s. Either rosewood or cocobola handle and the blade is almost a dagger style. Doesn’t have the tight fitting run up between the blade and backspring like most Seki made knives but still very good fit and finish.
Mark
Mark That was a Parker era Marbles Jim had good taste when it came to having a nice knife made .
That Moki on ebay is killer
Gary, I suspected that Parker must have had a hand in this one. It reminded me of many I’ve seen from that time. Thanks for the information.
Mark
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Montanaman wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Beretta Model 201 Aus8 blade and Quince handle.
That looks to be the semi skinner blade, fantastic knives and the closest factory knife to a real Loveless. Here is my drop point,

20170115_082007.jpg

I have to agree w/ you on that one. At a fraction of the price. These are pretty incredible knives.
Mark
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Moki Ares in red pick bone. Stainless blade, bolsters, pins and liners. This is the knife that started my obsession w/ Moki and Seki made knives, well not this exact knife but my other one just like it.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5265.jpeg
IMG_5266.jpeg
IMG_5270.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got two Seki made knives today. One is a Paragon by Tommy Lee. I sent this to Muskrat Man for handles. I sent an exotic hardwood I bought on eBay. I thought the colors were unusual and would look good on this knife. I have 2 other Paragons that I have posted in this thread before and both have black Micarta handles. This one came unfinished and I bought it also on eBay a few years ago. I thought I would handle it myself, but quickly realized that was more of a project than I could handle. I love the way this knife tapers toward the end.
The second one is an Al Mar Eagle Talon. I wasn’t looking for this knife but saw it for sale on eBay and thought it was going way too cheaply and bid and won it. It’s a big knife and even thought it doesn’t look like it, it’s a stout knife. Has the usual tight fit and finish of all Seki made knives. It’s pretty incredible. It’s my first Al Mar knife. Sure it won’t be my last.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg
IMG_5318.jpeg
IMG_5319.jpeg
IMG_5322.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations on your first Al Mar. I think you will be happy with it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Congratulations on your first Al Mar. I think you will be happy with it.
QS, Don’t you have one of those? I know someone posted one early on in this thread. Seeing it and reading about it here was one reason I jumped on it when I saw it. This Al-Mar is deceptive in it’s look in photos, you really don’t get how substantial this is until you get it in hand.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Well the Seki train keeps moving on. Here is another Seki made knife. It’s a Bulldog w/ beautiful pearl handles. I would never have had this on my radar if I hadn’t seen someone else’s earlier in this thread. What a stout knife. It’s rock solid. Snaps open and closed tight. Of course the blade backspring runup is just as tight as any Seki made knife, I forgot to take a pic of that.
Got this one from Gary Kennedy, Kennedy Knives.
This is the first photo w/ my new IPhone 10XR too. It’s very clear and easier to use. This one has facial recognition on it so you pick it up and it unlocks itself. Man I like that.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SSK, That is a beutiful BD. I wish mine was in MOP. Plus very nice clear photos.

P1030103.JPG
P1020867.JPG
P1020866.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats SSK, I have one with the wood handles as well and if I remember right it also came from Mr. Kennedy. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I appreciate the compliments. I think I need to work a bit on the camera settings. Some pics seem overexposed on the factory settings. I prefer a bit of a softer look.
We need to see more Seki made knives. I have gotten so many knife ideas from this thread. I love going back and looking at all the knives that have been posted. When I see one that catches my eye, I put it on my radar to keep an eye open for one in the future. So please keep them coming.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

These things are very nicely made! Thanks to all who have shown some real beauties in this thread. That Beretta Loveless knife made me drool on my keyboard. :D
Attachments
IMG_0150.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

rugmar wrote:I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

These things are very nicely made! Thanks to all who have shown some real beauties in this thread. That Beretta Loveless knife made me drool on my keyboard. :D
Nice Al-Mar Light Weight and a great EDC even better when they have the pocket clip ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

rugmar wrote:I too, only have one Al Mar knife. See pic below. I've wanted the Al Mar SERE for a number of years but haven't found "the one" yet.

This thread is addictive. So many beautiful knives posted on all the threads but honestly the ones posted here are the cream of the crop. That Al Mar is elegant looking. A Sere is on my want list some day. I have a lot of knives on that list.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”