Barlows does anyone else love them

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Barlows does anyone else love them

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:52 pm To answer the OP directly, I have never had any "love" for the Barlow knives, however, I do have some sentimental attachment as I had Barlows as a kid.
Bought at the local service station, from a card hanging behind the counter, for a dollar if I remember correctly. They do fit in with my hoard of pocket knives, because I prefer to gather in "working men's" knives, rather than high-end collectables.
Outstanding. That bottom left one is beautiful. Love the bolsters on that.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got another addition to my Barlow collection. It’s a Robeson by Queen red bone stag Barlow. Just thought I would take a group shot of all the RCC knives and a group shot of my Barlow collection
Attachments
E262E177-4F71-4661-A1AE-770A20E84866.jpeg
C319F730-B680-4C65-B253-A47A30BAEBCD.jpeg
743F142F-FBFD-4BEC-8DFF-B5D3C74CD040.jpeg
B9275A09-FAE0-4A30-820B-917E4A72C5B8.jpeg
38570266-F3EE-472E-97E7-7CE1263753E6.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Going to post this one here. Not sure if this is a Barlow or not? This is one knife from the latest collection I purchased that I am keeping for my own collection. I have never come across this pattern before. I really like this pattern. There were 2 of these in the collection, one is posted for sale in my store.
Attachments
F8E6E62C-9840-484C-BA1D-76C1BA445692.jpeg
0C30F512-E1FD-4530-BFE5-CD31EB2FA940.jpeg
138FC327-4192-41D8-9C7E-D76B31DA8163.jpeg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm Got another addition to my Barlow collection. It’s a Robeson by Queen red bone stag Barlow. Just thought I would take a group shot of all the RCC knives and a group shot of my Barlow collection
She and They are Beauties Mark!! Love those red scales. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm Got another addition to my Barlow collection. It’s a Robeson by Queen red bone stag Barlow. Just thought I would take a group shot of all the RCC knives and a group shot of my Barlow collection
Those are some very good looking knives! :D ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Smitty.
Thanks David.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:06 pm Going to post this one here. Not sure if this is a Barlow or not? This is one knife from the latest collection I purchased that I am keeping for my own collection. I have never come across this pattern before. I really like this pattern. There were 2 of these in the collection, one is posted for sale in my store.
Beautiful collection brother!

And yes, it is a true barlow.
The large barlow is the oldest knife pattern of them all; 4000+ years (ancient Egyptians). My favorite is "Granddaddy Barlow". Thank you Case!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:06 pm Going to post this one here. Not sure if this is a Barlow or not? This is one knife from the latest collection I purchased that I am keeping for my own collection. I have never come across this pattern before. I really like this pattern. There were 2 of these in the collection, one is posted for sale in my store.
A very beautiful knife, but I would not call it a barlow.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

edge213 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 am
A very beautiful knife, but I would not call it a barlow.
I agree David, it's a very beautiful example... ::nod::

But I kindly disagree that "it's not a barlow". The barlow pattern IMHO, is the frame design. You can chonk any blade/combo in there, and it will still be a barlow, to me atleast... :)

Thoughts?
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another one from this collection that I am keeping for my collection. I just can’t describe how beautiful this knife is, it’s drop dead gorgeous!

Found another of these long slim Barlow’s. Gary Kennedy says it’s called a Deluxe Pint Barlow. The brown bone handles are beautiful on this one too. I still like this one in stag the best. I have one with elk horn handles I will take pics of later and post. Loving this pattern. I think I found a new pattern to collect.
Attachments
AEEFCE7E-8ED2-4E35-AF68-F796DFBDD4E1.jpeg
2000F30E-2BBB-4B2C-956B-D3B5384C1B48.jpeg
0B3006A6-787F-4C93-9D60-2D174715D4AD.jpeg
249FAF95-B226-418B-8429-2719534CD46C.jpeg
3A100592-768C-4F64-8FC6-C7393CFC3F2D.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:19 am Another one from this collection that I am keeping for my collection. I just can’t describe how beautiful this knife is, it’s drop dead gorgeous!

Found another of these long slim Barlow’s. Gary Kennedy says it’s called a Deluxe Pint Barlow. The brown bone handles are beautiful on this one too. I still like this one in stag the best. I have one with elk horn handles I will take pics of later and post. Loving this pattern. I think I found a new pattern to collect.
::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

MAN!!!!
You sure do have some SWEET Barlows Mark!

All real KILLERS!!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
just bob

Post by just bob »

I didn't go back and read this entire thread and maybe this has already been mentioned? The cover of the Knife Magazine / Sept. 2021 has a picture of an old Russell Barlow and says Barlows / Quintessential Americana. I read the article and really enjoyed it. Good to see them get away from those covers with the fancy custom made knives. Nice to look at but impractical to use.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ssk, those two are exceptional. A great pattern to go after. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you guys. I thought those were so sweet they needed shared.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Those S&M blades are just drop-dead gorgeous.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beeeeeee-uuuuuuuuuu-teeeeeeee-fuuuuuuuuul. Nice score, what a sweet one. Looks Barlowish to me, but I"m not one for technicalities and stuff. Great score and congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Received this beauty today from Maddogfl. It’s a Bayes Barlow. I love the bolsters on this one. Thank you Steve I appreciate the gift. Going to use this one all the time. As much as I like Barlow’s I haven’t had one in my EDC rotation, ever, so this will be a real treat for me.
Attachments
57E8BF07-9C81-4781-9D9C-A6A534E07CBC.jpeg
868BF85E-1D6B-4615-9E61-CFE676D91DA5.jpeg
7D9ABD63-88CB-4070-98A4-198FF5D4EE2B.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great gift.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:14 pm Picked up a nice lot of vintage Barlows including a couple etched Schrade Cut Co's.
Fabulous bunch. Great bones and eye candy.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Here is an EDC of mine...it is a good solid little user... ::nod::
Attachments
DSCF7519.JPG
DSCF7509.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

I have one of those as well, and it is a good solid knife, but black composition scales are hard to praise for their looks.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

sugarcreek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:32 pm I have one of those as well, and it is a good solid knife, but black composition scales are hard to praise for their looks.
But it’s a classic look, doncha think? I like it!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this Tuna Valley today from Gary Kennedy. Green maple burl on this Old Man Norman Barlow. The blade is 154-CM. These are nice but I am a little disappointed. There were micro scratches on the bolster that weren’t polished out. The wooden handles are unevenly sanded with some low and high points. The pull is a little hard but not a nail breaker. But if you wanted one tough and well built Barlow you can’t beat it. I can see this as a legacy knife that could be passed down the family.
Attachments
967F1A92-E03F-4D71-ACF2-14EBDC611143.jpeg
BBADCC93-AA67-434C-B27E-2755A3EF8D1A.jpeg
F34EA346-3759-4C61-A026-778E4C0970A3.jpeg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”