Richards jumping up like ping-pong balls!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Richards jumping up like ping-pong balls!

Post by Old Folder »

jerryd6818 wrote:Dan, do any of the Richards have solid bolsters?
Those picture handles are so colorful. Love 'em.
Thanks Jerry.
Most are hollow sheet bolsters secured by folded tabs with thin celluloid covers. (A little out-gassing on some) :(
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

A little?! Oh, my poor old Queen...if it wasn’t for sentiment, I’d have done her up in shrink wrap, encased in her concrete and snuck her into the nearest toxic waste dump! ::facepalm::
Thanks for the article! Nice info.
I’ve become quite paranoid about any dark spots on celluloid. I probably have missed a couple of perfectly good knives but after the Queen outgassed and corroded the heck out of my grandmother’s button hook, I don’t want to take chances.
The next thing on my list is a good Mountie. I had my eye on one at a swap (won’t say which)
and after finally deciding to get it, discovered I was just too late. The guy that had it had decided to oil the joints. So much so, that oil had seeped up and under the scales and left a big brown splotch all down the top. No sale! It was a full size one too and otherwise quite nice. In his defence, it’s a general antiques table with just a few knives and he probably just didn’t realize what he’d done. Oh well, they are everywhere around here. I can probably get mine pretty quick if I start looking seriously.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote:
Thanks Jerry.
Most are hollow sheet bolsters secured by folded tabs with thin celluloid covers. (A little out-gassing on some) :(
So all are shell handle knives??
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Old Folder wrote:
Thanks Jerry.
So all are shell handle knives??
All but one Jerry. Posted below, a Barehead with which I believe is also celluloid.
IMG_0011.JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

zoogirl wrote:A little?! Oh, my poor old Queen...if it wasn’t for sentiment, I’d have done her up in shrink wrap, encased in her concrete and snuck her into the nearest toxic waste dump! ::facepalm::
Thanks for the article! Nice info.
I’ve become quite paranoid about any dark spots on celluloid. I probably have missed a couple of perfectly good knives but after the Queen outgassed and corroded the heck out of my grandmother’s button hook, I don’t want to take chances.
The next thing on my list is a good Mountie. I had my eye on one at a swap (won’t say which)
and after finally deciding to get it, discovered I was just too late. The guy that had it had decided to oil the joints. So much so, that oil had seeped up and under the scales and left a big brown splotch all down the top. No sale! It was a full size one too and otherwise quite nice. In his defence, it’s a general antiques table with just a few knives and he probably just didn’t realize what he’d done. Oh well, they are everywhere around here. I can probably get mine pretty quick if I start looking seriously.
Queen Elizabeth did visit Santa Barbara in Feb 1983 which is only an hours drive from my home. However, I have not observed any knife related items relating to her visit. :x
While in Los Angeles, Elizabeth met Mayor Tom Bradley. In a speech at City Hall, she defended Britain's actions in the Falkland Islands, praised Los Angeles' diversity and economy, and even got in a joke.

The queen lightheartedly reminded Los Angeles residents that her northward journey from San Diego this weekend paralleled a similar trip made 400 years ago by Sir Francis Drake "who (unsuccessfully) claimed this territory as Nova Albion for the first Queen Elizabeth and for the queen's successors forever.

"I am happy, though, to give you an immediate assurance, Mr. Mayor, that I have not come here to press that claim."

I agree Ann, your chances of finding Richards knives in your area are very good.
Depending on condition, I do not let celluloid deter me from obtaining a beautiful knife. Such as my "Fight'n Rooster" stockmans below. ::nod::
All around 40 years old now. Just have to keep them segregated and clean.
IMG_0016 (2).JPG
IMG_0015 (2).JPG
IMG_0008 (2).JPG
If the outgassing is beyond my control, they end up here in detention. However I still strive to keep them alive. ::pray::
IMG_0007 (2).JPG
Dan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

A veritable rainbow of knives! Awesome!
I particularly like the colour on the G&R knife.

I have a picture of the back of Queen Elizabeth’s hat. The motorcade went up Canada Way, only a block from my house, in ‘68.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

zoogirl wrote:A veritable rainbow of knives! Awesome!
I particularly like the colour on the G&R knife.

I have a picture of the back of Queen Elizabeth’s hat. The motorcade went up Canada Way, only a block from my house, in ‘68.

Thanks Ann.
The G&R color is called "Royal Monarch" by Frank Buster, the creator.

I posted the below link in April last year, it will take you to all the Stockman colors.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=56649
Dan
Mason

Post by Mason »

Old Folder wrote:Below is my "Richards" stash accumulation from here & there over the years. Most of these are from the 1950s.
I seldom search auction sites. I prefer the hunt and fresh air.

Many knife history articles have been written in reference to Richards over the years. The most current "Richards" article is by Jack Black & Neal Punchard in the January 2019 Knife Magazine http://www.knifemagazine.com If you are not a current subscriber, you can purchase the backorder issue(s).

Not all Richards knives were low cost and inexpensive, many were produced with bone and wood handles with brass or steel handles, and are sought after by collectors, such as myself.
A good example is the British Military army issue knives with a sheepsfoot blade, tin-opener, and marlin spike as standard. Towards the end of WWII and after, they also produced as all-stainless pattern, generally known as the "Burma Knife". As this name implies, it was designated for issue to British and Commonwealth forces fighting in the Far East.
Richards also made good quality hunting knives, food preparation and table cutlery, and scissors. While none were overly fancy, they were well made with good material.
Richards has a cutlery heritage that dates well beyond the century mark.
I refuse to call any Richards knife "Cheap". I will however refer to some Richards knives as "Inexpensive" They have my total respect.

IMG_0001 (5).JPGIMG_0003 (4).JPGIMG_0002 (5).JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0011.JPG
Thanks for mentioning and linking my Richard/Richartz article, Dan, and you have a wonderful collection of them.
Here are a few more English made Richards models (top), and a few German made Richartz models (bottom).
Attachments
Richards group 1 (1000x734).jpg
Richartz Knife Group (1156x1200).jpg
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I really like all the pics coming in. It’s a big help to know what to look for, besides the celluloid. Thanks!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Mason;
As I stated above, I have read many "Richards/Richartz" articles over the years, but your current article in the January 2019 Knife World Magazine is the most detailed and thorough ever published pertaining to this historical knife company. Your collection and research is outstanding.
Congratulations and thank you Sir.
Dan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The Richards du jour. I got this big guy in New Westminster at an antique shop, along with a very nice little watch fob knife, $15 for both, :mrgreen:
D9ABA9BD-AB75-4AD2-AF9B-4B9DF8054456.jpeg
22DCE631-6A45-4B42-B605-67F29A7DFCD5.jpeg
Mason

Post by Mason »

Old Folder wrote:Mason;
As I stated above, I have read many "Richards/Richartz" articles over the years, but your current article in the January 2019 Knife World Magazine is the most detailed and thorough ever published pertaining to this historical knife company. Your collection and research is outstanding.
Thanks Dan, I sure appreciate your kind words. You certainly have a vast collection and a good knowledge about the brand, but if ever need a second opinion on any specific Richards knife, I do have several old Richards catalogs that I could check on for you.
Mason

Post by Mason »

zoogirl wrote:The Richards du jour. I got this big guy in New Westminster at an antique shop, along with a very nice little watch fob knife, $15 for both, :mrgreen:
D9ABA9BD-AB75-4AD2-AF9B-4B9DF8054456.jpeg22DCE631-6A45-4B42-B605-67F29A7DFCD5.jpeg
You are building quite a nice collection of Richards models, zoogirl. There were quite a few women who worked at the Richards company during and after WWII, so there is a good chance that some talented gals could have made part or all of some of your knives. Enclosed is a picture of mostly women working in a few areas of the Richards factory in Sheffield, England around the WWII era.
Attachments
Richards pictures D 1953 (1000x710).jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Mason wrote:
Old Folder wrote:Mason;
Thanks Dan, I sure appreciate your kind words. You certainly have a vast collection and a good knowledge about the brand, but if ever need a second opinion on any specific Richards knife, I do have several old Richards catalogs that I could check on for you.
Thank you Sir.
Dan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

More, Sirs, I want more!
And I got ‘em!
B9593DBB-9F00-4B7B-B216-EB175A278275.jpeg
3425AF57-55AC-46C7-8229-FD5618517926.jpeg
DECAE525-D014-4A09-B91F-668320DB539C.jpeg
D17E0F86-93B1-4D65-B065-60466D1F91F0.jpeg
A new Queen, to replace my poor old outgassed one, big and little Mounties and a lovely large green.
I’m a bit distrustful of the large Mountie, so he’s going into his own box. I will probably want to replace that one. He’s also got a chip missing in the back.
I’m going to keep my old Queen for sentimental reasons. It’s actually the knife I’ve owned the longest. I’m thinking of just removing the face scale and keeping the rest as the pile side is fine. At least that would save the rest of the blade. Maybe I could do something fun with the bare side, perhaps paint it or cover it with a foil material.
Anyway, one Ricky, two Ricky,
Three Ricky, four!
Wait ‘till next week,
I’m sure there’ll be more!
Attachments
FE253538-4552-43A5-8394-2A2A31328D6A.jpeg
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Mason wrote:
You are building quite a nice collection of Richards models, zoogirl. There were quite a few women who worked at the Richards company during and after WWII, so there is a good chance that some talented gals could have made part or all of some of your knives. Enclosed is a picture of mostly women working in a few areas of the Richards factory in Sheffield, England around the WWII era.
That’s great! As a factory girl myself, I have nothing but respect for the women who stepped in and stepped up during WW1 and 2. It’s nice to know that perhaps one of my knives was assembled by a woman, not much different than myself, who worked hard and did what needed to be done. Of course, I don’t have the worry of the men in my family being in the fight.
I guess in those years, there would have been a certain amount of production for military use at a cutlery factory.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

You're on a Knife Roll Ann.
Should we call you "Queen Anne"?
Dan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Well, at work we have a collection of ratty old lunch chairs. Mine has “Princess Ann” written on the back! :mrgreen:
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

320A2B86-463D-4D49-863B-6338B03F7F6A.jpeg
C1D36653-3885-4AC9-A240-5F2DA55EBF9C.jpeg
0C8D3641-94B0-4D93-95D5-0662E17CC8B6.jpeg
6C27DF0E-F248-454F-AC61-1B014E92906A.jpeg
The little brown celluloid and the gold tone are today’s finds. All are from the Red Barn Flea Market in Vancouver. The other two pics are the new little brown in its place with the larger ones I already had. I was going to grab a larger goldtone with the little one and decided to wait until I was leaving and of course the seller had already left! Oh well, I’ll get it next week.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

FE507006-9277-4EEC-8991-00FEEAD14D18.jpeg
Today’s catch! There’s something fishy about this one. Hmmmm...

It now my largest Richards. I guess it’s my ‘King Richards!’
BC84A59C-C344-4F34-A26D-D804A35B995E.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zoogirl wrote:FE507006-9277-4EEC-8991-00FEEAD14D18.jpegToday’s catch! There’s something fishy about this one. Hmmmm...

It now my largest Richards. I guess it’s my ‘King Richards!’BC84A59C-C344-4F34-A26D-D804A35B995E.jpeg
Didn't I see you post one like this?
Attachments
Richards Sheffield England Shell Toothpick - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Not mine, but one day it will be! ::drool::

Well, probably not that one, but one of its brothers!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You have a PM.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats on your Richards fish knife. Now you have to go fishing. :lol: ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Oh, that’s likely, Doglegg! After all, I go right over the Fraser River every day! My older son hits the fish dock almost every day in the summer, after work. Sometimes the whole lot of us goes on a Sunday.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”