Fun with "back in the day" knife thoughts

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
markpreston

Fun with "back in the day" knife thoughts

Post by markpreston »

Just realized how much things have really changed in the knife world since the 80's and early 90's. I honestly remember when $50 was a LOT of money for a good knife and some would even say heirloom. My dad had a subscription to knife world and I would look at the Parker knives and just ooh and ahhh. As things progressed I remember my first pocket clip knife (AG Russell) and thought this is the last knife I'll ever buy. What do you old timers remember as being revolutionary and cutting edge that we get a good laugh at these days? I'm feeling kinda nostalgic lately so Ive been carrying an old Blackie Collins folder along with a Spyderco Police from the early nineties I believe. Anybody else Rockin' those modern classics?
FRJ

Re: Fun with "back in the day" knife thoughts

Post by FRJ »

Those darn knife prices do tend to change. I hate that.
And please don't say "cutting edge", I get so queazy!

Here's a modern knife I like a lot.
Attachments
DSCN5681.JPG
DSCN5683.JPG
DSCN5686.JPG
DSCN5698.JPG
Joe
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

Is that a Howard Viele?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You think things have changed a lot since the 80’s? I was in elementary school in the 50’s and 60’s when every boy and some girls carried pocket knives. They were just tools to be used as such. We played games with them before and after school and even at recess with the teachers observing. Girls playing jacks and hopscotch, boys playing stretch or mumbleypeg.

I remember kids getting hurt falling off or getting hit by playground equipment like merry-go-rounds and swings, but no one ever got cut or hurt with a knife. Taught by our fathers and grandfathers, we all knew how to respect and use them. ::nod::

Sincce you want to have fun with this thread I’ll refrain from hijacking it with social commentary on why things have changed - that’s not much fun.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I recall that when I got my first "real" knife as a kid, a Kamp King it cost 75 cents. When I was selling knives at gunshows in the early 1980s, I would buy Old Cutler knives made by Colonial for $35 PER DOZEN, and resell them for $9-10 each. The trapper, Barlow, and stockman were the best sellers then. When I was a kid, every boy in grade school would have a pocket knife in his pocket DURING SCHOOL HOURS. Not a big deal then like it is now.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

When I was in high school (late 70s early 80s) Buck 110s were the thing.
A lot of the boys wore them on their belts during school, me included.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

It's not been all that long ago, maybe 20-25 years ago that I saw my first Spyderco knife. A friend of mine had it and was quite proud of it. I thought it was the most butt ugly knife I had ever laid eyes on. For the life of me I could not see the appeal although he was smitten with it. Fast forward to today and that friend has gone on to be with the Lord and I carry a Spyderco Stretch frequently. It's butt ugly, but boy does it get the job done efficiently. The only way to appreciate some things is to try them. Two such things immediately come to mind; oysters on the half shell and Spyderco knives. 8)
Attachments
Spyderco Stretch 2 .jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

When I was in school,Friday was knife swap day.
I still have some of them,even swapped some with the teachers and the principal.
I couldn't imagine going to school today.
Tim
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Mumbleypeg wrote:You think things have changed a lot since the 80’s? I was in elementary school in the 50’s and 60’s when every boy and some girls carried pocket knives

Ken
I’d have been one of those girls. My school days were 60’s-70’s. I always had my knife on me.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”

Return to “General Knife Discussion”