Airplane carryon pocket knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
SHERPA919

Airplane carryon pocket knives

Post by SHERPA919 »

I think CBP is again allowing knives with blades less than 2.3 inches/7mm to be carried on a plane. Does anyone know of or have for sale a quality pocket knife with a corkscrew, bottle opener and 2.3 inch blade?
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Airplane carryon pocket knives

Post by ken98k »

SHERPA919 wrote:I think CBP is again allowing knives with blades less than 2.3 inches/7mm to be carried on a plane. Does anyone know of or have for sale a quality pocket knife with a corkscrew, bottle opener and 2.3 inch blade?
What's CBP?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Customs and Boarder Protection?

Still wouldn't chance it. But that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In March 2013, the Transportation Security Administration had announced a decision to allow passengers to once again carry small, folding blades up to 2.36 inches (6 centimeters) in length, such as small pocket knives and foil cutters for corkscrews, on board commercial airplanes. These items had been prohibited following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

In June of 2013 the TSA announced that it was rescinding the change "after extensive engagement with the Aviation Security Advisory Committee, law enforcement officials, passenger advocates, and other important stakeholders."

The law stands. A knife in checked baggage is okay but you cannot carry a knife of any kind onto an airplane.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yes Sir.. P-Nuts are sure weapons of mass destruction.. ::disgust:: ::paranoid::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Only if you’re allergic...
Oh, wait...you meant the other kind of peanut! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I always have a few emergency items on me and, of course, first is a blade. If I were to fly over open land, mountians or jungle/forest, I would want a knife in my pocket. I’ve heard a lot of stories is stranded survivors. Even if rescue was very soon, I might need to cut a seatbelt.
Then there’s package opening. I find it hard to grasp small plastic bags, eg. peanut packets. I’d prob want to cut it.
I’d be more than willing to do 2.6”/7cm. The blade on my changepurse Richards is just over 1 1/2” with a can opener and screwdriver. I can do a lot with the little guy.
image.jpg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

If any of you ever take a cruise, you have to be careful of a knife in a checked bag as well. On every cruise we have been on the security people X-ray and open and inspect every piece of luggage that comes on board a ship. It’s tighter security than boarding a plane. The only knife I will chance on a cruise is my small Swiss Army knife with small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers and toothpick. Those are inexpensive enough that I won’t come unglued if someone confiscates it.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Excellent advice Mark. I would have never thought of that. Of course I've only been on two cruises. The first we all carried an M-14. The second was before 9/11.

My first cruise. Not even a whisper about our HAWK Battery that participated. They could at least have given us ten seconds. Would it have killed them to include a scan of our emplacement after we got set up and just a blurb to let folks know we were there. ::huff::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:The only knife I will chance on a cruise is my small Swiss Army knife with small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers and toothpick. Those are inexpensive enough that I won’t come unglued if someone confiscates it.
SSk
I cut the blade off of those for my kids when they were little. For their school backpacks. Even the scissors can be a life saver. Pretty sure they’d be airplane compliant. But that won’t provide a cork screw.

These days if I can’t carry a knife I’d try to get by with a set of trauma shears. Easy to explain as emergency gear and Cheap enough to lose.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Back when I traveled a lot for work, after 9/11 I had to grind the nail file off my fingernail clippers to get them through TSA. Idiots. :x
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Between the airlines, the US Gov’t, and a nation of sheep, air travel has evolved from a quality adventure into a grueling mess. I’ve gone from flying several times a year to only when I absolutely can’t spend two days driving each way. Twelve hours or less and I drive - and I have as many knives, etc., with me as I want. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
eveled

Post by eveled »

The cockpits are so secure now. High jacking is an impossibility. Let us have our knives. I’d gladly give up the TSA crap and take my chances on a flight if everyone was allowed to be armed.

Archie Bunker had it right. Everyone gets a gun on the way into the plane. Give it back when we land. lol!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

eveled wrote:The cockpits are so secure now. High jacking is an impossibility. Let us have our knives. I’d gladly give up the TSA crap and take my chances on a flight if everyone was allowed to be armed.

Archie Bunker had it right. Everyone gets a gun on the way into the plane. Give it back when we land. lol!
Uh, no. Two guys standing there. Each with a knife at the throat of a cabin attendant, threatening to slit their throat if the pilot doesn't do what they demand. What do you think is going to happen?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'm with Jerry on this.
Yes, not being able to carry your knife (knives) is a bummer. But let's be realistic and look at the world for what it has become. Things certainly are not the same as when we were kids.
I've said it before, I've read the Book. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

The pilots I know were all issued H&K .40 S&W and carry them on every flight. The first wise thing I've heard of from TSA
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I don't know much about that kind of stuff, but I would think a revolver with loaded down cartridges would be a safer plan.
So the bullet didn't blast through the fuselage at a high altitude.

Or maybe they have the H&K softend for lighter loads.
Like I said, I don't know much about that kind of stuff.
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:If any of you ever take a cruise, you have to be careful of a knife in a checked bag as well. On every cruise we have been on the security people X-ray and open and inspect every piece of luggage that comes on board a ship. It’s tighter security than boarding a plane. The only knife I will chance on a cruise is my small Swiss Army knife with small blade, scissors, nail file, tweezers and toothpick. Those are inexpensive enough that I won’t come unglued if someone confiscates it.
SSk
Each cruise line has their own policy when it comes to carrying a knife onto the ship. I've taken a couple of cruises and have another one scheduled in a couple of months. (Daughter is getting married while on the cruise). We will be using Carnival Cruise Line. They allow you to bring on a knife with a blade of four inches or less. I've carried a Schrade 8 Old Timer previously with no problem. That's not my normal EDC but it meets my needs and I wouldn't be distraught if it were confiscated for some reason. Of course it will have to go in my checked luggage for the flight down to the ship. I checked Holland America and they allow smaller sized blades. Some cruise lines prohibit pocket knives entirely, so it pays to check with your cruise line before you take your trip.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

FRJ wrote:I don't know much about that kind of stuff, but I would think a revolver with loaded down cartridges would be a safer plan.
So the bullet didn't blast through the fuselage at a high altitude.

Or maybe they have the H&K softend for lighter loads.
Like I said, I don't know much about that kind of stuff.
Hey Joe,

If they have there heads screwed on they use frangible ammo. Basically turns to dust when it hits something harder then flesh. That’s the theory anyway. As I understand, it is what Air Marshals carry and they use it on submarines, etc. could be wrong.
Some people even use for home defense if they have close neighbors or in an apartment. What I heard. Until I test it myself, I don’t mind if my home defense ammo pierces some meat and a few walls if it ever comes down to that God forbid. I live alone with no close neighbors.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
eveled

Post by eveled »

jerryd6818 wrote:
eveled wrote:The cockpits are so secure now. High jacking is an impossibility. Let us have our knives. I’d gladly give up the TSA crap and take my chances on a flight if everyone was allowed to be armed.

Uh, no. Two guys standing there. Each with a knife at the throat of a cabin attendant, threatening to slit their throat if the pilot doesn't do what they demand. What do you think is going to happen?
The pilot is going to think of the greater good and keep flying the plane. When highjackers realize that tactic doesn’t work. They’ll stop trying it. If they do harm the attendants and the armed passengers hack the jackers into little pieces nobody will ever try that again. Stop thinking like a sheep.

The only reason it worked on 911 was airliners were never used as weapons before. The pilots were trained to believe if they complied nobody would be hurt. Once the word got out. The passengers on the last plane made sure they would not be used as a weapon.

Our response to the terorist attacks has cost us billions of dollars. Not to mention lost productivity. Not to mention lost liberties.

The only thing that stops an armed bad guy is an armed good guy.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

eveled wrote: Stop thinking like a sheep.
It's obvious you don't have the slightest clue what I'm about.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

Then I’m glad I was wrong about you, and wish you all the best. Keep your powder dry my friend.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”