4 Day Firearms Auction Features 100s of Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

4 Day Firearms Auction Features 100s of Knives

Post by deo-pa »

See: http://www.poulinauctions.com/

Go to Session 4 and view lot #4230 through #4280. Wow! Photo below is all Case and just one of the great listings.

Dennis
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.25.54 AM.png
FRJ

Re: 4 Day Firearms Auction Features 100s of Knives

Post by FRJ »

That was just plain fun. ::nod::
Thanks Dennis. ::tu::
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Daggone it man, there are some FINE American bowies!! Thanks, Dennis!!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is something I need to stay FAR FAR away from. The firearms alone.... oh, my Stars and Stripes! Thanks for the Big Tease!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Something else for the knife collector; lot # 4481C.

Dennis
Attachments
dsphotohandler.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

deo-pa wrote:See: http://www.poulinauctions.com/

Go to Session 4 and view lot #4230 through #4280. Wow! Photo below is all Case and just one of the great listings.

Dennis

Dennis, thank you for posting this. I lost about an hour looking over those knives. Question and maybe you can’t answer this, are those estimates correct usually? Those estimates all seem too low. Some of those customs are as much or more than the estimates and they are in a group of customs.
Just wondering if it would be worth the time an effort to bid on these?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I see some of the knife estimates as high, and some low, and some right on. I think the auctioneer has an expert who is more knowledgeable on high end bowie knives than more common folding knives. Don't forget the auctioneer wants 5% sales tax and a whopping 17.5% buyer's premium on top of the sold price. I think if you bid with a credit card it may be higher. When you add in shipping costs if you absentee bid you are likely easily up to a whole 25% over the selling price in fees. Being a pretty high end auction there is a chance that the pocket knives may go reasonably, never hurts to put in a bid.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Just wondering if it would be worth the time an effort to bid on these?
There are some awful nice knives here so I'd say it is definitely worth it if your budget will handle it. I agree with Gene about the estimates; some high, some low. Also of course your bid will also presumably vary depending if they are to remain in your collection or if you intend to flip some or all.

I'm thinking about going after one of these lots. I probably won't attend so my plan is to come up with a what I consider the most I'm willing to pay (including the fees mentioned below) and submit that as absentee bid. I don't think there is any point in trying to steal these with a low-ball absentee bid.

You can hedge your bets a little by submitting a somewhat lower bid and if you are outbid by other absentee bidders they will let you know 24 hours before the auction starts, in which case you can re-evaluate and perhaps bid higher. If you can't attend but really want to go after some lots then you can always sign up for phone bidding. They'll call you just before the items hit the auction block and you can bid in real time. For phone bidding you still have to give them a maximum starting bid. Both absentee and phone bids require a 20% refundable deposit by credit card.

As Gene says, don't forget the buyer's premium of 17.5% (15% if you pay by wire transfer), sales tax of 5.5%, handing and packaging billed at $30/hr, insurance (roughly $1 for each $100 of the value). Let's say you win a lot for $2000. Buyer's fee = $350. Sales tax = $110. Packaging = maybe $20. Insurance = $20. Total = roughly $2,500.

Dennis

Return to “General Knife Discussion”