Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

Post by QTCut5 »

I picked up this Queen #51T off eBay with what I believed was an unusual color of Winterbottom Bone; however, after I got it in hand and compared it to my other Winterbottom handled #51s, I now think it's actually Winterbottom Delrin that's been dyed brown. Can't say as I've ever seen this color of Winterbottom handle before.
P3050018.JPG

For comparison: Here it is between a "typical" WB Delrin #51 and a genuine WB Bone Dan Burke #51
P3050036.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That’s a new one for me too Q. I like it, not as well as the bone but it’s nice to see it done like that in brown.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That is an interesting color, Q.
Could it be brown delrin? When I enlarged the 1st picture and noticed the handle material around the center pin doesn't seem to show any light colored material below the pin.
The color reminds me of the brown delrin handles on some of the Case knives.
Your 2nd picture very well shows the identical molded imitation Winterbottom jigging pattern on the regular Queen 51's.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got a workhorse series that's dark chocolate.
Attachments
20210307_105413.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 am It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.

SSk
Not likely since the factory where they made/make Delrin wasn't finished until 1960.

Note the name of the factory. I wonder if that is where the Winterbottom name came from since the name at the top of the sign (as always click to enlarge) is "Winterbottom.Carter & Co". "Winterbottom is a surname originating in the U.K. (Winterbottom arose in the south-east corner of Lancashire, on the Cheshire and Yorkshire borders.) so that kinda makes sense to me.
Attachments
winterbottom-pic6.png
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Forgot all about this thread...but, I think this 1958-60 Queen #51 belongs here since it has a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle. ::nod::
P5220001.JPG
P5220002.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
Thank you, Mark. I'm discovering that all Winterbottom is not created equal; the faux WB Delrin is often quite dull or 'flat' and generally lacks the charm, magnetism and unique 'personality' that is more characteristic of genuine WB Bone. (IMO, YMMV).

Here's another Queen with a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle (the only one in my collection that is NOT a 51 Mini Trapper pattern!)

1983 Queen 6155 "Old Pattern LockBack"
PB060100.JPG
PB060101.JPG
~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
Thank you, Mark. I'm discovering that all Winterbottom is not created equal; the faux WB Delrin is often quite dull or 'flat' and generally lacks the charm, magnetism and unique 'personality' that is more characteristic of genuine WB Bone. (IMO, YMMV).

Here's another Queen with a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle (the only one in my collection that is NOT a 51 Mini Trapper pattern!)

PB060100.JPGPB060101.JPG
Q, you've been showing some really nice winterbottom.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:49 pm

PB060100.JPGPB060101.JPG
Q, You really have an eye for nice WB knives. I always envy collectors that can focus on something in particular, seems like my attention is like a butterfly sampling cup after cup.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, gents. ::handshake::

Actually, I lied about the non-Mini-T Winterbottom handled knives in my collection; I forgot about these two fixed blades:

Queen 85 Bird & Trout
Queen 85.JPG

Queen 75 large fixed blade; however, as you can see, the handle on this one is Delrin WB, not bone...quite a difference IMO.
P5230005.JPG
P5230007.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Big difference Q. Give me the bone handles any day. I don’t own a single delrin knife in my collection. Never cared for it much.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 am
QTCut5 wrote:
What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
Q, check out that article posted on the first page of this thread. It says they transitioned over to Delrin by the late 60’s. It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.
That’s very helpful article, I’m going to bookmark that one.
SSk
According to my research DuPont Chemical obtained the patent for Delrin (which is a DuPont trademark) in 1956 after several years of research, and it went into production in 1960. It’s been my understanding that the first use of Delrin for knife handles was a few years later.

Some examples of Winterbottom from my pile.

Ken
Attachments
Clauss Winterbottom bone (probably made by Queen)
Clauss Winterbottom bone (probably made by Queen)
Queen Winterbottom Delrin
Queen Winterbottom bone
Queen Winterbottom bone
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

There are some very nice looking bones on this thread. For a long time I didn't care for Winterbottom bone handles but now I've completely changed my mind.

I have this Queen EO with the "big Q" stamp & bone with colors that I don't recall seeing on another knife. The dye seems to be very stable & it makes me believe the handles were this color, or colors, originally. They look a little different with different lighting.
Attachments
EOQ7.jpg
EOQ6.jpg
EOQ5.jpg
EOQ4.jpg
geocash
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The Queen parade..............
Carving fork;Two carving knives and a steak knife;a #40 folder,and three steak knives(sorry for the dark picture_
Attachments
QueenCarvingFork-.50 001.jpg
QueenCutlery 002.jpg
QueenMarkSide.JPG
QueenSteelSteakKnives-3-.50each 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:45 am I picked up this Queen #51T off eBay with what I believed was an unusual color of Winterbottom Bone; however, after I got it in hand and compared it to my other Winterbottom handled #51s, I now think it's actually Winterbottom Delrin that's been dyed brown. Can't say as I've ever seen this color of Winterbottom handle before.
P3050018.JPG

For comparison: Here it is between a "typical" WB Delrin #51 and a genuine WB Bone Dan Burke #51
P3050036.JPG

Queen introduced that color of "Winterbottom" Delrin in about 2002, when they launched their lines of traditional knives with D2 blade steel.

They called it "Forest Edge"...sort of a green/brown delrin.

They also had jigged red Delrin and smooth red delrin on some of the early D2 releases, in addition to the bone and wood handled knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

knifeaholic wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:07 pm Queen introduced that color of "Winterbottom" Delrin in about 2002, when they launched their lines of traditional knives with D2 blade steel.

They called it "Forest Edge"...sort of a green/brown delrin.

They also had jigged red Delrin and smooth red delrin on some of the early D2 releases, in addition to the bone and wood handled knives.
Thanks for that info, Steve...good to know. Although I still think it looks like "Swamp Mud", "Forest Edge" is a much more appealing name! :lol:
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another Queen 51 with genuine Winterbottom Bone that I picked up from Lois & Clark's AAPK store. Since it has no tang stamp, only a blade etch, I would date this one from 1961-71.

P5250018.JPG
P5250019.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Q, you have some really nice examples of Winterbottom bone, this last one is really nice.

The others posted look great also. Nice examples Ken of some other brands that used Winterbottom.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thank you, Mark.

This is my latest (and probably the last for awhile) Winterbottom Bone knife: 1958-60 Queen Steel #73. I found it a bit unusual because it's a barehead style with no pommel, unlike all my other fixed blade Queens.
Attachments
P6060023.JPG
P6060020.JPG
P6060022.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Q, that is an unusual knife. I like the looks of it. I haven’t seen one like that before.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:59 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 am
QTCut5 wrote:
What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
Q, check out that article posted on the first page of this thread. It says they transitioned over to Delrin by the late 60’s. It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.
That’s very helpful article, I’m going to bookmark that one.
SSk
According to my research DuPont Chemical obtained the patent for Delrin (which is a DuPont trademark) in 1956 after several years of research, and it went into production in 1960. It’s been my understanding that the first use of Delrin for knife handles was a few years later.

Some examples of Winterbottom from my pile.

Ken
Dupont had "delrin" or something like it for a few years (re: the patent), BUT there were some issues with getting commercial levels of production going.

Commercial quantities became available sometime in late 1960. Cutlery companies implemented use of Delrin at different time. Western jumped on the band wagon early, replacing 90% of their stag and bone stag with it in 1961. No clue as towhen others started using it. There were other types of plastics being used prior to Delrin, but Dupont's Delrin itself wasa 1961 introduction product.
JimmyH

Post by JimmyH »

I've always admired Winterbottom bone but the only two I've ever picked up are a Queen City farmer's knife, and this trapper pattern.
Queen_steel.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”