Older knife collecting books

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
raincrowe

Older knife collecting books

Post by raincrowe »

Just curious....How many collectors out there have the older books......say by authors like...……..Charles Frazier, Pryse Robinson, Revis C Ferguson, Dewey P Ferguson and others… also older material issued by the knife companies to dealers to sell and reorder knives...even salesman samples and display cases....the list could on and on...…. for example here are some pamphlets or books I've acquired over the years....would be neat to show and tell
Attachments
SAM_0873 (2).JPG
SAM_0876.JPG
SAM_0882.JPG
SAM_0877 (2).JPG
SAM_0881 (2).JPG
SAM_0883.JPG
rangerbluedog

Re: Older knife collecting books

Post by rangerbluedog »

I love the old catalogs. I have a stack about two feet tall!
That 1960s Boker catalog you have is hard to find. Took me years to get one.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Yeah getting a item now and again.... they do accumulate! ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There are several previous threads on this topic you might find interesting. Not exactly what you asked but there are some older catalogs and books included. Here’s just one of them. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42388&hilit=Ferguson

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this book yesterday at the fleamarket for a couple of bucks. While I do not collect daggers or fighting knives, it appears to have a lot of interesting reading. And the author Peterson does indeed start at the beginning. In the first paragraph of the book he mentions stone knives 500,000 years ago. It was first published in 1968.
IMG_3085.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice assemblage of informational material. As was said before there are several threads on reference books on here. My motto is:" You can NEVER have too many books(knives)"!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I finally got around to do some reading in that book I posted the picture of 2 posts above. I had noticed on the cover an unusual looking knife that has a blade with what looks like very coarse saw teeth. I got to the section in the book describing it and according to the text it is referred to as a "sword breaker knife".
Photo from the book.
IMG_3496.JPG
Supposedly one would be dueling with the sword in one hand and this knife in the other and when the opponent struck at you with his sword, you would catch his sword in the teeth of this knife and give a hard quick snap and break the sword blade off. This seems kind of far fetched to me, would not the sword blade have more strength in it than the very thin "teeth" of this knife? Seems more likely that one could catch the opponents sword with the knife and thus immobilize his sword while you do some serious damage to him with your sword. I am by no means a swordsman by any measure, but it seems to me that this would make more sense.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I believe this "ARRON BURKINSHAW" is my oldest book. It measures 5 & 1/2" by 8 & 1/2" only 24 pages.

img126.jpg

Levine has it rated "V" high.

img127.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:37 am I believe this "ARRON BURKINSHAW" is my oldest book. It measures 5 & 1/2" by 8 & 1/2" only 24 pages.

img126.jpg

img127.jpg
WOW Dan ::woot:: ::woot:: ... An original Burkinshaw catalog - great score ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: (to me this deserves 3 ::tu:: s ::nod:: )... For me Burkinshaw knives are indeed a good find (and not at all easy to find) but I have never have seen a catalog - and from 1876 :D ... What types of knives are listed? Did they have other cutlery items for sale as well? For example I have a Burkinshaw made Fruit Grafting Froe besides a few Burkinshaw knives...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

LongBlade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:03 pm
Old Folder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:37 am I believe this "ARRON BURKINSHAW" is my oldest book. It measures 5 & 1/2" by 8 & 1/2" only 24 pages.

img126.jpg

img127.jpg
WOW Dan ::woot:: ::woot:: ... An original Burkinshaw catalog - great score ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: (to me this deserves 3 ::tu:: s ::nod:: )... For me Burkinshaw knives are indeed a good find (and not at all easy to find) but I have never have seen a catalog - and from 1876 :D ... What types of knives are listed? Did they have other cutlery items for sale as well? For example I have a Burkinshaw made Fruit Grafting Froe besides a few Burkinshaw knives...

Thanks Lee ::nod::

I'll try to get some pictures of the knives within the catalog later today.
Have some HONEY DO'S with the better half first. ::hmm::
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:58 pm

img126.jpg

img127.jpg

Thanks Dan - that would be really appreciated ::tu:: ::tu:: :D ... I'm a big fan of Burkinshaw knives - just can't find many (posted a few of mine in the past) which imo may be because they reside in collections & are not for sale :wink: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have these
Attachments
20200223_201113.jpg
20200223_200652.jpg
20200223_200549.jpg
20200223_195828.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

And these
Attachments
20200223_200716.jpg
20200223_200705.jpg
20200223_200500.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

LongBlade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks Dan - that would be really appreciated ::tu:: ::tu:: :D ... I'm a big fan of Burkinshaw knives - just can't find many (posted a few of mine in the past) which imo may be because they reside in collections & are not for sale :wink: ...
Here you go Lee ::nod::
The measurement of the book when opened measures 8 & 1/2" by 10 & 3/4" so it did fit on my scanner.
If you have any problems with the pictures, let me know and I will attempt to correct. I have posted the book in its entirety. You will notice that the page numbers 20 and 21 are not printed on the upper right corners of the pages as all the other pages, however, no pages are missing, it just appears to be a type error.
The pricing seems to be strange. Could this be pricing per dozen?
Your very fortunate to have some "Burkinshaw" knives.
I will post this on two separate pages (1 & 2) due to the 10 maximum picture rule.

PAGE 1 OF 2.
img126.jpg
img130.jpg
img131.jpg
img132.jpg
img133.jpg
img139.jpg
img142.jpg
img147.jpg
img148.jpg
img149.jpg
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

PAGE 2 OF 2.

img150.jpg
img151.jpg
img158.jpg
img159.jpg
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

What a great old catalog, Dan! Thanks for posting it in its entirety.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

danno50 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:34 pm What a great old catalog, Dan! Thanks for posting it in its entirety.
Your welcome Dan ::nod::
I guess I'm lucky that the catalog is only 24 pages or I would still be setting at my scanner. ::tired::
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:19 am
LongBlade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Here you go Lee ::nod::
The measurement of the book when opened measures 8 & 1/2" by 10 & 3/4" so it did fit on my scanner.
If you have any problems with the pictures, let me know and I will attempt to correct. I have posted the book in its entirety. You will notice that the page numbers 20 and 21 are not printed on the upper right corners of the pages as all the other pages, however, no pages are missing, it just appears to be a type error.
The pricing seems to be strange. Could this be pricing per dozen?
Your very fortunate to have some "Burkinshaw" knives.
I will post this on two separate pages (1 & 2) due to the 10 maximum picture rule.

PAGE 1 OF 2.
img126.jpg
img130.jpg
img131.jpg
img132.jpg
img133.jpg
img139.jpg
img142.jpg
img147.jpg
img148.jpg
img149.jpg
Thanks so much Dan for kindly sharing the catalog - awesome ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake:: ... Browsing the pages and oogling over the knives reminded me to take my blood pressure pill :lol: - So interesting to me to see the patterns offered and the price per dozen (I believe most charged by the dozen from my understanding - so maybe it is not stated per dozen as it was just standard for cutleries to charge by the dozen ::shrug:: - guessing). I have at least 4 or 5 of the knife patterns in the catalog including the fruit grafting froe and Timber Scribe (all of which I believe I have posted on AAPK in the past (but will double check)... Anyway in the catalog I noticed on some of the knives some really unique shields and even a unique pattern to me - 7th photo down and 2nd knife in - there is a bend in the handle of the knife ::hmm:: ... All very cool 8) ...

Really amazing - Thanks again Dan for a real viewing treat!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Your very welcome Lee ::tu::
Glad to be a part of your Burkinshaw passion.
I have learned a good deal of a historic knife company due to your initial post. ::handshake::
Dan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”