Your storage solutions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
WillyCamaro

Your storage solutions

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey guys,
I was wondering, as i am slowly adding knives to my collection i am getting more and more pressed for some way of safely storing my knives. Right now i have them all laid out on my desk shelf. There must be a better way of easily storing and displaying them. I have heard of pelican cases, knife rolls, display cases, pouches, sleeves, socks, boxes, ect. What do you guys use? Post pics, lots of pics.... ::sneaky::
:D
Looking for something reasonable costing, not a fortune. Willing to pay a little more if it works! Also i am up in Canada so i don't know if exact brands will work.
I guess this is the question of all collectors everywhere. Now i have it, where in the heck am i going to put it!
Thanks guys!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
espn77

Re: Your storage solutions

Post by espn77 »

Some ideas
Attachments
IMG_20170603_102600.jpg
20190128_183033.jpg
20190503_084757.jpg
20190108_191026.jpg
20170728_194957.jpg
20180119_175908.jpg
20190101_182235.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have used these plastic storage boxes for a long time with good results. Most of mine are stockman or camper/scout type so they fit right in. One to each of 6 compartments normally, although thinner jack and pens will fit 2 per compartment. They stack nicely in the gun safe.
IMG_2957.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

There was an older thread on this a while back.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ilit=boxes
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Not sure if that thread mentions one option that a few of us like - Sack-ups rolls ::tu:: - for me they are the best protection but one needs to organize them as the knives are not easily seen...

Post by zoogirl »

EA069E6E-8635-4AA3-8C06-C3D6E6124DE2.jpeg
C981EF9E-020A-4177-B3E3-18FE9356502E.jpeg
CC8F084C-C199-4B8F-A610-8DDB73628EDE.jpeg
9F144709-BCB9-49D3-BCB0-F17092369D0A.jpeg
The black case is actually a tablet case and the trays are ice rod trays. I can carry 20 knives at a time. The outside pocket will take a half dozen fixed blades. I got everything at Dollarama. Four bucks for the case, a dollar fifty each for the trays.
The drawers are Dollarama makeup boxes, two large drawers or three small drawers at four bucks each.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great stuff so far guys! Old thread revival!
There sure is some amazing collections on display!
I am slowly getting there! Just added 7 more new un's from dad. 5 new bokers and 2 stag buck creeks. Traded a couple of mine. The shelf is getting really crowded now. And still have 2 more comin' in. Or 3...
You know the story!
You displays are amazing espn! A real museum of love and labor! Keep it up!
That is such a great idea olde! But i think a lot of my knives won't fit, to long. Especially my Queen trappers, toothpick, Winchester cokebottle, copper swing guard, ect. I'll take a look on amazon/ebay to see what i can get.
Yes Long Blade, i found them just today. Looking on hero outdoors website they have the 18 knife one for $40 cnd. They also have the Hero branded united cutlery cases for cheaper. Also the hickory 60 knife storage roll for $70. The clear displays are another system for cheap off amazon. I guess i'll snoop around and see what i come up with. Thanks fellas!
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I think you nailed it Ann!
Problem is i am kind of a organizer nut. Nice tool boxes/storage take me to the poor house! ::mdm::
:lol:
Na, just joking...
I will go look around my second hand stores, walmart, dollarama, ect. Saturday and see what i come up with. Wish me luck!
Thanks
Winston Churchill

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I motion this thread be elevated to "Sticky" Status.
A great source for storage ideas now and to come.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

To me at least the biggest challenge of storage solutions is deciding whether you want your knives to be readily available and viewable by you and others, or do you want maximum security and protection from the elements. Depending on your choice there are trade-offs.

For maximum security and protection for damage, IMHO it’s hard to beat treating your knives with a preservative (RenWax, Eezox, Tuf-glide and mineral oil are a few that readily come to mind - most of us have our favorites). Then put them in Sackups and into the safe (with humidifiers). May be overkill but I’ve been successfully using this routine for over 20 years except for celluloids and believe knives will remain unscathed forever this way. Exception being fire or natural disaster. The obvious drawback is accessing and viewing your knives. I’ve tried to mitigate that a little by developing a system for labeling each Sackup with its contents, so I can fairly quickly find whatever knife or knives I want after opening the safe.

But it’s still not as convenient as having them visible in an open or glass-top case, or drawers and toolboxes etc. So I also have some in such storage. I have two wooden, felt lined mechanics tool chests and several old glass-front displays from Case, Schrade, and Remington. Periodically I rotate what is displayed, sort of like a museum where they rotate displaying the archives. :lol: Some items are on permanent display and some are rotated in and out of storage.

Does anyone else have a “method to your madness”? 8)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

When I started rock collecting I tried every thing, but found the STAX plastic storage boxes from England the best solution. Staples office supply. Bigger problem is many kitchen knives of long lengths. and since I find them in garage sales and thrift stores I keep stapled up sleeves from cereal boxes etc. in the car for sharp edges. several lengths. old machinist chests work good too. Most of my large wood carving tools are stored in rolls I sewed from blue jean material.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The clear plastic two drawers fit my folding fish knives and my huge Uncle Henry. They are in the makeup section at Dollarama. The three drawer cases will fit most regular pocket knives. I don’t line them as it lets the light through.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Steve Warden wrote:I motion this thread be elevated to "Sticky" Status.
A great source for storage ideas now and to come.
Second it!
Winston Churchill

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA?
I'm looking at putting the knives that I don't display into plastic ziplock bags with a Silica Gel Pack for moisture and then storing them in an antique jeweler's cabinet with 32 drawers or in small pullout bins in my office closet.
20190614_171049.jpg
20190614_161014.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Good idea!
I am thinking of the same thing with my vintage Beach Canada metal toolbox that's sitting right now out in the garage. Or picking up a wood machinist cabinet. Or...
So many different idea's it boggles my poor, sick, fibro foggy brain!
:lol:
Dad said i brought it on my self!
:mrgreen:
Maybe planio cases for my cheap knives. Nice cabinet for my good ones. Or something else? I still have to look more.
Winston Churchill

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

dlr110 wrote:GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA?
I'm looking at putting the knives that I don't display into plastic ziplock bags with a Silica Gel Pack for moisture and then storing them in an antique jeweler's cabinet with 32 draws or in small pullout bins in my office closet.
20190614_171049.jpg
20190614_161014.jpg
That cabinet is a beauty David ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I’m not sure you need to put the knives in bags for those drawers - I would put a silica gel pack in each drawer and I like to also throw in an anti-tarnish strip - the latter are useful for silverware and I personally think can’t hurt to include. I also line boxes with silverware cloth which has anti-tarnish properties instead of felt - don’t trust felt which may not be acid-fast in terms of dye used for color but my reading also suggested felt may absorb moisture ... just my opinion on approaching storage for knives...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

LongBlade wrote:
I'm looking at putting the knives that I don't display into plastic ziplock bags with a Silica Gel Pack for moisture and then storing them in an antique jeweler's cabinet with 32 draws or in small pullout bins in my office closet.20190614_171049.jpg20190614_161014.jpg
That cabinet is a beauty David ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I’m not sure you need to put the knives in bags for those drawers - I would put a silica gel pack in each drawer and I like to also throw in an anti-tarnish strip - the latter are useful for silverware and I personally think can’t hurt to include. I also line boxes with silverware cloth which has anti-tarnish properties instead of felt - don’t trust felt which may not be acid-fast in terms of dye used for color but my reading also suggested felt may absorb moisture ... just my opinion on approaching storage for knives...
Thanks for the come back, you have some good ideas. I'm not sure about the felt either and after your response I looked at what I had bought. There was nothing on the label to indicate that there might be a problem with it, but I tend to agree with you.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

dlr110 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:
I'm looking at putting the knives that I don't display into plastic ziplock bags with a Silica Gel Pack for moisture and then storing them in an antique jeweler's cabinet with 32 draws or in small pullout bins in my office closet.20190614_171049.jpg20190614_161014.jpg
Thanks for the come back, you have some good ideas. I'm not sure about the felt either and after your response I looked at what I had bought. There was nothing on the label to indicate that there might be a problem with it, but I tend to agree with you.
For what it is worth I have used felt in re-lining all my vintage machinists' boxes and have never had a problem. I buy the felt by the yard at a local yard goods store.What I have changed though is the method I use to attach it to the drawers.I used to use spray adhesive and found that it never really set up(and the solvents in it could be harmful to plastics)so I switched to using good quality wood glue that dries almost clear. It takes some time to cut the patterns properly(I fit them to the drawer sides as well as the bottom)and when I glue them in I use a rubber squeegee(the type they use for applying auto body filler)to press the felt in tightly to the edges.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Great tips and ideas folks! ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

knife7knut wrote:
dlr110 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:
For what it is worth I have used felt in re-lining all my vintage machinists' boxes and have never had a problem. I buy the felt by the yard at a local yard goods store.What I have changed though is the method I use to attach it to the drawers.I used to use spray adhesive and found that it never really set up(and the solvents in it could be harmful to plastics)so I switched to using good quality wood glue that dries almost clear. It takes some time to cut the patterns properly(I fit them to the drawer sides as well as the bottom)and when I glue them in I use a rubber squeegee(the type they use for applying auto body filler)to press the felt in tightly to the edges.

Concerning felt. My one bad experience w/ felt was with a set of 3 knives from Boker called the “Storytellers”. These knives sat in this case for many years. When I took them out, these were in a collection of knives I purchased, they had an etch on the top of each blade that sat in contact with the felt. I knew the collector and knew that he had not done anything but store them in this “collectors” case since he purchased them new. These cases have foam rubber w/ cutouts for the knives and the felt is cut in the same pattern as the knife so it presses against the knives. I never could figure out why this felt would have etched those blades like that? Maybe it’s only a problem when it sits in such “hard” contact w/ the knives and not mearly on the felt?
Attachments
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Concerning felt. My one bad experience w/ felt was with a set of 3 knives from Boker called the “Storytellers”. These knives sat in this case for many years. When I took them out, these were in a collection of knives I purchased, they had an etch on the top of each blade that sat in contact with the felt. I knew the collector and knew that he had not done anything but store them in this “collectors” case since he purchased them new. These cases have foam rubber w/ cutouts for the knives and the felt is cut in the same pattern as the knife so it presses against the knives. I never could figure out why this felt would have etched those blades like that? Maybe it’s only a problem when it sits in such “hard” contact w/ the knives and not measly on the felt?
I think the culprit in this case wasn't the felt but the foam rubber backing. The technical name for it is urea formaldehyde foam and both of those substances(urea or urine and formaldehyde)are highly corrosive.I suspect that outgassing of the foam(much like celluloid)leached through the felt and attacked the handles. When foam deteriorates it out-gasses and becomes very brittle and eventually crumbles much like celluloid.I have had that occur in some old Puma boxes that are lined with foam.Just supposition on my part.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

knife7knut wrote:
dlr110 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:
Ray and all - Just a short note on the spray adhesives but arts and crafts stores (such as Michaels) sell acid free spray adhesive which I have used with no issues - just playing it safe and if not acid free it would possibly affect the felt ::shrug:: - I go by play it safe in terms of storage - better safe than sorry :) ... in terms of felt I knew that machinists used the chests for years with their valuable tools - however I have read in a collector forum that one needs to be careful with felt - I'm not sure if SSKs problem was the foam rubber - if I remember right SSK did not some of your knives once take on the green color of felt?? Somehow I seem to remember a thread about this ::hmm:: ..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

knife7knut wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Concerning felt. My one bad experience w/ felt was with a set of 3 knives from Boker called the “Storytellers”. These knives sat in this case for many years. When I took them out, these were in a collection of knives I purchased, they had an etch on the top of each blade that sat in contact with the felt. I knew the collector and knew that he had not done anything but store them in this “collectors” case since he purchased them new. These cases have foam rubber w/ cutouts for the knives and the felt is cut in the same pattern as the knife so it presses against the knives. I never could figure out why this felt would have etched those blades like that? Maybe it’s only a problem when it sits in such “hard” contact w/ the knives and not measly on the felt?
I think the culprit in this case wasn't the felt but the foam rubber backing. The technical name for it is urea formaldehyde foam and both of those substances(urea or urine and formaldehyde)are highly corrosive.I suspect that outgassing of the foam(much like celluloid)leached through the felt and attacked the handles. When foam deteriorates it out-gasses and becomes very brittle and eventually crumbles much like celluloid.I have had that occur in some old Puma boxes that are lined with foam.Just supposition on my part.
That makes more sense to me than the felt being the culprit. In so many of those that you see for sale the felt is breaking down. That outgassing of the foam rubber is probably the reason. I would sure be cautious buying these “Storytellers” in the Collectors Case they came in. It’s a shame too, those knives are top notch.
Thanks for the response.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you fellas for sharing info on felt/glues!
I just went to my local dollarama to day and picked up a bunch of felt squares for $3 bucks a stack. A tube of super heavy duty craft glue from Canadian Tire for $7. This stuff is like regular school glue except waaaaaaaaaay stronger. No VOC's, non toxic (you could drink the whole bottle in theory, DON"T! :D), no acid, 2,800 lbs strength! Do you think that's enough to tack felt to pine drawers? Or should i have went with 100,000 lbs industrial cement? The stuff where you get one whiff and by by for ever.
:D :lol:
I think i'v found my solution for DIRT cheap! And looks awesome too! They are these $4 pine stack-able cupboards. Very well made! Even has proper feet on the bottom! Routed, slotted shelf and back panels. Very good quality joints! Learned these when i was doing woodworking. I mean $4, how can you beat that? I cant. All they need is a final sanding/stain/clear coat. Good to go! I still have all the stuff i need from 2 years ago. Don't need to buy table saw, router ect. You can't build them for $4, not even close! Metal nobs will cost that alone. Cheaper option then $13 plano boxes. Look way nicer too! And... don't take up allot of room!
Rockin' and Rollin' now boys!
I'll get to work on em' tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Happy Happy Happy!
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I also picked up 2 wood box versions. $4 each again. Really nice build quality again. As good as i could do!
Heck, 2 hinges and latch are worth that much!
Dollarama even has pics on their website! And i might add, a very nice website for a cheap store chain!
I think i did real good boys!
Note: Can't post pic from their website, not valid link. Tech issues again! Grrrrrr!
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Knife Discussion”