In time for Father's Day - "Dad's Knife"

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
rangerbluedog

In time for Father's Day - "Dad's Knife"

Post by rangerbluedog »

Dad's knife was an old Buck 703 stock pattern.
I can't remember when or where he acquired it, but it's the only knife I can remember him carrying on a regular basis.
Dad worked in the maintenance department of a textile mill for almost his entire life. He used to tell me, "I don't care what you do for a living, just don't work in a cotton mill."
Buck 703
Buck 703
I took his advice, as did all of his sons. He tried to be a farmer. Hailing from the Elbert County and Hart County line in Northeast Georgia, farming was in his blood. Yeah, he picked cotton as a small boy growing up in Georgia. This was his life until Grandpa Ray moved the family across the State line into Anderson, South Carolina to a better life, working in the cotton mill.
Dad's farming was done on an 80-something acre farm ten miles South of Anderson. After working in the cotton mill all day, he would come home and jump on a tractor until just after dark. Growing up in the country, there were always cows and hogs to feed (or chase). There was always something that needed picking, or cutting, or hauling, or freezing. Dad cut up many a vegetable and peeled many an apple with his old Buck knife.
When all the boys grew up and got married and went to work at "anywhere but a cotton mill", we all thought it was a great idea to get Dad a new knife to replace his old "worn out" Buck knife.
Every Christmas, birthday, and Father's Day, each of us in turn would make an attempt to get a knife for Dad that would replace the old Buck. Dad would always give an enthusiastic "Thank You", and would admire the beautiful new knife. Then he would carefully wrap up the new knife and place it back in its box.
Dad never used any of these wonderful knives. We tried getting him everything from a Boker, to a Case, to beautiful custom folders. We even searched and found a new-old-stock Buck 703 exactly like the one Dad had. It too went back into the box. Dad just loved that old Buck 703. It was his faithful companion.
After Dad retired, he was diagnosed with COPD. Ironically, he was a lifelong smoker, but had quit smoking six months prior to retirement after the latest price increase. Then followed the cancer: Bone cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer...
We noticed his confusion with life began to grow after each surgery. We sadly watched him struggle with the pain following surgery, and his frustration with all the tubes and wires that seemed to always be tangled around his arm.
Finally he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. For some reason he began to think that the house in which he had lived for forty years wasn't really his home. He began to tell us that he wanted to go to "his house" and he didn't know why we would move him out of his beautiful house that was near the river. Sometimes I would put him in my car and drive him through the pasture, down to the river where we had fished and waded many times. This would help, and we would always talk about the cows, and digging post holes to build the pasture fence. It was only temporary.
On May 4th, my birthday, 2016, my Dad passed on from this life. I'm thinking about him on Father's Day.
I sure miss him.
Here's a picture of Dad's old knife, along with a carving that CARVIN DON here on AAPK made for me to give to Dad back in 2011. It was one of Dad's greatest treasures, and he always kept carving and knife together on his side table until the end.
Carvin Don's handiwork
Carvin Don's handiwork
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: In time for Father's Day - "Dad's Knife"

Post by peanut740 »

A wonderful tribute to your dad.You miss yours as I mine.My dad passed in 1995.
Roger
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

A well written tribute to your dad! Felt like I was right there following y’all around.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Man! Don’t know what to say. Daddy has the beginning stages of dementia and it sure is hard watching him go down. That sure was a moving tribute.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Very moving Ranger,and that was how that generation was with new things
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A very heartfelt story, Ricky. Enjoyed seeing Carvin Dons work again too.
A grand old knife, your dads. ::tu::
Joe
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Very touching story this time of year when we all think of our Fathers and the many memories of time gone by . I think of mine often
Thanks for sharing Rick ::handshake::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thank you for your touching story. My father passed from this life in December. Just got back from the graveyard a little while ago. I have my dad's Case Trapper. My most prized knife. Scratches dings and all! May your memories move you foward until you meet again.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

That one brought a tear(more than one)to my eyes;thank you for posting it. Ironic that my dad's birthday was on the fourth of this month which was also his wedding day every time he got married(I think it was eight times;I don't know if he remembered).If he were alive he would be one hundred and fifteen.Didn't meet him until I was forty-three years old(long story).When we finally did meet he learned in the course of our conversations that I collected knives and before we left to come home he presented me with a knife he had made while stationed in San Diego on a submarine in 1924.Kind of crude with a piece of bronze pipe for a handle it is a priceless piece for me.
Attachments
DadsKnife 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ricky that was a well written and touching tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

That sure is a well written story and tribute to your dad. Thanks for posting.

Today is Father's Day so it got me thinking to carry my dads knife he always had in
his Sears tool box.I will take it out for supper, then to work starting midnight.

Bob

My dad's knife:
Attachments
obv.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ricky, I'm sorry for your loss. I wouldn't wish Alzheimer's on my worst enemy. Add the cancers and it's a horror story. My best to you this Father's Day and every day.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Blue,
Your heartfelt story got me to thinking about my Dad who passed in '85. We sure had some good times together hunting and fishing and such.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Thanks for the kind words guys.
K7K, that knife your Dad made is a treasure!
Bob, that is a great idea to carry your Dad's knife today. I think I will do the same!
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, EVERYONE. ::ds::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Great story Rick.. Sorry for your loss..
John
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

A great tribute! The carving and knife would bring a smile, to my face, every time I looked at it! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Ricky, sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful, hardworking, and practical Dad. Thanks for sharing your tribute to him. Bruce
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

A moving tribute pal!! Much respect to you, your dad and his lifelong companion!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

What a wonderful tribute to your dad, Ricky! I also lost my dad a few years back. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone.

My dad loved and used cutlery all his life, but wasn't smitten to just one knife. He regained an interest later in life when I started doing mods, giving him a few along the way. He also had a few he enjoyed out of my Schrade knife roll that he made his own.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”