Price Check.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Price Check.

Post by cody6268 »

I saw this one on eBay. It's a Kutmaster Caterpillar promo piece. Personally, I don't think it's worth anywhere near the $80 the seller is wanting. Kutmaster made loads of promos like this one, and they're rarely expensive. I really want to get this one for a buddy of mine who ran CAT equipment for more than 30 years, but I personally feel the $80 price tag is a bit bloated. To me, I wouldn't give over $50, and even that's excessive. I know Kutmaster had the CAT license for many years (until recently, quite actually) and made all sorts of American made knives with CAT branding. And most I found for WAY less than the asking price.

I have essentially the same knife, albeit with steel scales (with just the CAT logo cast into them), a partially serrated blade and an etched tang stamp. At $15, it's a far better deal; and as something to be used and carried; it's perfectly fine. Carry mine all the time; especially when I don't want to gunk or beat up my Buck 110 (the Kutmaster is also slimmer). Still American made too. But, I can't find any more of them since I bought mine a couple years back.
s-l1600KC.jpg
s-l1600KC.jpg
s-l1600KC1.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Price Check.

Post by kootenay joe »

There is not much demand for Kutmaster knives and knife value is strictly based on supply vs. demand. His only chance for getting $80 is for a novice collector to really like the knife and not check around for Kutmaster selling prices.
I suggest you do send him an offer for what it is worth to you and include a note as to why your offer is a reasonable one. Many sellers list high, fishing for suckers, but will accept less because they are aware of actual market value.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

cody6268 wrote:I saw this one on eBay. It's a Kutmaster Caterpillar promo piece. Personally, I don't think it's worth anywhere near the $80 the seller is wanting. Kutmaster made loads of promos like this one, and they're rarely expensive. I really want to get this one for a buddy of mine who ran CAT equipment for more than 30 years, but I personally feel the $80 price tag is a bit bloated. To me, I wouldn't give over $50, and even that's excessive. I know Kutmaster had the CAT license for many years (until recently, quite actually) and made all sorts of American made knives with CAT branding. And most I found for WAY less than the asking price.

I have essentially the same knife, albeit with steel scales (with just the CAT logo cast into them), a partially serrated blade and an etched tang stamp. At $15, it's a far better deal; and as something to be used and carried; it's perfectly fine. Carry mine all the time; especially when I don't want to gunk or beat up my Buck 110 (the Kutmaster is also slimmer). Still American made too. But, I can't find any more of them since I bought mine a couple years back.

s-l1600KC.jpgs-l1600KC.jpg

s-l1600KC1.jpg
I recently gave a Kutmaster Cat knife away after getting NO interest at all even at 15 dollars. It wasn’t brass but actually a really nice lockback. Really surprised and disappointed in the selling prices of these Kutmasters. I think you are correct that paying 80 is just way too much for that knife. Compared to some Winchester brass knives I have had and sold, I wouldn’t expect to give over 30 for that and honestly 25 is pushing it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I paid $31.94 for this on Ebay and I probably overpaid.
Attachments
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:I paid $31.94 for this on Ebay and I probably overpaid.

Rick, That has to be one of the nicest brass Winchester’s I’ve ever seen. That one would be worth a premium. I like the proud Olin on there. Many people don’t know about this fine old chemical company that owns Winchester. Nice to see it displayed like this on the handles.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Rick, That has to be one of the nicest brass Winchester’s I’ve ever seen. That one would be worth a premium. I like the proud Olin on there. Many people don’t know about this fine old chemical company that owns Winchester. Nice to see it displayed like this on the handles.
Thank you, Mark. My Grandfather retired from Olin Brass in East Alton, Illinois. He always referred to the plant as "The Western". He never called it Olin even though that was the name of the place. When he passed I missed my chance to get one of his knives.
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Rick, That has to be one of the nicest brass Winchester’s I’ve ever seen. That one would be worth a premium. I like the proud Olin on there. Many people don’t know about this fine old chemical company that owns Winchester. Nice to see it displayed like this on the handles.
Thank you, Mark. My Grandfather retired from Olin Brass in East Alton, Illinois. He always referred to the plant as "The Winchester". He never called it Olin even though that was the name of the place. When he passed I missed my chance to get one of his knives.

That’s a fine example you have. Maybe he worked for the ammo division? And not the chlor-alkali or the hth part of the company. Most folks just know Winchester and not Olin. I put a lot of clients into their stock over the years. I always got a blank look when I mentioned Olin, then I would say, they own Winchester, and the light went on right away and they would almost always say yes let’s invest in that. It’s a good ole company and pays a nice dividend too.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I just got home from work and I was thinking about my post on the drive home. Not that it matters a whole lot but Grandpa referred to it as "The Western" not "The Winchester". I've edited my post to reflect that.

Mark, I'm not sure which division Grandpa worked in but he told us kids that he used to haul Nitro Glycerin in the bed of a truck. I always thought he was pulling our legs but I never really knew for sure.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Olin also made or had their name on, a fine brand of alpine skis.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”