Leather Newbie needs advice!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Poor-Richard

Re: Leather Newbie needs advice!

Post by Poor-Richard »

Hello all,

Been lurking for a couple years and this is my first post. I apologize for the improper introduction but thought to comment when I saw this thread.

First, the OP's work looks very good.

Second, if you think hand stitching takes a long time, have you been using a stitching pony? You'd be surprised how much faster the work goes with one.

Third (and I hope this isn't inappropriate), if one felt so inclined to find a forum catering to leatherwork they may, if they choose so, google " leatherworker forums".

You might also dirrect some of your questions to some of the youtubers who work in leather.

I sincerely hope this post is offensive or in violation of any rules and if it does please accept my apologies.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I joined a leather group, and so far have only re-stitched some sheaths and made missing straps with snaps. I found the snaps at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's look poor quality as per what I bought at an area Tandy Leather store. I have a clamp on vice that will work as a stitching pony. Plenty of videos and how to make your own. Best for double needle stitching, and looks like you sit over the base to hold it. Triangle shaped needles for piercing leather and blunt tip when going through the same hole twice to prevent thread damage.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86448-clamp-vise/
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

I'll keep my eyes open for the info.
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

mrwatch and poor richard: thanks for the heads up on snaps. I've thrown away as many as I've used due to poor quality. I have a home-made stitching pony with a table clamp, one of many changes to the original design. Being so new to the craft, I'm constantly looking for improvements to the equipment I use. My next project (for me!) is a proper stitching pony on a bench. Researching plans now. In time i'll look at other forums. I just happened to come here first, and really glad I did....great bunch of folks here with all kinds of knowledge, and a premium site to boot.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

And here it is ---> viewforum.php?f=115
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”