Unknown Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
joesskankshack

Unknown Knife

Post by joesskankshack »

Would anyone be able to help me identify anything about this knife? There are no marking on it, which has made me lost on where to start looking.
Attachments
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_6337.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unknown Knife

Post by edge213 »

Looks Pakistan made to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

My first thought was also Pakistan.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The colorful chunks of red and green plywood, the unfinished and unpolished brass guard and butt cap and the unpolished handle material and the gaps between the layers in the handle seems to be the calling card of inexpensive Pakistani knives.

I have seen knives from Pakistan that look better than this one, but you can still tell that they did not take the time to finish the knife properly. You will often see deep scratches in the blade, and the guard and handle where they changed from a very coarse abrasive to a much finer abrasive that couldn't remove the deep scratches left from the previous abrasive.

Often when you "Read the Knife" to borrow a phrase from Bernard Levine, you will see that the little details in the workmanship are often a more sure clue to the origin of the knife than a tang stamp or a signed COA!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Yep hand made by ole Paki Stan. ::woot::
joesskankshack

Post by joesskankshack »

orvet wrote:The colorful chunks of red and green plywood, the unfinished and unpolished brass guard and butt cap and the unpolished handle material and the gaps between the layers in the handle seems to be the calling card of inexpensive Pakistani knives.

I have seen knives from Pakistan that look better than this one, but you can still tell that they did not take the time to finish the knife properly. You will often see deep scratches in the blade, and the guard and handle where they changed from a very coarse abrasive to a much finer abrasive that couldn't remove the deep scratches left from the previous abrasive.

Often when you "Read the Knife" to borrow a phrase from Bernard Levine, you will see that the little details in the workmanship are often a more sure clue to the origin of the knife than a tang stamp or a signed COA!
I did notice that the knife was not finished properly and that there is a lack of quality. I wanted to confirm some of these specs on the knife since I would like to sell it, but it may be more of a hassle than anything else.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I of course agree with the info from Dale but will add that there are some reasonably well finished knives from Pakistan Their knife making seems to be where China was 20 or more years ago and as with China the standards are improving over time. I have never used one so i don't know how good the steel blade might be, but i suspect that some of the more recently made blades from Pakistan have decent steel, reasonable grinds and good heat treatment. The only way to find out would be to buy a bunch of different Pakistan made knives and try them out. A few might be reasonably good.
If your knife has a sheath and you sold it for say $25 you would not be ripping off the buyer.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I think this could also be a kit knife blade that was sold to be finished by the buyer. The blade looks very similar to some of the blades currently on the market. Looking at the pictures it appears that the brass guard may be silver soldered at the blade joint, if so, I would be a sign that it is a kit knife blade rather than a prefinished import.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you want to sell it, start it at a dollar (with appropriate postage of course) and put in the listing, "I know nothing about this knife. What you see is what you get."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”