Poll - Which are you more likely to buy off eBay?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.

Which are you more likely to buy off eBay?

A knife (or auction) with Free Shipping?
12%
A knife you think is a bit over priced but the shipping is free?
3%
A knife that's in your wheelhouse but there are shipping costs?
14%
A knife you don't need but what the heck, the shipping is less than $5.
5%
A knife you really want but the shipping cost is more than $5.
14%
A knife you need for your collection but the shipping cost is way out of line?
3%
A knife you are determined to own and the price and or shipping cost are immaterial.
20%
I don't pay any attention to the shipping cost.
5%
It doesn't matter because I don't buy off eBay.
19%
You missed an option.
5%

Total votes: 59

Steve Warden

Re: Poll - Which are you more likely to buy off eBay?

Post by Steve Warden »

I wasn't going to vote or post, until I saw the "I don't buy from ebay" option.
While I'm sure many have done well, even a real steal or two, I've also heard a lot of horror stories.
I've never purchased from the 'bay, doubt I ever will.

But that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I always factor in the cost of shipping in deciding if I want the knife. I keep a spread sheet of the knives I buy...it has one value listed that is equal to the price of the knife + shipping. I don't know if it was free shipping or 5.99 for the shipping. In my mind, it's irrelevant. The price of the knife is what it cost me. So my bid, on eBay factors that in.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I avoid auctions where the seller insists on charging the buyer $7.90 for the usps priority box (for their convenience) when I know it only costs a bit over three dollars to ship it first class. Its only a few bucks, but the whole thing rubs me wrong ... i have to really want a knife to deal with those $8 shipping box sellers
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Lansky1 wrote:I avoid auctions where the seller insists on charging the buyer $7.90 for the usps priority box (for their convenience) when I know it only costs a bit over three dollars to ship it first class. Its only a few bucks, but the whole thing rubs me wrong ... i have to really want a knife to deal with those $8 shipping box sellers
I don't mind that too much but I absolutely understand what you mean. Those flat rate boxes are designed to ship anything that will fit in the box for one flat rate.

If I'm shipping say, a Case Medium Stockman, I don't need a box that big. I could probably fit 4 or 5 of those in one flat rate box. Those boxes are only an advantage when you're shipping something that would cost more if you used a different box.

In my experience, First Class is usually just as fast as Priority Mail and when it isn't, it only takes 1 day longer to arrive.

This is probably why USPS lets us have those flat rate boxes for free. They know that many people over pay for shipping when they use them.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote:Wade, your last thought, "I'm a broke cheapskate", is also listed as my MOS. ::tu::
Treefarmer
::handshake::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

I voted you missed an option

I make my decision based on the total cost.

You have to “count the cost” in everything you do. Look at the big picture and look for hidden costs and the total cost of ownership.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

eveled wrote:I voted you missed an option

I make my decision based on the total cost.

You have to “count the cost” in everything you do. Look at the big picture and look for hidden costs and the total cost of ownership.
I only had ten lines to cover as many bases as possible. I do the same thing as you (deciding based on total cost and bidding with the shipping factored in to decide my top bid) and yet I didn't think of that one. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

::tu::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Due to past disappointments with sorry W&T in pocketknives, I usually only buy fixed blade knives on eBay. However I love to get free shipping and if I think the shipping is overpriced I won’t buy the knife unless it’s an old Buck 100 series and underpriced (that way it’s a wash). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”